Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2019 Frontier SV to be or not to be

3K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  TWX 
#1 ·
Hello all new here and first post
Here’s the deal I’m looking at the 2019 Frontier SV Crew Cab
Why because I want a 4 door 4x4 with a V6
As I already have a older 2x4 f150 I am keeping but to old for out of state travel
So in the 32,0000 yo 35,000 price range I only see two
19 Chevy Colorado and a 19 Nissian Frontier
I am very heavy leaning to the Nissian and have never owned one
That being said
Pros and cons of the 19 Frontier are
I heard the back seats are terrible and the technology is behind
Tech does not bother me as it will be a work travel truck for 4 adult males
So comments and go

#2 ·
If you hang/work with a couple of short dudes it might work lol depending on the scenario I would probably suggest something with a bigger back seat for consistent adult use.

#3 ·
Just do it. The fuel economy isn't that great, the turning radius rivals the CVN76 Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier, the radio's nothing to write home about, and the leaf springs have a habit of flattening out. That's pretty much it. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything you offered me brand new. I have the crew cab and yeah, it'll be a touch tight in the rear for some taller folk, but the Tacoma's rear seat's space's even smaller.

#5 ·
I had a 2017 4x4 Tacoma with the V6 and now a 2019 Nissan SV 4x4 V6. Nissan has a lot more power and towing is much better. Even the fit and finish is better. The only thing I don't care for is the fabric on the seats. Also glad it has a normal key. Gas mileage is a bit less than the Tacoma but to me, no big deal,

#6 ·
Tested and proven platform that stands the test of time. Mine is an '06 so it doesn't even have Bluetooth in it but I fixed that by buying a Bluetooth headset. If you want a reliable midsize truck I don't really think there is another option. Mine just rolled over 344k miles this morning. Doubt you will find a Chevy, Toyota, Ford, etc that can do that with as little work/maintenance as the Frontier requires.

#7 ·
The back of the rear seat is pretty much straight upright. My kids are grown and we’ve driven to Florida and back from New Jersey multiple times and we all riatate seats to be fair and they drove their share as well.
I owned five of these trucks over 13 years and have nothing but good memories of them, they are/were very reliable.

Clint

#8 ·
The back of the rear seat is pretty much straight upright. My kids are grown and we’ve driven to Florida and back from New Jersey multiple times and we all riatate seats to be fair and they drove their share as well.
I owned five of these trucks over 13 years and have nothing but good memories of them, they are/were very reliable.

Clint
Agreed, the rear seatback has about a 5 degree rake LOL. My grown son and daughter are both taller than me ( 5'7-5'8 for me ) and rode in the back from Maryland to Maine, it wasn't a Rolls-Royce experience but it was certainly doable.

#9 ·
If you put a lumbar pillow behind you you’d create more of an angle.
On my Wrangler they make wedges to tilt the rear seat a few degrees. I’ll never post anything unkind about the Frontier as they’ve taken me hundreds of thousands miles without a hiccup. As the driver I was always comfortable and I left out something, all my drives to Florida and Georgia from NJ are straight through, no stopping in hotels.
my kids would have said something if it was that bad.

Clint

#10 ·
The Tacoma back seat has a deeper seat cushion, but the leg room is about the same. I think it's less comfortable overall because the driver/front passenger sit with their feet out in front them, like a car. Whereas in the Frontier, you sit with your feet more under you, like a chair.

I drove from LA to Seattle and back, but I didn't have any back seat passengers. I felt like I could've made it from LA to New York and back without a problem. Cruising range might be an issue, but it's about the same for any midsize unless you get a diesel Colorado. I filled up every 200ish miles or 3ish hours. The theoretical cruising range is about 350 miles.

My brother-in-law is 6'1' 210lbs and was fine after a 3-hour local trip in the back seat of the Frontier. He said we could go to Vancouver BC and he wouldn't have a problem (we're near Los Angeles). His only nit-picks were that it was easy to accidentally press the power window switch when using the armrest, and there wasn't a power outlet in the back. Problem #1 was solved by Velcro-ing a piece of hard plastic over the switch. Problem #2 was solved by running a 12V extension cord from one of the front seat outlets to the back.

Overall, I suppose it depends on how tolerant your passengers are. If they travel light and are okay with having about the same space as a Southwest airline seat, it will be perfectly fine. If they like space to keep bags/backpacks at hand and stretch out, I'd consider a full-size pickup. If you are giving them rides for free, get what you want and they can either take the offer or find their own transportation!

#11 ·
6'4 210 drove 1300 miles (20 hours each way) to Tucson, AZ a few years ago.
Stopped 1/2 way for a hotel.

I was feeling cramped. Seriously debated stopping at a Chevy or Ford dealer and trading the Fronty in on a full size Silverado or F150 on the trip back home.

When it came time for a new vehicle, I couldn't do another Frontier. Nissan's warranties are garbage. I got hit by all the expensive out of warranty factory defects.

I kept my Frontier but added a Toyota 4Runner that I find more spacious.

I will never buy another Nissan.

#13 ·
It's a good truck and they are cheap. I've had my 2019 V6 SV four door for a bit over a year now and I really like it. I don't understand how the above poster thinks the warranty is garbage. If the problem is things failed after the warranty, that's a vehicle quality problem, not a warranty problem. It's a pretty standard warranty.

#14 ·
I have compared my 2011 SV - which is pretty much the same truck, to all the new ones when they came out - the Taco, the Colorado, and the new Ranger. The back seats are all pretty much the same. My kid road in mine for many miles - but honestly I would be unhappy in the back of any of them. Thats pretty much what you get for this size of truck.

I couldn't see swapping it for anything on the market today. The new Ranger is much nicer inside, but at a huge price difference plus a crappy turbo engine - I'll pass on that.

My Fronty is pretty much new - its only 9 years old and has only 95,000 miles. My 2008 Xterra - exact same drivetrain, is over 350K and gets driven every day. Nothing would hold me back from buying another. Maybe I should buy a spare while there still being made?

#18 ·
I have had mine a month. Overall I like my SV but am disappointed in some items I didn’t realize to even look for before I purchased. There is NO automatic lights Functionality! Small thing but seriously what car doesn’t have that? In the dash it has 1 USB port that really is only to use for data. I has a cigarette lighter right next to it so you need an adapter to charge your phone. You can use that USB in the dash for charging, but every time you plug in your phone you will get an error message and it will cut off the radio! Very annoying. what designer decided that people don’t need at least 2 USB ports in the dash. I wish the tailgate did not have to be manually locked/unlocked with the key. Careful about the radio. Salesman told me it had Sirius and it does not! Drivers side window does not go up with one touch like most do, you have to hold the button up the entire time. Again a small thing but really annoying because most of this stuff was in my 5 year old car that I traded (which was a much cheaper vehicle). Nice feature is the small storage under the back seat. Really small but big enough for jumper cables, tie downs,etc. (a few small items). We did buy the warranty, which is something I have never done before!

#19 ·
Jeez you’ve posted 6 times that you were told you had xm, but don’t. We get it, you bought a truck without doing research, just like with the auto lights. Which is a $60 fix.
You bought a sv, and probably at a cheap price. Want all that other crap? Spend 40k and get a overpriced ford or taco.

#20 ·
I was in a similar situation when I bought my used '15 in December '17. I went with the Frontier in part because it was so much more simple than the other trucks on the market, and because the bed sides and floor were several inches lower even on the 4x4 model.

The turning radius annoys me from time to time but not enough to get rid of it, my 4x4 CC LWB did fine on a 4x4 day trip. Rear seats could be better but basically not in a smaller truck. Would have to go to an SUV or full-sized to improve those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.