Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi, do you think that the 3.8 V6 with 9spd can be purchase as a combo to be fitted to an older chassis? (2011MY). Interested to retain my chassis but with that engine and tranny combo.
I would think absolutely yes since they're using the 2nd gen chassis and body for the 2020 MY. The bump in horsepower sounds nice, but 93% new parts does not... According to everything I'm reading, it also says this isn't related to the old 4 liter nor the GT-R engine... so is this a new engine family, as well?

·
Registered
2011 SV 4x4 Long bed, BFG TA KO LT Tires
39 Posts
more gears doesn't always mean better mpg, actually I think it was the yukon that got 3 more gears and actually less MPG, one or the other.

My old 3 speed ran at like 4500 rpm at 70mph, but still got 40mpg :)
I guess so, since it will be going on the same chassis with the same rear end ratio and pretty much same curb weight. Anyways, i will be keeping a close look on that truck once it hit the showroom and maybe ask some more questions to the parts department regarding it. At the moment those are the mods i am thinking of doing on my 2011 since gas mileage is almost not par with the advertise ( i know the truck is a thirsty one to begin with).

·
Registered
39 Posts
You'd be better off buying the 2020 with what you would pay for that combo and labor. Plus you would want to find someone with a little more knowledge than the dealer for that question about engine and tranny fitment. 😂

Welcome to the forum in case I missed you!
Yes, i am also looking on the cost of the actual build compare to just trading in my current one for that 2020 model, and given it will only be its first year, i doubt anybody has done it already. Thank you for the welcome.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would think absolutely yes since they're using the 2nd gen chassis and body for the 2020 MY. The bump in horsepower sounds nice, but 93% new parts does not... According to everything I'm reading, it also says this isn't related to the old 4 liter nor the GT-R engine... so is this a new engine family, as well?
From the looks and sound of it, a very new engine from the ones they already have. Getting the hardwares for that engine aside from the engine and tranny is also going to cost much for thay particular build even if i am after for tranny alone.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Getting the motor to fit the chassis ain't the problem, it's gonna be a nightmare to get the computers to communicate with eachother.I doubt if it's doable unless you have the cash to hire some coders and IT guys.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'd just trade up for the 3.8+9 spd combo.
The time, energy, and money to swap it into an older Frontier would cost more than just upgrading, besides, then very very few people would want to buy that truck used when you go to sell it, knowing it's not a manufacturers build is enough to scare most away.

And those worried about first year build and reliability...I would worry very little. Car manufacturers these days do lots and lots of computer spec and real world testing before releasing a product. Sure there may still be some small things to work out, but most of those things can be remedied via recalls or TSB's. And if not, and there are too many problems, that's what lemon laws are for, then you get a buyback from the manufacturer and go get something else with the money they gave you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There wouldn’t be a need for recalls and TSBs if computer testing translated into real world results. The real test mules are the ones in consumer garages. I feel like there was a brand that’s had continued trouble with CVTs...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know it will probably end up like truck from the magazine build ups, but yes it will surely cost more to do it, the parts, the labor hours and even the correcting that will happen if i got the engine and tranny fitted to the chassis. Surely trading it in is the cost effective way to get that combo. Bottom line, it's still a few years to go, what ever bugs may have been corrected already, and if there will be a used one after the first few years, it will cheap enough to buy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Will be pouring a STP fuel injector cleaner on my next fill up. Any thoughts and experience on that?

·
Registered
495 Posts
It'll be fine,good stuff. Virtually all fuel system and injector cleaners made all use the same chemical patented in the 1980's by Chevron as "Techron". I have been using Gumout brand lately as I read somewhere that it has a higher concentration of techron in it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Will be pouring a STP fuel injector cleaner on my next fill up. Any thoughts and experience on that?
Most gas stations premium gas has cleaners in them, some put the cleaners in all octanes of their gas.
If your regular gas station only puts it in premium, every so often just fill up with the premium to clean the injectors and fuel system out.
If you have a station close to you that puts the cleaner in all grades of their gas, and they are priced competitively, just use them on your 87 Octane fill ups and you should be good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most gas stations premium gas has cleaners in them, some put the cleaners in all octanes of their gas.
If your regular gas station only puts it in premium, every so often just fill up with the premium to clean the injectors and fuel system out.
If you have a station close to you that puts the cleaner in all grades of their gas, and they are priced competitively, just use them on your 87 Octane fill ups and you should be good.
I normally go to where the gas is cheap for me or what's nearest whenever my gas light comes on, so dont know if some of the fuels here aside from Shell has that cleaner. Either way i guess it wouldn't hurt to try it on my next full tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It'll be fine,good stuff. Virtually all fuel system and injector cleaners made all use the same chemical patented in the 1980's by Chevron as "Techron". I have been using Gumout brand lately as I read somewhere that it has a higher concentration of techron in it.
Yeah i know, it's more of pour it and forget it. I'll also look if my fuel range will somehow be improve which i doubt it will but doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dropped by a local Nissan dealership to get a price on parts for my truck and did ask the sales guy about the 2020 truck, and they say that we will unlikely get the 2020 here but looks positive about the 2021 landing here next year.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts