Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to have an aftermarket stereo installed. The shop that was going to do the install ordered two different wiring harnesses for the radio , and neither one would plug in. He contacted all his vendors, and they now say that there is no harness for the 2019 year model yet. 2018 not compatible because Nisssan changed something. Anyone have any ideas ? What do I do now ? Truck is 2019 Midnight edition

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I can ask the shop if they have checked with Crutchfield , or if the two harnesses they ordered are the same that Crutchfield reccomends. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Long story, but dealer Salesman sold me the SV And told me it had Sirius, but it doesn’t. After complaints they bought and shipped me a piece that is supposed to integrate in with the radio. Part is from VAIS. I have an installer coming today to look at this and tell me if it will work. My only concern is it doesn’t appear to integrate with the existing antenna and needs one outside the vehicle. I am not happy about that because I don’t want to have the installer drill a hole or hang a wire outside a window (instructions say the antenna has a magnet on it!). Not sure I will use this or not yet. The part was $400+ and is brand new. Installation cost is additional and can update you on that later.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I guess I can ask the shop if they have checked with Crutchfield , or if the two harnesses they ordered are the same that Crutchfield reccomends. Thanks for the suggestion.
Check the details on the Crutchfield site. When I last looked, the adapters that they sell do not support the back up camera nor steering wheel controls.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Long story, but dealer Salesman sold me the SV And told me it had Sirius, but it doesn’t.
Not sure if this matters or not w/ your yr of Frontier, but did your SV come with the Value Truck Package (VTP)? It's a roughly $2000 option package that includes a LOT of extras.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Im actually enjoying streaming XM as much as my car with the rcvr. More channels, and the online channels you can skip songs.
$40 for 6 months for one car with streaming is a bargain.

·
Registered
511 Posts
xm is cool for the first year when it's only $5 a month then they jack it up to $20 a month so I had to let it go. radio is free. i don't mind paying a little like $5 a month maybe $10 but when they start jacking the prices up it gets on my nerves just like the cable company does. that's why i dropped cable tv. LOL

I have over 100 cd's to listen to and most younger people use their phone for music these days.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
102 Posts
I am trying to have an aftermarket stereo installed. The shop that was going to do the install ordered two different wiring harnesses for the radio , and neither one would plug in. He contacted all his vendors, and they now say that there is no harness for the 2019 year model yet. 2018 not compatible because Nisssan changed something. Anyone have any ideas ? What do I do now ? Truck is 2019 Midnight edition
Its possible. They have different head units than in previous years. When the switch was I am not sure. Any decent stereo shop should be able to look at a schematic and figure it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if this matters or not w/ your yr of Frontier, but did your SV come with the Value Truck Package (VTP)? It's a roughly $2000 option package that includes a LOT of extras.
Yes we got the value package. Would love to know if anyone has added XM option that does not use your data port. Or if you did use the data port can you unplug the XM, use the port, then plug back in XM without reprogramming

·
Registered
155 Posts
We’ve been getting the cheap XM for 10 years. We call and say cancel every 6 months and the nice Indian lady gives us the same discount.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
While not the easiest method, installing an aftermarket head unit will add wanted features while improving the overall fidelity - even w/ factory speakers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We’ve been getting the cheap XM for 10 years. We call and say cancel every 6 months and the nice Indian lady gives us the same discount.
Ha, I've been doing that for years too. I usually let it expire for a bunch of months and once in a while I'll phone em up and see what price they'd give it to me for. I like some of the channels for music variety that's different, and/or haven't heard of for years. No way I pay full price to fry my ears with that stuff.

Easiest way? Install the XM app on your phone and stream it via Bluetooth to your factory radio. 😎
All good till you hit the mountains or remote areas and run out of data coverage though!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
102 Posts
Ha, I've been doing that for years too. I usually let it expire for a bunch of months and once in a while I'll phone em up and see what price they'd give it to me for. I like some of the channels for music variety that's different, and/or haven't heard of for years. No way I pay full price to fry my ears with that stuff.

All good till you hit the mountains or remote areas and run out of data coverage though!
That is true but that happens with Sat XM too? I know on the XM app you can download music from a channel you like, I am sure if you lose signal you can switch to that.
No way is perfect, but I am saying you can still have XM radio in your non XM radio equipped car. Better than changing stereos in my book.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts