Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
LOL, nope, no Lucas aka the Prince of Darkness. Rap on wood, the electrics were stone reliable, never figured to say that about a Brit car ever.
But the engine, well, you saw my laundry list. They should have just bought engines from GM and called it a day. The first Gen engines were BMW / Chrysler and never thought I'd ever say this out loud or in a text, but the Chryslers were actually better. God help us all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'll take a 305TBI. My 2008 Cooper S Turbo was a DI engine, joint venture between the Germans and the French. That should be a first warning right there.
Turbo oil feed lines had rubber O-Rings that melted & leaked, the HP fuel pump failed ( only 1 of 2 items that they actually warrantied ), the vacuum pump was driven off the back end of the camshaft ( intake I think ) and when it puked, it would take the cam drive w/ it, the cam drives used a chain that was too thin and were endemically breaking or skipping teeth, mine was serviced twice, once under the first owner, complete replacement, and then the hydraulic tensioner again when I owned it.

The variable-drive water pump was prone to fail, and mine did, the thermostats would stick, and they were over $400.00 cause the stat was sealed in this monstrous plastic housing that looked all the world like a Jarvic Artificial Heart and had 5 liquid connections and two electrical connections. Replaced that too. The turbo system had a secondary electric water pump for bearing circulation post-shutdown cool-down cycle with a faulty pump drive electronic controller that was prone to catching fire. And they did. YouTube it and watch the barbecue. That got replaced under warranty, didn't cost me anything.

The DI didn't keep the valves clean and so eventually an intake valve coked and ruined the engine, that was the straw that broke the camel's back and shot him twice in the head. Car's long gone, so are the headaches. BTW BMW blamed the owners for all these headaches, citing "lack of maintenance", "wrong oil" etc to stave off the class-action lawsuits they so richly deserved. The owners manual said nothing but the dealer thought it completely reasonable to have to bring your Cooper in every 40k for a walnut shell blasting of the intake valves to remove all the coke, here's your $550.00 bill, thanks a bunch. My Cruise Turbo had none of these issues. Vaunted German engineering my a$$. Chevrolet did it better.

Only way I'd take a DI engine now is if its a hybrid w/ DI and port injection, only way to keep the valves clean. I religiously SeaFoamed that engine through the PCV hose straight into the intake tract, never anything less than 93Premium, fuel injection cleaner in the tank on a regular schedule, Mobil 1 5w30, great car to drive when it was running, handled like a go-cart w/ a roof, but the engine, tie a chain around it and keep your boat in place. If a Chevy EcoTec 2.0L turbo and six-speed would fit in its place, that'd be the solution. 270HP right out the gate and reliable as the day is long. BMW is off my buy list forever.
I completely understand your frustration with that crap. I came from a 2010 335XI, only owned it for 2 years since I didn't want to deal with the crap that was about to come. In the 2 years owned I changed the water pump twice $500 a pop basically for doing the work myself. I had a flat once, oh yeah these cars have no space for a spare... Had to go pick up my winter tire set up with the GF so that I could bring the car home a shop for a low profile tire that no one had available on a Saturday. My headlight projector broke off it's bracket twice and luckily I fixed this myself or else it was $1000 for a replacement. I had acquired the stuff to do the walnut blast myself but never got it before selling, I imagine the person who has it now has to do it soon and probably will need turbo work soon also. the turbos were fine while had it but they were prone to failure by bad design. I also had to replace the oil filter housing gaskets twice because the heat eats at them real quick from that motor taking up the whole engine bay.

That was my second german car, before that I had 2002 A4 which I should have kept for those two years. But now here I am with my Frontier and I can say that I am so happy that I don't have to worry about taking a road trip because of surprising failure parts or a flat...some designs should just be left alone as they seem to work (like port injection)

My 335 was fun when it worked well but always having the everyday fear that my wallet might explode was not worth it. never buying BMW again. - rant lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
Minis are overpriced POS cars, the basic with NO xtras or turbo is a decent one at best, after that its ALL downhill. an engine using both types of injection could be OK, BUT as noted there are usually teething issues with new applications. for me its no issue no manual tranny = NO sale!!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Actually Rod, every issue I had w/ that car was engine related. 100%. I never did anything else to it except upgrade the brake pads for better stopping power ( belonged to the Central Maryland MINI Motoring car club and we drove 'em like we stole 'em ) and added sticky 17" rubber for summer use only. Kept the OE 16"s for winter tires, Firestone Winterhawks, awesome tire, the carcass of an ultraperformance summer tire, the tread and compounding of a snow tire.
I added hood vents from a Datsun 280z to help exhaust the ungodly heat it generated, and uprated the intercooler massively, but other than that, it was all cosmetic work. For some funny reason, at least IMHO, all the Brit stickers, UK flags and badging and stripes and other stuff you can do to a MINI, look hokey or fake on other cars, but on a MINI, they just seem to fit. Its such a funny lookin little thing, you just can't help but smile. And talk about tossable, holy smoke, my SCCA prep'd Camaro would bury the MINI but it was never as fun to drive. Small n lite is just infinitely tossable. My kids loved it too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Consider that this is the first year of this motor and transmission mated to an old setup... Generally speaking you don't want to buy the first year of a new redesign as they generally have more problems and on top of that, they are throwing it on the old platform.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From my understanding, this is an engine that is already in the new body style since 2015 Navara. No harm in buying a "first-year" truck.

·
Registered
187 Posts
From my understanding, this is an engine that is already in the new body style since 2015 Navara. No harm in buying a "first-year" truck.
I thought the Navara only came with the 2.3L diesel in the model years you’ve described? Also, IIRC I think the Alaskan came with the same engine options but also had an option for a 2.5L gas engine?

Can’t imagine either of those being considered the same as what’s going to be offered in the 2020 model.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong I’m in the US market, you know we’re a little “special”..

·
Registered
17 Posts
A turbo, German/French car... oof… the only thing left is if it had British wiring...…
The "Prince of Darkness", beckons.
I am very happy with my new Frontier, a lot better truck than the old Dakota, my truck will stay in the upper teens and 20 plus if not dogged to death, were nissan should have put the money is in an aluminum hood and tailgate,I hope the gas tank is plastic,My SILs 02Frontier had to have the gas tank replaced, they could have tweaked the 4.0 a little,I am thinking like the Mechanics told me, these 4.0s are the go-to engine, very durable I love mine, it actually has enough response you can feel it accelerating,I would venture to say it would probably best a late seventies "Firebird" 0-60,unlike the Dodge I have no problem merging with traffic now( this is kind of screwy I know I put a deposit on a "Cybertruck" I can't crawl under vehicles to service them anymore and my radius of travel is generally less than 80 miles) I will try to keep my Frontier " cherry when it comes time to trade someone will get a bargain.

·
Registered
305 Posts
thats a good thing for sure but are the attachments 300 grade stainless + how eze or not is it to get to the fuel pump if needed!! a while back while walking our pup i seen a guy on roadside looking under his new er looking FORD pickup, i looked too + seen a low hanging fuel tank!!!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'll take a 305TBI. My 2008 Cooper S Turbo was a DI engine, joint venture between the Germans and the French. That should be a first warning right there.
Turbo oil feed lines had rubber O-Rings that melted & leaked, the HP fuel pump failed ( only 1 of 2 items that they actually warrantied ), the vacuum pump was driven off the back end of the camshaft ( intake I think ) and when it puked, it would take the cam drive w/ it, the cam drives used a chain that was too thin and were endemically breaking or skipping teeth, mine was serviced twice, once under the first owner, complete replacement, and then the hydraulic tensioner again when I owned it.

The variable-drive water pump was prone to fail, and mine did, the thermostats would stick, and they were over $400.00 cause the stat was sealed in this monstrous plastic housing that looked all the world like a Jarvic Artificial Heart and had 5 liquid connections and two electrical connections. Replaced that too. The turbo system had a secondary electric water pump for bearing circulation post-shutdown cool-down cycle with a faulty pump drive electronic controller that was prone to catching fire. And they did. YouTube it and watch the barbecue. That got replaced under warranty, didn't cost me anything.

The DI didn't keep the valves clean and so eventually an intake valve coked and ruined the engine, that was the straw that broke the camel's back and shot him twice in the head. Car's long gone, so are the headaches. BTW BMW blamed the owners for all these headaches, citing "lack of maintenance", "wrong oil" etc to stave off the class-action lawsuits they so richly deserved. The owners manual said nothing but the dealer thought it completely reasonable to have to bring your Cooper in every 40k for a walnut shell blasting of the intake valves to remove all the coke, here's your $550.00 bill, thanks a bunch. My Cruise Turbo had none of these issues. Vaunted German engineering my a$$. Chevrolet did it better.

Only way I'd take a DI engine now is if its a hybrid w/ DI and port injection, only way to keep the valves clean. I religiously SeaFoamed that engine through the PCV hose straight into the intake tract, never anything less than 93Premium, fuel injection cleaner in the tank on a regular schedule, Mobil 1 5w30, great car to drive when it was running, handled like a go-cart w/ a roof, but the engine, tie a chain around it and keep your boat in place. If a Chevy EcoTec 2.0L turbo and six-speed would fit in its place, that'd be the solution. 270HP right out the gate and reliable as the day is long. BMW is off my buy list forever.

View attachment 313712
Looks like a neat little car.. why didn’t you keep it? 😂

I know I know... I won’t get you started again!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
LOL MiniDuty, you instigator you.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts