Nissan Frontier Forum banner
41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
407 Posts
I got the TCM update today. Definitely smoother shifting and no down shifting too early.

When making the appt some lady on the phone told me only certain VINs apply and how the service manager would have to take it for a test drive. When I got there I just explained what it was doing and they took it in and did the update with no further questions.
Very strange to me how they say these things. Mine was the same way. I would assume ALL 20/21's are eligible.

·
Premium Member
2020 SV Midnight Edition 4x4
326 Posts
Very strange to me how they say these things. Mine was the same way. I would assume ALL 20/21's are eligible.
They might be all eligible, but the TSB lists very specific TCM part numbers which requires a CONSULT-III Plus to retrieve. Maybe they can pull this up from the VIN also, but the TSB makes no mention of this. My guess is that some service managers don't really understand what is involved so they just ask for the VIN which they need anyways to service your vehicle. I had the TSB reference number (NTB21-073) in hand when I went to the dealer. First they said it wasn't there, then they claimed it was not covered under warranty, then they came back in the end and said it was covered after all and did the work. I almost thought they didn't do anything but after driving it down the road it was clear they did. Here are the part numbers listed in the TSB.

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
407 Posts
I guess its possible at the very end of the run of '21's they were using the exact same TCM part as '22's? It would take someone with an early '22 finding out what they had for a TCM part #...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was told they needed the truck in the shop to verify if the TSB applied. Perhaps the TCM is marked but I expect it is easier to use the electronics. Not much to do with the VIN.

Some have said they were told it would be covered up to 15,000 miles but I think the dealer here said it would have been covered under regular warranty. I could be wrong though. They didn't know about the TSB though. They couldn't figure it out until I gave them the number.

·
Registered
407 Posts
15k no sense. It would be at least 3yr/36k, or more likely 5yr/60k under the power train warranty. Sometimes they honor a TSB beyond the warranty if it wasn't done by a previous owner.

·
Registered
2020 SV Crew Cab Gun Metal Midnight Edition
113 Posts
It still shifts through the first three gears quickly but any hesitation is gone, it's smoother, and no downshifting too early when coming to a stop. It's a good update.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I love the 1-2-3 shifts. Much smoother. I still notice some pretty good jerks when I slow to say 10mph and then hit the gas- the downshifts are pretty rough. In just coming to stop, I don't have any issues with the downshifts.

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
181 Posts
It is jerky when you are creeping in traffic like coming up to a 4 way stop with a lot of traffic or merging into a road where you only need to yield. My truck still has pretty loud clunking when I'm coming to a stop. I'll have to take it back in next week. Compared to the 8 speed ZF that is in my Challenger, it feels kinda junky.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How do I know it's a good update? I drove it to work this morning and completely forgot about it until I arrived. Then I realized it was working the way it should.

·
Registered
2021 frontier v6 crew cab 3.8 l
23 Posts
i have made another appointment for them to check out my crazy transmission.hope everything goes well this time.what i would like to know is if there is anyone who does not have any problems and love their truck.do not think i will b keeping this truck very long. suck to pay so much money for something and then hate it

·
Registered
113 Posts
I didn't think my transmission was too bad to begin with, though I realized it could use some improvement. The update took care of it.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
what i would like to know is if there is anyone who does not have any problems and love their truck.
Sorry to hear your still having issues.

I had the TSB work done even though I didn't have any issues. Shifts even better now. And I do love my 2020 SV and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2021 frontier v6 crew cab 3.8 l
23 Posts
lucky u.if after this visit to the dealer and i have the slightest occourance this truck is gone. i should not have to b thinking about what a transmission will or will not do while i am driving..especially one with 1500 miles

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Yeah. Not sure what is going on with your truck. Maybe there is another TSB in the future, but if the truck isn't working for you and Nissan can't address the issues you are experiencing then maybe jumping into something is your only option. I do wish you luck and hope the dealership will fix it. Maybe go to a different dealership this time.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Pretty much the same story for all the manufacturers of these new 9 and 10 speed auto transmissions, GM, Ford, Nissan and the others. I don't think I'd purchase anything with more than 6 speeds until all these companies can get all these gremlins worked out. They all are having hundreds of millions of dollars in warranty claims, constant Tsb's and SB's on brand new vehicles.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you want perfection you may be out of luck. I have had several new cars over the past 10yrs and all had their own quirks. The newer trucks all seem to have 8, 9 or 10sp transmissions and all have been discussed here with varying issues. My 20 is still far from perfect and makes strange shifts at times. Still acceptable to me.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts