Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that there would be no 2020 Frontier as the new Frontier would be debuting at the end of 2020.
However, a dealer GSM told me today that there will in fact be a 2020 Frontier, but it will be a short 6 month run of them.

Anybody know if this is correct?
If so, when would they be hitting dealers considering it's already 2020 and the ones arriving for the past two weeks are still 2019 models?
I realize the 2020 would be exactly the same as the 2019 (and many years prior) but if the 2020's start arriving, then it would be a good time to make an even better deal on a 2019.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Seems to be a matter of opinion?

2020 or 2020

Get the old ones while they last!

I rented a 2017 SV CC 4x4 in 2017, 2018 PRO4X in 2018, 2019 SL CC 4x4 in 2019 and bought a 2019 PRO4X in November and could find no discernible differences other than the trim levels. Other than the backup camera &etc, my 2014 SV CC 4x4 is pretty much the same effect. Should be plenty of parts around for the foreseeable future?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm curious as there is no 2020 Frontier listings in Canada but plenty of new 2019 trucks available. Typically the next model year would have been available back in November.

I wonder if the 3rd gen is going to arrive sooner than we think as the 2020 MY truck, wouldn't surprise me one bit.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
With all that it takes to design and tool up to build a new truck, why would they only produce it for 6 months. The second gen ran for 15 years. With all that is going on at Nissan we can expect delays on anything that needs money to make happen.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2020 wouldn't be the new truck, it would be the 16th year of the current one.
The 2021 is when the new truck is coming and that same GSM told me they will arrive in dealerships in late November or early December.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Besides looking for a good deal, this is why I bought my Pro4x in December 2019. I thought it was odd that Nissan had not released a 2020 Frontier yet. I am sure the new model is impacting this and IF there is a 2020 model, I suspect a limit production (which could impact the buyer friendly prices).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've also been wondering the same thing. Nissan's website still show's the 2019 model as current model and Nissan's news website does not have a press release for a 2020 Frontier.

I remember back in 2015 Nissan skipped that model year for the Maxima but brought out the 2016 Models during the summer of 2015. I can't imagine Nissan continuing to produce and sell 2019 Frontier's late into 2020. Why not just produce 2020 models instead?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've also been wondering the same thing. Nissan's website still show's the 2019 model as current model and Nissan's news website does not have a press release for a 2020 Frontier.

I remember back in 2015 Nissan skipped that model year for the Maxima but brought out the 2016 Models during the summer of 2015. I can't imagine Nissan continuing to produce and sell 2019 Frontier's late into 2020. Why not just produce 2020 models instead?

My thoughts on that are this:

Nissan decided it was better to just produce model year 2019's until early 2020.
Then with the amount still on the lots to sell they'll use that time to start promoting the new 2021 coming at the end of the year.
Making a 2020 model year would be a waste of time and money as people will start to hear of the 2021 models coming soon and the 2020's will sit on the lots.
I think there are enough 2019's on lots now to carry those interested in the old model for the next couple of months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
you hit the nail on the head.
Because nissan is having issues with the messy relationship with renault and the fact that everyone keeps whining and complaining about the frontier being the same old truck they dont need to make "more of the same" as that will hurt their reputation even more, frontiers arent included in the mid size truck discussion anymore so they should be figuring out how to update it and use it as a come back into the scene.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A 6-month run called model year 2020? They call them 2020s because they ran out of months in 2019. They're emptying the parts bins, build 'til they are gone, then shut down and re-tool the plant for the new truck.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
It is not like it need to be a different truck. They just slap a date on it. What ever year trucks are often not made in the same year even.

I think it is a marketing thing.

·
Registered
2011 SV 4x4 Long bed, BFG TA KO LT Tires
39 Posts
Hi, do you think that the 3.8 V6 with 9spd can be purchase as a combo to be fitted to an older chassis? (2011MY). Interested to retain my chassis but with that engine and tranny combo.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi, do you think that the 3.8 V6 with 9spd can be purchase as a combo to be fitted to an older chassis? (2011MY). Interested to retain my chassis but with that engine and tranny combo.
I've got to admit, the nine speed auto sounds interesting. I would imagine with that many gears, it will have a manual mode rather than the range selector on the five speed, which would be an improvement IMO. As for the engine, the 3.8 is rated just a little bit higher in HP and the same in torque, so I wouldn't trade up just for that. I'm a little bit tempted to trade up, but I really like my 2017, and it's probably not worth the money to get a 2020.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got to admit, the nine speed auto sounds interesting. I would imagine with that many gears, it will have a manual mode rather than the range selector on the five speed, which would be an improvement IMO. As for the engine, the 3.8 is rated just a little bit higher in HP and the same in torque, so I wouldn't trade up just for that. I'm a little bit tempted to trade up, but I really like my 2017, and it's probably not worth the money to get a 2020.
Yeah i guess, since the engine is a Direct injection, given the problems it normally has on the first year of production. I would like to have the 9spd though to be mated to the current engine if possible, it might improve my fuel range.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
IIRC, one of the several articles currently out there stated that a 10% increase over the 2.5 I4's EPA estimate was what to expect. Not a huge difference comparing the 4.0 V6 to the 2.5 I4, but any improvement is a good thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
IIRC, one of the several articles currently out there stated that a 10% increase over the 2.5 I4's EPA estimate was what to expect. Not a huge difference comparing the 4.0 V6 to the 2.5 I4, but any improvement is a good thing.
Saw some videos in youtube saying the same thing, 10% increase even though higher hp, but having a 9spd tranny to help the engine relax more. I'll wait to be release here in Canada and ask the dealership around if the tranny can be fitted to the current generation 4.0, i'm sure having 4 more gears will help me extend my range.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'd wait a few years on that tranny, they're more trouble some than motors. Look at chevy's 8 spd,its been in production goin on 4 years and they still havent found a fix for the shuddering and are losing millions on warranty hours trying to appease customers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd wait a few years on that tranny, they're more trouble some than motors. Look at chevy's 8 spd,its been in production goin on 4 years and they still havent found a fix for the shuddering and are losing millions on warranty hours trying to appease customers.
Oh yes, i am on the waiting period for everything regarding the upcoming Frontier, be it the engine, engine and tranny, tranny alone or the whole truck itself. Like any other new item on the market, the first year is always the litmus test. The launch just got me hyped up since i'm a Nissan guy myself. I will most likely change some minor to major things in my truck to somehow help my current fuel economy.

·
Registered
935 Posts
more gears doesn't always mean better mpg, actually I think it was the yukon that got 3 more gears and actually less MPG, one or the other.

My old 3 speed ran at like 4500 rpm at 70mph, but still got 40mpg :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
You'd be better off buying the 2020 with what you would pay for that combo and labor. Plus you would want to find someone with a little more knowledge than the dealer for that question about engine and tranny fitment. 😂

Welcome to the forum in case I missed you!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts