Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Ive posted awhile back about how sometimes the 9 speed trannys in our 2020/2021 frontiers (myself included) shift hard, or harsh and sometimes get shift flare. Ive been watching the Nissan TSB website like a hawk because the titan guys who have a very similar tranny got a TSB for a software update.

Mine will shift hard or when coming to a stop the transmission downshifts hard especially a sudden stop. I know this isnt a software update but take a look at what I found. Unfortunately I cant go to the dealer for another 3 weeks just had shoulder surgery so if any of you that have this problem as well and want to go to the dealer, please update this thread if you get it done and let us know if it changed anything. At least Nissan is recognizing the problem now.

Here is what the TSB says

Purchase Online Subscription to View this ItemSubject: SB Hesitation And/Or Shift Shock
Summary of NTB21073:
IF YOU CONFIRM
The customer reports hesitation and/or shift shock during acceleration,
OR
Shift shock during deceleration,
AND
There are no TCM related DTCs stored.
ACTION
1. Confirm the current TCM part number.
2. Reprogram the TCM, if applicable.
See this bulletin for further detail.
Alternate Keyword Search: NTB21-073, NTB21073, transmission, harsh shifting

·
Registered
114 Posts
Where I live, I have to come out running with a hard right turn on a highway from a dead stop. My 2020 seems to hesitate for a half-second or so, I may look into this update. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Not sure if this plays any role here, but asking an aside question. Do the Gen 2.5/'20-'21 3.8/9-sp models have a traction control delete button like the '05-'19 4.0 models?

·
Registered
2020 Frontier CC Midnight Edition 4x4
172 Posts
Not sure if this plays any role here, but asking an aside question. Do the Gen 2.5/'20-'21 3.8/9-sp models have a traction control delete button like the '05-'19 4.0 models?
If you are referring to the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system then yes... There is a switch to turn that off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the late response Jetblack got it on the dot! I am going today and have an appointment to see if it changes anything (talked the wife into taking me today). I will update this thread with results of what happened.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back, I specifically asked the Dealer to tell me more about this TSB since we have to pay for a subscription to see what the details are on the TSB website. He said its a software update that re programs the transmission control module. And thats all it said is that it address's the hesitation and lunging. I can say it shifts way smoother now and 90% of the hesitation is gone. It feels like a completely different transmission. Also coming to a dead stop quickly it doesnt feel like its slamming the gears back down to first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts