Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
The Taco basically has 2 advantages over the Frontier, an updated interior (that lacks much seat adjustment) and better MPG.

Other things I feel the Frontier is superior.

I drove the Tacoma and mainly didn't like the constantly shifting auto.

Other than that it was quite nice.

Not nice enough to justify the price differential though.
lol it really doesn't get better mpg. maybe 1-2 at best but even then its subject. looking at sites like fuelly many get just teens in mpg. honestly every truck I've seen and driven all get crappy gas mileage. I think the only one thats decent is the ridgeline.

all the new trucks, Colorado zr2, f150's gmc all get crappy mpg.

I'm waiting for one to come out one day that gets close to 30mpg, that would be awesome lol
Totally agree.

F150 3.0L Powerstroke, Ram Ecodiesel and Colorado/Canyon Duramax can do 30mpg. Thing is, these aren't cheap vehicles and 30mpg is only going to happen under the right conditions.

I'd love to have the extra range but really, I just want a basic engine with decent driveability. I drive 20,000km anually and fuel is one of my smallest expenses. I'm not about to pay a premium for a truck that's a bit better on fuel.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Don't flame me but I traded my Frontier in for a new Tacoma.

I figured it was time to trade in my Frontier while I could still get value out of it and none of the dealers in my area had a crew cab SV with value truck package, which is all I wanted. They either had S models, which was missing some features I wanted. Or midnight editions, which I kind of liked but not for the price and wasn't sure about going in trying to haggle down for a price I was willing to pay. I was originally planning to see what kind of prices I could get for a midnight edition after checking out other vehicles. There were a couple of SV VTP that I think were Black Friday deals or something but they weren't in the color I wanted. But the smaller price difference between the midnight edition Frontier and SR5 Tacoma was another reason to take the Tacoma into consideration

I always wanted a Tacoma and the Frontier wasn't a definite automatic first choice due to the back seat not being comfortable and the turning radius.

I was considering giving up pickup trucks all together but when I went to the local Toyota dealership, saw that they had the same exact truck that I was eyeing on another dealer's website several months earlier. When that truck wasn't listed on that dealer's website anymore, I thought someone else bought it and wasn't meant to be. But I guess it went to my local dealership via dealer trade. I probably should have considered the RAV4 more or at least a five foot bed Tacoma but made up my mind when I saw that truck.

Anyways power delivery that everyone comments on isn't so bad. That first couple of days was bad, where on the second day full day of driving/owning it I was wondering if I made a mistake and had to trade the truck in. I did try to use my due diligence during the test drive. But after a couple of weeks now, I don't have any issues with it and the truck does what I want it to. Not sure if I just got used to it but they say the truck also adjusts to you the first thousand miles or so too. And I haven't used the ECT button that people say is a must to get the right power delivery for the Tacoma. It does rev higher and is noisier then the Frontier. There are some unexpected shifts here and there. In particular when going up hills sometimes. I think I'm getting about 4 mpg better than the Frontier. In the beginning I didn't think that was worth what you give up in the torque from the Frontier. I don't really think about it anymore, either the torque/power different or mpg difference.

Seating position isn't bad. One of the main reasons why the Tacoma was the first vehicle I checked out was because I figured if I wasn't comfortable in it and/or I couldn't fit child seats behind me it would be crossed off my list. I think I checked out a Tacoma two times within the past several years. The first time I couldn't believe how uncomfortable the seat was, partially because the steering wheel was digging into my thighs. The second time the salesperson showed me the tilt steering and I was more comfortable. So when I sat in it this time around, didn't feel it was that different from the Frontier. There is something about the lumbar support or lack of that gets me every once in a while. It's like the seat middle is too deep in, so your upper back is against the seats but the lower back is sunken into the seat or something like that. Hasn't bothered me lately but was something that happened once in a while before. There are a couple of threads on TacomaWorld about uncomfortable seats.

For me the second gen Frontier was really well thought out and worked well as our family hauler. I took both of my kids home as newborns in it and was my primary choice to drive for family trips and outings. The wife did have to sit in the back for several years because the front passenger seat was almost always folded down. The features I liked and miss are:

-the rear seat room, while maybe uncomfortable, is larger then the Tacoma. On paper it says it has one more inch legroom than the Tacoma and it's evident. I don't know why some reviews and sites says it's smaller and more cramped then the Tacoma. In the Tacoma, with the drivers seat in a comfortable position for me and my oldest kid behind me, who is probably a little bit over four feet tall, in a Britax Frontier has their feet pushing against the drivers seat when his feet are facing forward. I asked him if he was okay and he said he was but am not sure if he was just excited about the new vehicle. In the Frontier there was a small but decent amount of space between the drivers seat and his legs. I don't think this will be as much of an issue as the kids move on to different seats that are not as high as their current ones.

-the way Nissan setup it's underseat storage is nice. Where I can just reach under the seat to access whatever I need. Usually tiedowns, bungee cords, snow scraper etc. That was one of my issues when looking at one of the GM twins on the website where you have to flip the lower seat up to access the storage. And the Tacoma has a similar setup. I should be able to access the underseat storage more easily once the kids move into smaller seats. Currently I have the tiedowns in the cubby of the Tacoma's bed, which I have to accommodate for sometimes when loading up cargo. But I recently found some threads saying this cubby hole isn't weathertight. So I need to check my things in there.

-the flat load floor for the rear seats foot area in the Frontier lets you put more stuff on the floor easily, compared to how the Tacoma has a hump in the middle of the floor and things have to be squeezed in, if they fit in there.

-people have mentioned how the folding passenger isn't useful but for me it was one of the things hard to give up. It allows for a better fit of rear facing car seats in the rear passenger or middle seat, with the wife sitting behind me. It makes for a makeshift changing table when needed. And I think it's kind of cool to give the kids a similar view of in front of the car. With the seat back up I find myself sometimes forgetting that the kids don't have the same view as I do when trying to point things out.

-thanks to this site, the oil change on the Frontier is pretty easy. It looks like with the Tacoma it involves removing the skid plate and then having to deal with some cartridge assembly to change the filter. Also over on TacomaWorld there are some posts or mention of people draining their ATF by accident when they meant to drain the oil. I haven't had a chance to take a good look at it yet to see how people might get confused but I'm probably the type of person that would make that type of mistake too.

-the Frontier has always come with a tailgate lock since at least when the second gen Frontier came out. The lack of a tailgate lock was a factor against the Ridgeline and used Tacomas for me. Some people on both RidgelineOwnersClub and TacomaWorld mention installing a pop n lock. But it just seems nicer to not need an extra key to unlock/lock the tailgate. It sounds like Honda just released an OEM tailgate lock for the Ridgeline that can be bought and installed now. Not sure if it's available on new vehicles yet.

My main issue with the Tacoma is the design of the bed. Where for whatever reason they have a gap between the front and side rails on both sides of the truck. Then towards the rear of the truck are slight curves in the bed. This seems to be causing issues with how waterproof the beds can be made with covers and caps. I ended up trying to plug the front gaps and I'm not sure if there is an issue there like I expected. So far nothing major. But towards the rear curve there is a leak with the tonneau cover I have as others reported being a problem area. (which I didn't realize until after buying the truck) And I think some misting getting through around the tailgate. I may try to see if there are ways to waterproof the cover more or maybe just get another cover. Kind of like what members on here say about baby seats, it's better to swap out a $300 seat rather than an entire truck. There are a couple of threads over on TacomaWorld about leaky beds. It kind of seems to me that some people are drinking the kool aid when they post how it's a truck and should be expected to get wet and people who want a secure cargo area should've gotten a SUV. Mainly because I know this shouldn't be the expectation based on my experience with the Frontier. If someone doesn't need/want a cap/cover this probably isn't a factor.

The rails for the cleat system are really high up in the Tacoma too. And most of the installation instructions for tonneau covers for the Tacoma that I saw require mounting onto the track system, which takes away full use of the system. The Frontier's rail system is lower and I didn't have this issue with my previous cover on the Frontier. I compared instructions for another cover for both trucks and confirmed it looks like clamps can be used for the Frontier without getting in the way of the rail system, while the Tacoma requires mounting into the cleat rail(not sure if this is the case for all covers). I think (may be wrong about this) that when I saw the installation video for a second gen Titan, the track rails are higher up like in the Tacoma and require mounting into the cleat rails. Hopefully Nissan doesn't raise the cleat rails too high for the next gen Frontier.

Then with the Frontier I was always able to step up into the bed by stepping on the bumper. It was kind of a surprise to find out I couldn't do this with the Tacoma (after I bought it) due to the way the bumpers are curved up at the end. Afterwards I noticed a lot of Toyotas have bumpers this shape, although the Tundra doesn't. It looks like some F150s have the same shaped bumper too. But it's weird being about six feet tall and having to crawl up on to the tailgate and I'm not sure about putting all my weight on the tailgate like that. My workaround for now is to close the tailgate, then step on the bumper and then over the tailgate to get into the bed.

I don't have a bed extender in the Tacoma. But when I looked at one one or two years ago, it was kind of weird and not useful to me in how it's installed at a fixed point in the Tacoma. This means when you're not using it, you don't get full use of your bed with it folded backwards. There have been many times with the Frontier where I initially planned to use the bed extender than changed my mind and slid it back or vice versa. With the Tacoma's design you need to plan in advance and decide if you should leave it at home or not.

The Tacoma crew cab long bed may be a bit too long for me where it doesn't fit in parking spaces at some places I go to. In my mind, I was thinking the difference was only a foot and shouldn't be that big of an issue. But I forgot that the Tacoma in general is already bigger then a Frontier. So the difference between a short bed crew cab Frontier and a long bed Tacoma crew cab is actually 20 inches. That part is my own fault though and is a trade off if I wanted a crew cab long bed and is not an issue with the Tacoma itself. (although I think the Tacoma could be smaller than it currently is)

Anyways as it stands now for daily driving the Tacoma isn't a bad vehicle. Having a six foot bed is great and was already able to take advantage of it within first couple of weeks of ownership. The six foot bed crew cab Frontier wasn't in consideration for me with it's 47 foot turning radius when I already had issues with the short bed crew cab's turning radius. At first I didn't like how the tiedown rings were on the floor of the Tacoma and they didn't have any fixed tiedown points higher up. In the Frontier, I think that I hardly used the cleats on the floor. But the tiedown spots on the ground are actually pretty useful for shorter cargo.

The wife and kids like the Tacoma but maybe just because it's something new and different. The wife immediately noted how comfortable the front passenger seat was. And her comments about how the rear seat in the Frontier was uncomfortable was a main reason in looking at other vehicles.

The main issue for me are the bed leaks, bed design and it might be too long/big for me. I'm thinking that I may just wait and see if they actually become an issue ie if I ever have a case of soaked cargo. But would also be open to trading it in for a vehicle that I might like better. ie if Nissan does a great job with the redesign of the Frontier, where for me all they really need to do is improve the rear seat comfort. Or if there are really good deals/rebates on an out going generation like Frontier, Tundra, etc. This is compared to me not wanting to trade in the Frontier and was hoping to get more years out of it. But who knows, I was actually looking into trading in my Frontier within three or four years of ownership, can't remember the specific reasons why anymore, but ended up loving it and not wanting to let it go. So maybe the same thing will eventually happen with the Tacoma.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, new here.
I just went through 2 month process of searching for a new truck. For the last 2 years I've only had a motorcycle to get around on. My wife's car was available after 5 and weekends though.

I was on what many would consider a tight budget. Not out of low funds, but on life lessons learned. What I found was dollar for dollar nothing comes close to the Frontier. I include cost of ownership/repairs in that equation. In my opinion the toyotas last, and new body styles are nicer trucks. However, they are no way that much nicer to justify the price. I just bought a mint condition 2015 desert runner cc for 15k out the door with 80k on it. Trucks are high out here in TX.
A toyota pre runner cc with 140k would cost me that much or more out here. To me that cant be justified. My first new car I bought right out of HS was a 1988 Toy 4x4, paid 10.4 k for it. I've also owned a 1985 toy 4x4 and a 2003 4cy kC frontier I bought new. I put 113k on the 03 frontier and did nothing but a battery, front break pads, and 1 set of tires.
I sure hope this new(to me) Desert Runner treats me as well. These Frontiers are without doubt outdated. With that said they are to me the perfect truck for the guy who just wants a comfortable reliable truck that also looks pretty good. It makes much more sense to me to spend the extra cash on the wife's Audi for super comfort and luxury, not my truck, that I plan to use as a TRUCK.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i had a 1988 and a 2009 tacoma in the past. both where 4x4, 4cyl, 5 speed models with the bench seat. they both averaged 20mpg all around driving. the old one was my favorite. the nissan hardbody truck was awesome back then too though. the 1988 had more "pep" than the 2009 even though the engine was 2.2L compared to 2.7L of the new one. the weight was a lot less on the old one so that's why.

i sat in a new one (3rd gen) and couldn't stand the seating position. it was awful. i don't see how anyone can drive them? maybe if you have long legs you can i dunno. i'm 5'9" tall so when i adjust the seat to where i can reach the pedals then i have to move the steering wheel up really high in order to see the guages. this results in feeling like driving a school bus or a old van because of the weird steering wheel angle. if i lowered the wheel to where it was comfortable then the top of the wheel blocked the guages. it was really odd and weird. i never had that problem with the gen 1 and gen 2 versions i had with bench seats in them....and when i looked at the prices i was like...no thanks. i do like the interior of the new ones but i hate those chrome grills they put on them. a trd off road was $38k on the lot. i got my pro4x for $29k so it was a no-brainer to me.

here's some pics. 1988 toyota, 2009 tacoma, and 2017 pro4x. if you look in the background of the 1st pic you can see my brother's 1984 300zx :)

Attachments

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
Other than the poor mileage, I see no reason in trying to 'trade up' to another truck. I have 12 years and 190km on my truck and I can't see myself needing anything 'better' anytime soon. To those that say buy an SUV if you want dry storage in your truck box a) don't live in a rain forest like I do and b) don't go out camping/hunting in said rain and want dry gear when they arrive and then a nice truck bed to put in bloody animals at the end of a hunt. <---my $0.02

·
Registered
383 Posts
That 1988 was my exact truck, all but the rims.
i had the steel wheels when i bought it but i got those 15x10 wheels and 31x10.50 tires. those were all the rage back in the 90's. :laugh:

i still think they look pretty cool.

i still have a set of steel wheels, lug nuts, and center caps off of the 2009 as well as the front springs and all 4 shocks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The Price they want for a sport Tacoma you could just buy Pro4x and still save $9000

4X4 Tacoma's are 45,000 and up at that price why not go full size ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I won't preach about the Frontier. You guys already know what those are all about. (y)

I don't have many positive things to say about the '18 Tacoma that I just traded for my '19 Pro4x Frontier, but I can tell you that Toyota's manufacturing and quality control seems light years ahead of Nissan's. The Tacoma's doors fit perfectly, body panel alignment was all done before paint, my rear axle wasn't scraped up and rusty, etc.

This new Frontier is a pleasure to drive, but Nissan needs to iron out these kind of issues if they want to take on the class leader.

·
Registered
119 Posts
..... still scratching my head over the price and praise those things get???????????? 🤮
If you read through the threads over tacomaworld.com you'll noticed that people seem to either love them or hate them. That leads me to believe that not everyone experiences the hesitation and stumbling that I...as well as many others...did or still do. My guess is that there are good trucks, really bad trucks and OVtuned trucks. OVtune is a company offering an aftermarket tune for the 3.5 and it is extremely well received...as it should be for $800.

I can't believe that everyone who hasn't ponied up for that tune drank the Kool-Aid when they took delivery and has been in an altered state of mind ever since.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you read through the threads over tacomaworld.com you'll noticed that people seem to either love them or hate them. That leads me to believe that not everyone experiences the hesitation and stumbling that I...as well as many others...did or still do. My guess is that there are good trucks, really bad trucks and OVtuned trucks. OVtune is a company offering an aftermarket tune for the 3.5 and it is extremely well received...as it should be for $800.

I can't believe that everyone who hasn't ponied up for that tune drank the Kool-Aid when they took delivery and has been in an altered state of mind ever since.
I know someone with a Tacoma TRD brand new they traded the first one back because they got stuff offroad grabbed the better offroad package and complained about MPG

The same person also said it can't make it to Las Vegas 272 miles from us on one Tank pretty much said it took 2 plus fill ups that's crazy I can get there on a tank and I am heavily modified

21 - 33 of 33 Posts