Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to add a tonneu bed cover to our new Frontier. Would like to hear your thoughts on roll up vs. tri-fold. Also any recommendations regarding a brand to get, or stay away from! I have the utilitruck rails for the bed extender. Also, I would like to stay away from drilling any holes!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’ve had both roll ups and one trifold.
I always buy truxedo truxport roll ups. They fit perfectly and last and are great quality. My sins have tried cheaper ones and have always come back to truxport. I’ve owned four at least and ordered one the day I ought my 2019 frontier.
I bought a used f150 that had a trifold. After two weeks I sold it on Craigslist and bought a truxport roll up.
The trifold was a pain in the butt. The worst part was when it was fully open because it stood straight up and blocked the rear window.....dumb design. Made it almost impossible to back up to my small utility trailer...couldn’t see it behind me. Some folks love them. My oldest son just bought one for $800 for his ram. I advised against it. After 3 months he totally regrets the buy. He tried to sell it and the best offer so far was $150. He just wants enough to buy a truxport. Ugh

·
Registered
Great truck
872 Posts
I have a truxport also. Just out it on a few weeks ago, maybe a month. It's nice. Rolls up easily and has little straps to hold it rolled against the end of the bed. It was super easy to install, too.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I had a truxport and a bak flip, and like the bak better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the Tyger Tri fold made of Aluminum Panels, which fold forward and end up laying flat, never blocking view of the back window. I love mine, with the tail gate locked you have security of the contents of your bed. Amazon sells these for 499 free shipping plus sales tax for your state.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I've had both roll-ups and tri-folds and liked both...they each have their pros and cons. The roll-ups give you more bed access without blocking your view but take longer to install and take just slightly more time and effort to roll up and unroll properly. The tri-folds give less bed access without blocking your view but are easy to completely remove if needed...hence they are also a faster/easier install. They are also faster/easier to fold and unfold. Both give equal security and weather protection and can be purchased for similar prices.

I've had the Truxedo Truxport roll-up too and was happy with it...price was reasonable too. I currently have the Trifecta Signature Series tri-fold with the thicker matte canvas convertible top-like material and like it too. It's a little more expensive but the matte canvas material gives it a much nicer look than the thin shiny vinyl. I also looked at the Pro-x15 low-profile roll-up...it's the best looking roll-up that I've seen but a little pricier than the Truxport.

Budget plays a big part. For $1k you can pretty much get anything you want. For $500 you can get a damn nice one. For $300 you can get a satisfactory one but any less and you start getting into cheaper materials and workmanship.

Reactions: OHTXGIRL

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 CC, Midnight edition, white
94 Posts
Gator Soft Trifold Pro for me. Installed it doesn’t interfere with my utili tracks or bed extender. Once installed it takes me only a couple of minutes to completely remove it if I need the entire bed free. Got mine on sale for $250 ish.

I bought mine at tonneaucoversworld.com. I noticed that they always seem to have a brand or two on sale which they switch up frequently, so what ever you decide on, it may come on sale there.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
My used 14 Pro4 came with a Truxedo LoPro, I love it, great cover, never leaked, very little flap even at 80+ MPH. Pricey though, so happy it was there already and didn't come out of my pocket.

Reactions: OHTXGIRL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Tyger Tri fold made of Aluminum Panels, which fold forward and end up laying flat, never blocking view of the back window. I love mine, with the tail gate locked you have security of the contents of your bed. Amazon sells these for 499 free shipping plus sales tax for your state. View attachment 318791
This looks nice. Did you have to drill any holes? I have the bed extender and rails....does that make a difference?

·
Registered
97 Posts
This looks nice. Did you have to drill any holes? I have the bed extender and rails....does that make a difference?
No, no drilling. The also included some aluminum brackets to use with the utila track system which I do not have, so not sure how they work with that but they look nice. My truck has the plastic bed liner and rail covers, this works just fine with that set up with out any holes drilled.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the Gator FX tri-fold. Easy install - clamps to the utilitrac. Not waterproof but very little water makes it into the bed. I think I paid around $650-700, not the list price. I've had a Bak-flip and couldn't tell you the difference between it and the Gator, other than the brand tag. I like the look of it better than the soft cover. It also provides a little extra security against 'honest thieves' when you lock the tailgate. I don't worry about obscuring the back window when all three sections are opened. Backup camera and mirrors are enough to back up my small utility trailer.

·
Registered
Great truck
872 Posts
Is it easy to unroll and roll with one person?

I pull the little latches just inside the tail gate to release to back of the cover and then stand on the passenger side of the truck and roll it back to the cab. It's very easy. Than at the cab, it has built in straps with hooks so I just hook the side I am on and then walk around to the driver side and hook that one and it's done being rolled up

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a Bakfkip trifold and hated it. It was one that covered the back window when fully open, that plus after a year it really started to sag, and the seams on the folding joints split. I use a Tyger roll up now and love it. I have to say the Tiger trifold looks nice, and if it does not cover the back window, that’s a huge plus.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the Gator FX tri-fold. Easy install - clamps to the utilitrac. Not waterproof but very little water makes it into the bed. I think I paid around $650-700, not the list price. I've had a Bak-flip and couldn't tell you the difference between it and the Gator, other than the brand tag. I like the look of it better than the soft cover. It also provides a little extra security against 'honest thieves' when you lock the tailgate. I don't worry about obscuring the back window when all three sections are opened. Backup camera and mirrors are enough to back up my small utility trailer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw on Amazon that the Gator FX was a quad fold. The EFX was a trifold. Does anyone have the quad? Or know the quality difference between the EFX and FX series?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a cheap tyger roll up
Has worked pretty for me
Quality is. It the greatest but cost me 189 from amazon
I also have the utility trac and this one comes with two types of clamp system included
The u clamp was the easiest

·
Registered
21 Posts
This was just delivered today, took about an hour to install. I am very happy with spending the extra on a Diamondback.
B789FE50-7C3E-4EB8-A875-C061B910D6EF.jpeg
E1816161-FB71-4230-A9F5-3AA64B87F38E.jpeg
BCC9798C-A798-4EC7-8642-DAAB79F3A3A6.jpeg
E52CFA8D-7198-43A4-8464-07B4C4EA582F.jpeg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts