Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to run the Washington Back Country Discovery Route in its entirety, starting tomorrow.
For those unfamiliar, this is an almost entirely off pavement route from the Oregon to the Canadian border across Washington state.

We will be running the first few days with another frontier and finishing the rest on our own. For Washington, this is still early in the season and reports suggest that with the snow melting slow this year, and recent rains. . .we could have quite the adventure coming up.

I'll be throwing up some photos of our packing and prep from the trip over today and tomorrow morning, then once we get back photos and tales of the trip itself.

Pic just because.

·
Registered
84 Posts
im looking forward to reading about your trip. some friends and i have been wanting to do this as well but trying to coordinate schedules makes it a little difficult. take care and have fun!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well getting stuff staged to head out, figured you guys might want to see some of our load out and how we have organized some of our stuff. Loading the truck in the morning and I'll get photos of how it all goes together while still giving the dog the whole backseat and us plenty of room up front.

First off, our tent and bits. These all go in the bed of the truck and actually help divide up storage spaces back there.

Tools. Lots of tools. Including an electric impact and electric drill with 2 batteries for each. As well as pretty much all the hand tools to fix anything that might arise.

Recovery bits. Snatch block, soft shackles, winch extension line, gloves.

Reactions: Intruder

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
General toiletries and supplies. (bug spray, sunscreen, **** tickets, baby wipes/shower cloths etc)

Equipment and spares (lantern, flashlight, batteries, cigar tools, fire stuff)

Foodstuff, coffee, whiskey, and equipment. We go with camp/backpacking food for dinners as they are easy to make and cleanup, don't require cooler space (because beer is importanter)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My supervisor making sure I was packing her stuff correctly
Dog food, treats, towels, small doggy first aid kit and bowls.

Sleeping bag with a few extra blankets stuffed in there, in case it gets a little cold in the mountains. We really like this bag, it has been fantastic the past couple years. We also have 3 inch self filling sleeping pads that slip into the back of this and are held secure so you don't just wake up on the ground. Highly recommend if you camp with a significant other on the regular.

Fly rig and equipment. Really hoping to get a line wet and some fish caught on this trip, been far too long.

Reactions: Intruder

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got all loaded up, about to hit the road!
Behind drivers seat: fishing rig, tools, lanterns and equipment, dog supplies

Center and passenger side: Sleeping bag, toiletries, range bag, jackets/rainshells

Rear seat: Whole space for the dog, and a couple cheapy camp dog beds.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the bag we use for clothes and pillows. Heavy duty PVC construction with a double layer bottom it's not submersible, but pretty damn waterproof.. Bonus is the cinch straps that really compress it.

Roof Rack: Maxxtrax, recovery gear bag underneath, previously mentioned bag (upside down so the double layer bottom will take any branches without worry, and sleeping pads. Really glad @eolivas made this thing, it has been well worth it!

Bed: Tent, ground cloth, tent fly, cooler, camp chairs and larger tools

I'll update this once we return! Bon Voyage!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Have a safe trip Matt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Skinny06

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Alright, compiling the photos from the two friends that joined us for the first half, and all of the photos my co-pilot/boss lady took and will get some kinda order to the following posts.

There were only 2 short sections where an unmodified frontier would have had trouble, or have been unable to pass. One was just some deep ruts and remaining mud, and the other was 4-6 severe washouts along a steep moutainside. The washouts were serious enough obstacles, with some very real consequences, so we didn't get many photos/video of them as spotting became very important.

Other than those two things, I highly recommend the trip to anyone who likes this sort of stuff. If your truck is stock, you'll have to plan a bit more time in, strictly because some of the route is pretty ruff and with stock suspension you'll have to plod along slowly.

The truck after being unpacked. What you can't see is the damn dust that covered EVERYTHING. I'll be finding it for years, and probably could still sandblast a vehicle that follows close behind.

The engine bay, that was clean (not pristine, but clean) before the trip. Kudos to the AEM dryflow filter I run, it did a damn fine job not letting dirt pass, and was easy to rinse out once home.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reactions: mv213

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, I'm still waiting on some photos from the first half of the trip and will likely break up postings into days we were on the road. Once the friends we were with for the first few days upload their stuff to my dropbox I'll properly sort and post.

However, I figured I could start with the casualties of the trip. Any good adventure comes with some conflict/problems.

One. The dust. Everywhere and in everything. I could probably spend another 20-30 minutes vacuuming out the inside of the truck and not get it all. Mid way through the trip we did stop in civilization to spray the radiators out with a water hose as we knew following one another would lead to them being pretty dust filled. Boy were we right, my buddies ultragauge reported temps dropping 15-20 degrees in the few miles after.

Two. No photo here, may add one later. We pulled off forest service roads to pass through a small town. Apparently we missed, or pulled out in the middle of a road section that had just been re-sealed (chip seal roads) So I'll be spending a lot of time with some goo gone, or olive oil (old timer suggested it to me in a tiny town and said he's been doing it successfully for years to remove tar/oil/road sealant)

Three. This one is the worst of the damage. Also, kinda pisses me off. The maxtraxx on our roof rack decided to flop over and off the side, still strapped to the roof rack. They dented the door just by the rear window. Annoying because this was 5 miles from home going 65mph. They had survived and not budged an inch the whole trip. Rocky and bouncy roads at speed. Highway and passing cars up to 85/90mph. 2 mountain passes. Nope, barely 5 miles from home, after all of that, a crosswind on a bridge did it.

Reactions: The other Sean

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day 1. Bridge Of The Gods/Stevenson, WA -> Almost Packwood
The start of the trip and first day were largely uneventful. Got up, packed up and drove to Puyallup to meet some friends. Cruised down I5 and then to Stevenson to fuel up, grab ice, and lunch before starting to explore Gifford Pinchot NF. Shortest day on trail, also really easy driving just got to enjoy the scenery, and find a good camp spot.

Just pulled of tarmac and into the adventure.

Mt. Adams was out to enjoy the sun.

This was the downside to going as a group. If following, the dust was pretty bad and lingered quite a long time. No way to avoid it really.

Reactions: PRO-4NTX

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Day 1: Cont.

Our camp spot was at the back of a little pocket valley and had a nicely sized creek burbling away next to it.

My buddy used a truck bed tent, and a custom platform he built for himself. The other buddy had a small REI tent he's had for 20 years and it after the stories he told, I'm sold on one when I get a backpacking/moto camping tent.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Subbed ...Thanks for posting...freekin awesome !!! ....I am jealous.
Not sure how remote these trails are but the only thing I would add is a chainsaw...but its one of those murphy's law things ...if you bring a chainsaw you wont need one, and well if you don't.... you know.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Subbed ...Thanks for posting...freekin awesome !!! ....I am jealous.
Not sure how remote these trails are but the only thing I would add is a chainsaw...but its one of those murphy's law things ...if you bring a chainsaw you wont need one, and well if you don't.... you know.
My buddy in the red truck had one with him, that he loaned to me when we parted ways. Fortunately ended up not needing it, though we did drag some trees out of the way at one campsite with the truck and some rope

Reactions: MNCarl
1 - 20 of 63 Posts