Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
IF they regeared, there is a precise(ish) break-in period for the gears. 500 miles no towing or heavy on the gas. change oil. But if your tires are only 32 or 33" they didn't NEED to regear (in my mind, 33s definately need a regear on a KingCab... 3.13 gears suck) But if they slapped on 35" regear will be needed.
Other source for noise is ujoint angles. the pinions should be flat. The output of the transfer case needs to be parallel to the input to the diff. If that is off, it will cause vibrations. A KC or CCSB can manage 6" lift without a wicked angle, but may need new ujoints every 50k. I had a chat with PRG Greg a few months back while chasing a vib issue on my X. He was saying how much easier it is to lift a Fronty over an X (because of the length of the shaft and regular ujoints both ends) but you will need a shim on the shaft to lengthen the shaft. about 3/4" A driveline shop can figure out the proper length without causing the slipjoint from coming out or siting too deep adn damaging the transfer case.

But that you are not hearing noise on coast but do under load, I'd pop the diff cover and check the gear size. The ring SHOULD have stamped on it what will look like a fraction (like 47/13) that will be the size of the ring and pinion. devide one by other to get ratio. IIRC a CCSB should be 3.36

·
Registered
179 Posts
Three rules for universal joint angles..
1. There must be at least 1/2 to 1 degree of operating angle so the needle bearings rotate
2. The angles at opposite ends of a shaft must be equal to within 1 degree (I bet yours doesn't satisfy this one and could be a source of vibrations)
3. Working angles be kept to less than three degrees. (Yours is probably way out on this one and if you look at the picture I posted, it will greatly affect u joint life)

If all these are met then your drive line should not cause a vibration.
Granted this is for over the road tractor trailers but the same principles apply.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts