Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with the 2020 Frontier and the new 9 speed transmission it has, does anyone have any idea if you can put that transmission in an older truck. Seems to me, that 9 speed transmission would offer better fuel mileage and not so many gear changes while driving in varying conditions.

Thoughts?

Mike

·
Registered
193 Posts
Since it bolts to the new engine, I would assume that bolt patterns are different but who knows. Probably have to check with the dealership

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If it even bolts to the engine (remember a new engine as well) you now need a computer to shift it. The new engine is a different size, different HP, surely different power curves. How will you get a computer for a 5-speed to work on a 9-speed? Or more correctly how will you get a computer that is expected to talk to a new engine talk to the old engine?

I'm just going to say, no. There will not be any putting the 9-speed behind the 4.0 engine.
Someone (in many years) might take a '20 and gut it and put it into an old body shell. Which will be a bit pointless since the '20 is the same old truck just a new engine and transmission. So even that isn't likely, except to maybe rebuild a couple wrecked trucks into one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 2020 and I'm not impressed with the new transmission. The 5 speed in my 2017,2016 and 2014 was a much nicer shifting unit, especially at low speeds (parking lots, or taking off slowly from a stop).

·
Registered
659 Posts
So, with the 2020 Frontier and the new 9 speed transmission it has, does anyone have any idea if you can put that transmission in an older truck. Seems to me, that 9 speed transmission would offer better fuel mileage and not so many gear changes while driving in varying conditions.

Thoughts?

Mike
I would go test drive one of those Rams then report back all Ive heard is driving down road hit a light incline "Any" or wind gusts make those transmissions shift

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is a one off 2020 model and could be a isolated issue to this model year. I expect the third generation to shift better. Expect the mapping to be different. That's why I ended up getting a 2019 pro 4X. Because it has a no nonsense transmission with hydraulic steering and port injection instead of DI. None of that active learning BS and computers trying to maximize MPG's by up shifting and killing torque. All the modern transmissions do it. From what I hear the 9 speed on the Nissan is better then that crappy 6 speed on the taco. The 10 on the Ford will jump gears all over the place buts its smooth and the mapping was done right. From what I hear the 9 speed is not as smooth on the fronty as it is on the Titan. Really not hearing complaints about the 9 in the titan like you do on the Fronty. But I expect some of the issue is getting used to the newer transmission. Many owners driving the 2020 like the 9 speed. I expect that could be their first Frontier. The other concern I have is the 3.8 makes it maximum torque at 4400 rpms instead of 4K like the VQ 40. This means that low end torque is better on the VQ40 but that will be offset by the transmission and that added HP. In the end the 2020 accelerates the same and the MPG's are about the same as a 19. Top speed is a little higher (because of gearing). But overall, I expected more from the newer motor. Not seeing much advantage here. Maybe towing will do better. Who knows.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
The first thing that comes to me is the cost of the 9-speed transmission! A new, 7-speed AT out of a Titan is about $10,000! If you want to go used, where are you going to find a Nissan 9-speed AT? The next thing would be if the ECM and TCM will communicate via the CAN bus system. It's a worthy question, but I don't think it makes a lot of practical sense to do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the 2020 Frontiers switched to CAN bus already. My truck now has a little over 8k on it and the transmissions still shipping pretty roughly, but the rough shifts are still intermittant. My dealer has told me that its still "breaking in" but I think its wishful thinking. Its not terrible or a deal breaker, but its disappointing in a new truck.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
I found out that the new, 9-speed AT is a sealed unit, meaning there is no dipstick or dipstick tube, making servicing just that much more difficult.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
Dealer maintenance..🙄
Yeah, or get the tools to service it yourself. I'm not sure what the procedure is on the Nissan unit, but on Ford, you need a fitting and a fluid transfer pump to get the fluid it. Some trannies require a scan tool to do the job. I'm not thrilled nor impressed with the design as dipsticks have worked fine for a hundred years, but it is what it is!

Reactions: MiniDuti

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a 2021 s king cab 4x4 and i'm mostly worried about the transmission, although it is shifting really smooth, anyone know anything about it? Have they used it in other vehicles, the parts content sticker said it was made in Japan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Chrysler mini van just has a cap on the transmission dip stick tube, I bought a "special" dip stick to check it with, but its for a bunch of different vehicles and it about 3 feet to long to leave in there, it comes with a chart for the different transmissions. I think having a dip stick is a real challenge for lots of people these days! I see the younger crowd broke down on the freeway and they just sit in their cars waiting for someone to come, I won't stop to help someone who won't even get out of their car!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
“Quote”
the parts content sticker said it was made in Japan.

Probably not a bad thing! Although I’m not sure about the new transmissions yet but you should be ok.

Welcome to the forum Gunnar!

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
I just bought a 2021 s king cab 4x4 and i'm mostly worried about the transmission, although it is shifting really smooth, anyone know anything about it? Have they used it in other vehicles, the parts content sticker said it was made in Japan.
The Jatco JR913E is currently used in the Titan.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Lets put the source of the 9 speed to rest. https://www.alliance-2022.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/89933.pdf
On page 4

5.) License for Daimler next-generation 9-speed automatic transmissionsFacts:
  • Nissan has been granted a license to manufacture Daimler’s advanced 9-speed automatic transmission with latest technology for use in Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.
  • The transmissions will be manufactured in Japan by Nissan’s subsidiary Jatco starting in 2018 and will feature "start and stop" and "park and shift by wire” technologies.
LIke I've said many times before on this forum. It's a daimler benz design. It might have a Jatco part number but the truth of the matter is Nissan did not have the cash to develop the 9 speed on their own. Not even remotely so. So they licensed one from the Germans.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Lol.......... I can give a license to build a tranny to a family of chimpanzee's, but I can promise you what they end up building won't be the same tranny Hanz built in Munchen twenty years ago. All the old thoughts of fine german craftsman ship are from decades ago, I don't think any german cars are currently considered any higher quality than Mazda,Hyundai or any other U.S. cars. So Jatco's product is no better or worse than any of the others, nothing to sing about from what I can tell.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts