Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just got a 2020 Frontier SV. Love the hell out of it so far. I would like to upgrade the exhaust. Hoping to get a nicer sound and maybe even a little better performance out of it. I have read through some of the posts, but most are pertaining to older year trucks. From my reading, it sounds like I would want to add a resonator as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,898 Posts
The 2020 is not especially well known, the exhaust looks like it was redesigned for the 3.8L motor. I'm not sure we could offer much in the way of useful advice unfortunately.

·
Registered
2021 Pro 4X
49 Posts
Yep, I think we are a few years out from any of those answers. Or you could get your local shop to custom build one for you.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Yep, I think we are a few years out from any of those answers. Or you could get your local shop to custom build one for you.
I would be very cautious with choosing the muffler(s) and resonator(s), its real easy to get "rice" and / or a terrible drone at 2200 to 2800RPM +-, where you will spend quite a bit of time at cruise velocities, you may need a Helmholtz Resonator, as some others have done.
I have a Grand Prix STE with a 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust system and it had a terrible drone til I added a glasspack in-line, right after the catalytic and before it did the back to 1 into 2 split at the rear, where the mufflers reside. Also, these are FlowMaster 40 series twin-chamber so a good part of it was my fault in muffler selection. At WOT however, it sounds great, 7400RPM redline. I would strongly recommend at least three-chamber mufflers if going with a higher-flow system; these are not big-block Chevrolets and getting the deep growl sound w/o any drone is a challenging balancing act.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You won't get better performance from an aftermarket exhaust without a tune. Tuners aren't available for 2017+, especially not 2020+ models.

I would recommend against aftermarket exhausts. It's a V6 midsize pickup, don't make it sound like a fartcan Honda

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
A V-6 never gets “that” sound you’re looking for, I have a Magnaflow cat back on my Wrangler and that is a multiple hundreds of dollars disappointment. I prefer quiet over that to be honest.

Clint

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,898 Posts
If I remember the picture of the 2020 exhaust for the new powertrain, it already lost the awkward Y-pipe monstrosity that the '05-19 had. It looked like there were resonators just before the 2-in 1-out muffler, possibly directly due to drone.

Either way it looks like they made improvements for the 3.8 anyway, so there may not be a lot that could be accomplished.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
199 Posts
If I remember the picture of the 2020 exhaust for the new powertrain, it already lost the awkward Y-pipe monstrosity that the '05-19 had. It looked like there were resonators just before the 2-in 1-out muffler, possibly directly due to drone.

Either way it looks like they made improvements for the 3.8 anyway, so there may not be a lot that could be accomplished.
PXL_20210205_164432137.jpg

Two resonators into a 2-1 muffler. Not visible here is another glasspack looking muffler right before the rear exit, which you can see in this video

As for the OP's question, I think the biggest difference would come from replacing the big 2-1 muffler with a quality aftermarket one from Borla, Corsa, etc. Don't mess with the resonators if you don't want drone.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
199 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pro 4X
49 Posts
I would be very cautious with choosing the muffler(s) and resonator(s), its real easy to get "rice" and / or a terrible drone at 2200 to 2800RPM +-, where you will spend quite a bit of time at cruise velocities, you may need a Helmholtz Resonator, as some others have done.
I have a Grand Prix STE with a 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust system and it had a terrible drone til I added a glasspack in-line, right after the catalytic and before it did the back to 1 into 2 split at the rear, where the mufflers reside. Also, these are FlowMaster 40 series twin-chamber so a good part of it was my fault in muffler selection. At WOT however, it sounds great, 7400RPM redline. I would strongly recommend at least three-chamber mufflers if going with a higher-flow system; these are not big-block Chevrolets and getting the deep growl sound w/o any drone is a challenging balancing act.
Honestly outside of replacing the head unit I have NO desire to modify my truck. I have several other cars that were meant to "go fast" to piss away money on. This one is a daily/boat recovery vehicle. Love it and smokes my 17 4Runner that it replaced. Until there are some proven mods I won't be making them.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
If'n you want a V8 sound, you'll NEED to drop in a V8. V6s are a tough animal to corral sound wise.
The factory exhaust is a keeper on the Gen 2s...and I never thought I'd say that.
As for the Gen 2.5, the jury is out. If you're looking to just replace the 2-in/1-out muffler and didn't mind more noise (and if it was me), I'd look only at stainless steel in Spintech's/Borla's/Gibson's/Magnaflow's/Flowmaster's offerings to see if there's one that might fit the proper dimensions. It will still need custom fabbing at a competent muffler shop to get it snugly in there.

Reactions: HaWkE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well everyone, I think after reading all of the comments I may just leave it alone. Doesn't appear that the cost will produce the desired outcome and I am ok with that. I have a motorcycle that could use some stuff too. I'll just invest in that instead. Thanks for all the feedback! Much appreciated everyone.

·
Super Moderator
3,772 Posts
View attachment 330251

Two resonators into a 2-1 muffler. Not visible here is another glasspack looking muffler right before the rear exit, which you can see in this video

As for the OP's question, I think the biggest difference would come from replacing the big 2-1 muffler with a quality aftermarket one from Borla, Corsa, etc. Don't mess with the resonators if you don't want drone.
I find it interesting that they are going with Marelli rather than Calsonic for the exhaust manufacturer! As far as modifying the exhaust, you'll likely find it only changes the sound and not much of the performance. I can use my 06 Pathfinder as an example. I went with DT shortie headers, eliminated the rear cats with DT mid-pipes, replaced the factory muffler with a Magnaflow 12580 and even installed an aFe Momentum GT CAI and I didn't notice any performance gains whatsoever; even the gas mileage stayed the same! The only things that made any noticeable change in performance was the Superchips tuner and the XTP plenum spacer. Even with all those mods, running a 93 octane tune with a 3-degree timing advance bump, it only gained about a half-second in the 1/4 mile time and 0-60 times. Being that I don't race it and it's a daily driver, was it worth all that expense and labor? My answer would be "no." If I were to do it again, I would do the plenum spacer (because it does make it a lot easier to do the spark plugs/coils) and the tuner and leave everything else stock.

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
...worth noting that smj999smj's Superchip's tuner is only compatible w/ earlier model year Gen 2 Frontiers. Best to consult w/ Superchips or w/ any tuner manufacturer for that matter re: compatibility w/ your model year of Frontier, whatever that may be.

·
Super Moderator
3,772 Posts
...worth noting that smj999smj's Superchip's tuner is only compatible w/ earlier model year Gen 2 Frontiers. Best to consult w/ Superchips or w/ any tuner manufacturer for that matter re: compatibility w/ your model year of Frontier, whatever that may be.
Yes and for some reason they updated the software and you can no longer disable the WOT. If I had a newer Nissan truck, I would go with either the Bully Dog GT or UpRev.

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can add an exhaust from older models, from what I've been told by other 2020 owners is that they had to cut off the flanges that connect to the catalytic converters and just rotate them and weld them back on. Other then that the hangers and everything seem to fit up fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can add an exhaust from older models, from what I've been told by other 2020 owners is that they had to cut off the flanges that connect to the catalytic converters and just rotate them and weld them back on. Other then that the hangers and everything seem to fit up fine.
more info, I'd live to do the nismo exhaust on my 2021.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts