Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in a different post, but it was a very specific post.
I mentioned that I would send out an update on my progress.

Installed into a 2019 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr:
JL Audio c1-690 (separates) front/dash installed. Used system wiring – connected the inline crossover at tweeter location. Working properly.
JL Audio c1-650x (read Door) installed – working properly.
Kenwood DDX8706s installed.
JL Audio JD500/1d Mono Subwoofer Amplifier – own, and will wire for after all the bugs have been removed form the system.
JL Audio 12TW3-D4. Have an enclosed box that will be torn apart to make a custom box – but will use as is for testing once the amp is wired.

Harnesses:
Kicker 4-gauge wiring amp kit installed jumpers and remote wires for future implementation
Spiral Audio IX-NI001 (Main Harness) seems to work.
Axxess AX-NIS40SWC (rear camera) Doesn’t work – needs trouble shooting. Have male 8 pin not attached to anything. Also – the 2 red wires that come on this harness seem to be now – one 12volt connected and 1 red wire that isn’t connected (should be 6volt but reads 12 volts) that goes to the chip for the step down in voltage. I think that’s the issue – calling Metra today.
Axxess AX-NISUSB-2 (USB adaptor) – doesn’t work. Requires an older USB interface. Removed round dash plug and have the 2 USBs hanging out of it for the time being. Need to figure a solution for this.
Metra 40-NI12 (antenna) - Works.
SiriusXM 300 aftermarket receiver and antenna – installed. Shows up on head unit – need to set up additional radio to current account.
Included GPS sensor – installed. Haven’t driven to see if it works.
included Mic- in stock mic location. Seemed to work fine with the call I made.

Additional:

Ordered - Dynamat doors. Will install at leisure.

Overview:
Bluetooth finally connected – not sure what happened there. I got Android auto to load wireless, and I made a phone call. Not sure how to enact screen mirroring at this time – but that’s a research thing.

After speaking with Metra the first time, and based on the troubles I currently have – I can only gustimate one thing. The spiral comes with steering controls, and the metra is a steering control module. They are both hooked up. The metra had me connect additional wires. I was told by metra to pick one or the other. I only wanted the Metra for the backup cam. The spiral came with a “digital harness” (I think that’s what they are called) for the SWC. The Metra required soldering into the kenwood harness, but the male 8pin that it terminates too has no where to plug into.

SWC is a little wonky. Volume works fine. “voice command” button is now mode on the kenwood – as is the other button.

All factory controls (hazards, ac, etc) seem to work fine. Finding a grounding point has been a real pain. I found a bolt that protrudes behind the accelerator and Im using that.

If anyone has experience in any of this, I am all ears. I really want my backup camera to work. Im ok with the SWC buttons being wonky for now, as I will be saying “Hey Google” so as long as the volume works – im ok with that I suppose.

also - I clipped the parking break wire from the kenwood harness and attached it to the kenwood HU as I had seen in some videos. I believe this will allow video in motion - but I am not sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put this in a different post, but it was a very specific post.
I mentioned that I would send out an update on my progress.

JL Audio c1-690 (separates) front/dash installed. Used system wiring – connected the inline crossover at tweeter location. Working properly.
JL Audio c1-650x (read Door) installed – working properly.
Kenwood DDX8706s installed.
JL Audio JD500/1d Mono Subwoofer Amplifier – own, and will wire for after all the bugs have been removed form the system.
JL Audio 12TW3-D4. Have an enclosed box that will be torn apart to make a custom box – but will use as is for testing once the amp is wired.

Harnesses:
Kicker 4-gauge wiring amp kit installed jumpers and remote wires for future implementation
Spiral Audio IX-NI001 (Main Harness) seems to work.
Axxess AX-NIS40SWC (rear camera) Doesn’t work – needs trouble shooting. Have male 8 pin not attached to anything. Also – the 2 red wires that come on this harness seem to be now – one 12volt connected and 1 red wire that isn’t connected (should be 6volt but reads 12 volts) that goes to the chip for the step down in voltage. I think that’s the issue – calling Metra today.
Axxess AX-NISUSB-2 (USB adaptor) – doesn’t work. Requires an older USB interface. Removed round dash plug and have the 2 USBs hanging out of it for the time being. Need to figure a solution for this.
Metra 40-NI12 (antenna) - Works.
SiriusXM 300 aftermarket receiver and antenna – installed. Shows up on head unit – need to set up additional radio to current account.
Included GPS sensor – installed. Haven’t driven to see if it works.
included Mic- in stock mic location. Seemed to work fine with the call I made.

Additional:

Ordered - Dynamat doors. Will install at leisure.

Overview:
Bluetooth finally connected – not sure what happened there. I got Android auto to load wireless, and I made a phone call. Not sure how to enact screen mirroring at this time – but that’s a research thing.

After speaking with Metra the first time, and based on the troubles I currently have – I can only gustimate one thing. The spiral comes with steering controls, and the metra is a steering control module. They are both hooked up. The metra had me connect additional wires. I was told by metra to pick one or the other. I only wanted the Metra for the backup cam. The spiral came with a “digital harness” (I think that’s what they are called) for the SWC. The Metra required soldering into the kenwood harness, but the male 8pin that it terminates too has no where to plug into.

SWC is a little wonky. Volume works fine. “voice command” button is now mode on the kenwood – as is the other button.

All factory controls (hazards, ac, etc) seem to work fine. Finding a grounding point has been a real pain. I found a bolt that protrudes behind the accelerator and Im using that.

If anyone has experience in any of this, I am all ears. I really want my backup camera to work. Im ok with the SWC buttons being wonky for now, as I will be saying “Hey Google” so as long as the volume works – im ok with that I suppose.

also - I clipped the parking break wire from the kenwood harness and attached it to the kenwood HU as I had seen in some videos. I believe this will allow video in motion - but I am not sure.
Any update since this post ? I'm still gathering asst harnesses and info to do the switch from factory HU to aftermarket.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2019 SV CC 4x4
5 Posts
Just bought some Focal separates for the front stage when I install a new Kenwood deck. Couple questions if I may-

Where did you mount the crossover? In the door or in the dash? I assume you had to run at least some aftermarket wiring.

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV 4x4 Midnight Edition
12 Posts
Crutchfield is telling me that the JL Audio C1-650x will not fit in the rear doors. They say it is too tall and that the door panel will hit the speaker in the front.

Did you see that at all?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts