Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
181 Posts
Interestingly I noticed a noise today when driving to work. It feels like something is rolling around under the drivers seat and hitting the side rail. I looked underneath the seat to make sure nothing was stuck (nothing under there at all). Is this what others are experiencing?
Maybe... put your windows up and turn the AC and radio off and do some stops in your neighborhood or a big parking lot. Mine is easy to hear. Sometimes a small metallic clink and sometimes a much more pronounced clunk from right under the cab.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a similar noise coming from my truck
I was able to record it (as it is intermittent) .Sent it to the service manager and he is forwarding it to Nissan engineers so we can figure it out… As soon as we have an answer it’s going in . I will let you guys know .
It’s definitely a transmission issue
Interestingly I noticed a noise today when driving to work. It feels like something is rolling around under the drivers seat and hitting the side rail. I looked underneath the seat to make sure nothing was stuck (nothing under there at all). Is this what others are experiencing?
im hearing a resinating groan it’s very intermittent so I had to record it for the dealership other wise there thinking I’m crazy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got mine done last week and it is a night and day difference. You can actually drive it normally now without feathering the gas on 1-2-3 shifts.
Now my truck clunks when it downshifts coming to a stop. Pretty noticeable with the windows up, radio off, etc. You can feel it too if you pay attention.
I have a 21 and the upshifting is fine but I get the harsh downshifting. Maybe the update they uploaded to yours is the same module they put in the stock 21’s, so maybe they didn’t use the latest module on yours.

Edit: sorry, I miss understood what you were describing. My Issue is unrelated to yours.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will see about getting the TCM reprogrammed on my 2020 Frontier. Sounds like it may not improve the harsh down shifting when coming to a stop but should help when accelerating from a stop.

At least with mine... try putting the transmission in neutral at maybe 5mph as you coast to a stop. Every time you'll hear and feel the transmission getting angry as it drops down the last couple gears.

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
181 Posts
I will see about getting the TCM reprogrammed on my 2020 Frontier. Sounds like it may not improve the harsh down shifting when coming to a stop but should help when accelerating from a stop.

At least with mine... try putting the transmission in neutral at maybe 5mph as you coast to a stop. Every time you'll hear and feel the transmission getting angry as it drops down the last couple gears.
I'm taking mine in on wed for them to look at. They said they shop foreman will ride with me so I can demonstrate the problem. Not hard to do, it does it every time I come to a stop.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm taking mine in on wed for them to look at. They said they shop foreman will ride with me so I can demonstrate the problem. Not hard to do, it does it every time I come to a stop.
Sucks that the their customers will have to reproduce the problem for Nissan to give the update. It's a good thing you are able to reproduce the problem every time.

What about for owners who experiences the problem randomly? It would be a waste of time to go in for service only for Nissan to say "Sorry we can't give you the update we didn't experience the problem while test driving it"

If it's a known problem Nissan should just give the update.

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
407 Posts
Sucks that the their customers will have to reproduce the problem for Nissan to give the update. It's a good thing you are able to reproduce the problem every time.

What about for owners who experiences the problem randomly? It would be a waste of time to go in for service only for Nissan to say "Sorry we can't give you the update we didn't experience the problem while test driving it"

If it's a known problem Nissan should just give the update.
That shouldn't be what happens. Just go in and tell them you want the TSB for the TCM done. They will take care of it. I have not heard of anyone being denied.

·
Registered
2020 SV 4x4
335 Posts
I had no issues. I made an appointment via my dealers website. Wrote in the description that the TSB (with number) would resolve the complaints I have with the transmission. I made it for late in the afternoon thinking it would be a 45 minute thing. I then read it is was minimum 1.5 hours, oops. Service writer called and asked if I could bring it in early, which I was able to. They did no diagnostic and just ran the update. It was 1.5 hours.

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
181 Posts
I got the update last week for the harsh 1-2-3 upshift, no questions... the problem I have now is with the harsh downshifts and clunking when it shifts into lower gears. I'm not convinced the 2 problems are necessarily related since it clunked downshifting before the update.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got the update last week for the harsh 1-2-3 upshift, no questions... the problem I have now is with the harsh downshifts and clunking when it shifts into lower gears. I'm not convinced the 2 problems are necessarily related since it clunked downshifting before the update.
Are you planning on taking it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
181 Posts
Well, I lucked out and the field service engineer was at the dealer when I took it in. He was super attentive and rode with me while I demonstrated the downshift clunk. He was not concerned at all and said that they don't have a lot of field data on this trans yet but that it is typical to get some downshift shock on a truck and that a lot of people simply don't notice it (radio on, windows down, etc). He did say he was going to write it up and send it to engineering so it is documented. He also said that future software updates may alleviate it as they are released. Also, said that the entire drivetrain- engine to diff was the same as the 22's so anything they release for the 22's will likely apply to the 20-21. Then he had them put it on a lift and check all the heat shields and anything else that might make a similar noise. Gave me his card and said to email him if it gets worse. All in all, really impressed by this dealer and the FSE.

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
181 Posts
Update... seems to be getting worse and "clunkier" on the downshifts. I guess I just need to wait until it is really bad to take it back in but it is pretty annoying at this point. Anyone else noticing this on their Gen 2.5?

·
Premium Member
2020 SV Midnight Edition 4x4
326 Posts
Update... seems to be getting worse and "clunkier" on the downshifts. I guess I just need to wait until it is really bad to take it back in but it is pretty annoying at this point. Anyone else noticing this on their Gen 2.5?
Sometimes when coming to a complete stop at a light for example I will feel something "clunky" on the last down shift. But driving daily it only happens once every week or so, its very infrequent for me. I had the TSB work done on my truck even though it was operating fine, but I do admit that having the TCM reprogrammed did improve how the truck shifts in a positive way. I encourage folks who have the 20/21 go get it done while its still covered under warranty.

I would recommend going back to the dealer. The TSB mentions some additional steps that "may" need to be taken after the "reprogramming". I don't know what the deciding factor is that would tell/hint the mechanic to follow though with these additional steps, but they are mentioned in the TSB for one reason or another.

When reprogramming is complete, you may be required to perform:
  • Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
  • Idle Air Volume Learning
  • Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning
  • Calibration of Park Position Sensor
  • Calibration of Decel G Sensor
  • DTC Erase

I'm not a transmission engineer, but I tried to find connections between these and other sensors and hard/clunky shifts. Kinda failed, but what I did discover after reading about this transmission "GE9R01A" and "9G-Tronic" that it's based on is that it's very, very complicated. There are allot of inputs from sensors along with driving history (learned) that makes this thing do what it does. Allot of us have the same truck yet we have very different driving experiences, and I can't help but wonder if the way the transmission was engineered has something to do with it (learned behavior and multitude of other variables). I also found that the issues that have been brought up on this forum here have already been discussed on others, years ago, when the 9G-tronic started making its way into other vehicles.

If this is a programming "thing" then I think we'll probably see another TSB down the road once more and more GE9R01A transmissions get out in the field. Seems like this thing is making its way into allot of Nissan vehicles so I'm sure there will be more and more data/experiences that Nissan will be able to work with. I would bring it to the dealer again, but be patient and good luck.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Hope Nissan has better luck than GM (8spd) Ford (10spd) does, but this is getting to be a common thread among all manufacturer's in their quest to eeek out another 1mpg. If the engineers can't figure out the issue then you get screwed by the dealers because they have no tech's with the complex training it takes to diagnose these issue's. I'm keepin my old 5spd for sure!!

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
181 Posts
Sometimes when coming to a complete stop at a light for example I will feel something "clunky" on the last down shift. But driving daily it only happens once every week or so, its very infrequent for me. I had the TSB work done on my truck even though it was operating fine, but I do admit that having the TCM reprogrammed did improve how the truck shifts in a positive way. I encourage folks who have the 20/21 go get it done while its still covered under warranty.

I would recommend going back to the dealer. The TSB mentions some additional steps that "may" need to be taken after the "reprogramming". I don't know what the deciding factor is that would tell/hint the mechanic to follow though with these additional steps, but they are mentioned in the TSB for one reason or another.

When reprogramming is complete, you may be required to perform:
  • Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
  • Idle Air Volume Learning
  • Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning
  • Calibration of Park Position Sensor
  • Calibration of Decel G Sensor
  • DTC Erase

I'm not a transmission engineer, but I tried to find connections between these and other sensors and hard/clunky shifts. Kinda failed, but what I did discover after reading about this transmission "GE9R01A" and "9G-Tronic" that it's based on is that it's very, very complicated. There are allot of inputs from sensors along with driving history (learned) that makes this thing do what it does. Allot of us have the same truck yet we have very different driving experiences, and I can't help but wonder if the way the transmission was engineered has something to do with it (learned behavior and multitude of other variables). I also found that the issues that have been brought up on this forum here have already been discussed on others, years ago, when the 9G-tronic started making its way into other vehicles.

If this is a programming "thing" then I think we'll probably see another TSB down the road once more and more GE9R01A transmissions get out in the field. Seems like this thing is making its way into allot of Nissan vehicles so I'm sure there will be more and more data/experiences that Nissan will be able to work with. I would bring it to the dealer again, but be patient and good luck.
Pretty sure they didn't do any of the relearning cals. They were done with the reprogramming in less than 30 min and no one actually drove it afterwards. This truck will coast forever when you let off the gas so I'm guessing it may have something to do with the torque converter unlocking and not giving any resistance on down shifts. Just a guess.

·
Premium Member
2020 SV Midnight Edition 4x4
326 Posts
This truck will coast forever when you let off the gas
That's interesting. My truck coasts pretty good, but drops a gear a few seconds after I my foot off the gas then another gear after the truck slows down some more. Your issue sounds mechanical, but with all the adaptive/learning capabilities of the truck I suppose it could be that. I know the TCM has something called lock-up clutch point learning and there is a procedure for clearing this but it of-course requires a CONSULT III. I came across someone with an F-150 who started experiencing hard shifting and clunking after towing. Clearing the adaptive shifting tables ended up resolving his issue. Maybe clearing the equivalent in the Frontier will do the same. I say push the dealer. Allot of these additional steps don't take long.

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
181 Posts
That's interesting. My truck coasts pretty good, but drops a gear a few seconds after I my foot off the gas then another gear after the truck slows down some more. Your issue sounds mechanical, but with all the adaptive/learning capabilities of the truck I suppose it could be that. I know the TCM has something called lock-up clutch point learning and there is a procedure for clearing this but it of-course requires a CONSULT III. I came across someone with an F-150 who started experiencing hard shifting and clunking after towing. Clearing the adaptive shifting tables ended up resolving his issue. Maybe clearing the equivalent in the Frontier will do the same. I say push the dealer. Allot of these additional steps don't take long.
I will, but it basically takes half a day to take it in, let them do their thing and get back to work. I always buy new so I don't have to worry about stuff like this but the manufacturers sort of expect you to do their testing for them nowadays. My F150 was a PITA too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I had the TSB performed last week to reprogram my TCM. Can't say I was very scientific about the whole thing but all indications are that the TSB did not mess with too many things other than improve shifting in the lower gears.

The only real issue I had is when slowing down to a near stop then getting back on the throttle. I'd slow down to maybe 2-3 mph for an instant; then adding throttle resulted in RPMs going up with a nearly instantaneous hard down shift to what I assume is first gear. I adjusted to really ease into the throttle after a near stop to pretty much eliminate the hard shift but it was annoying. I would never have thought there'd be an update so great thanks to this forum.

While a 6sp manual would suit me better, I say this 9sp auto drives very well. Six or seven gears would be better but the 9sp does seem to get the nod over the old 5sp auto.

Well, be sure to get that TCM flashed!

·
Registered
2020 SV Crew Cab Gun Metal Midnight Edition
113 Posts
I got the TCM update today. Definitely smoother shifting and no down shifting too early.

When making the appt some lady on the phone told me only certain VINs apply and how the service manager would have to take it for a test drive. When I got there I just explained what it was doing and they took it in and did the update with no further questions.

21 - 40 of 114 Posts