Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2019 Frontier Stereo Replacement with Axxess/Metra harnesses and ASWC-1

66K views 193 replies 38 participants last post by  O-P 
#1 ·
I'm going to work on this over time but I have successfully used the Axxess/Metra adapters to put an aftermarket stereo in my 2019 Frontier retaining the backup camera and steering wheel controls. I understand there is another the 20 pin stereo connector that retains the steering wheel controls without having to re-pin the connector or program the buttons but I already owned the ASWC-1 from my old car. Also, since I purchased most of my gear from Crutchfield their tech support knows the Axxess/Metra products.

Parts Used:
Axxess/Metra 70-7552 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXED54/
Metra 70-7552 Receiver Wiring Harness Connect a new car stereo in select 2007-up Infiniti, Nissan, Subaru, and Suzuki vehicles at Crutchfield

Axxess/Metra AX-NIS40SWC-6V Amazon.com: Axxess AX-NIS40SWC-6V Nissan Maxima w/o amp 2016-up Pre-Wired ASWC-1 Harness
Axxess AX-NIS40SWC-6V Steering Wheel Control Harness Install the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control adapter in select 2016-up Nissan Maxima vehicles without splicing at Crutchfield

Axxess/Metra ASWC-1 https://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-Universal-Steering-Interface/dp/B00B4PJC9K
Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter Connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to select aftermarket car stereos at Crutchfield

Metra 97-7619 Metra 95-7619 Dash Kit Fits select 2013-up Nissan models — double-DIN radios at Crutchfield

Electop USB A to B https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PGGUWA/

Fender Washers

Tools Used:
Trim/Panel Remover https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R44VJHN/
Philips Screw Driver
T10 Torx Driver
T20 Torx Driver
Crimping Tool
Wire Stripper 2 Sewing Straight Pins
Almost all of these tools on the list are self explanatory except for the straight pins. Those are use to release the wires from the 40 pin plug. Any thin, flat, narrow object that will fit in the slot will work. The straight pins worked really well and by time I finished I was able to easily pull the pins out of one plug and put them in the new one easily.

I did use butt splices for the connections, while testing everything, but will soldier and heat shrink the connections at a later time.

Documentation Used:
95-7619 Installation Instructions http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INST95-7619_web.pdf

ASWC-1 Vehicle Specific Instructions https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_862.pdf

ASWC-1 Programming Manual https://metra-static.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/ASWC-1_Manual_Programming.pdf

AX-NIS40SWC-6V https://metra-static.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/INSTAX-NIS40SWC-6V_web.pdf

To be continued......

See less See more
#2 ·
One of the biggest questions I've seen on here is how to re-pin the 40 pin connector. I did a quick drawing of how I released the pins. You may have to push the pins in and out a couple of times to press the tab down enough to release the wire. Pull the straight pins out before attempting the pull the pin out of the connector. When the tab is low enough you won't have to pull hard on the wire to remove it from the connector.

#3 · (Edited)
The 40 Pin Connector

This cable is designed for the Maxima and needs to be re-pinned for the 2019 Frontier. I suggest pulling out all of the wires from the harness and starting with an empty harness. The original wiring includes the backup camera, steering wheel controls, dash mount aux input, and the microphone. For this guide we will retain the sterring wheel controls and backup camera. Since my new stereo does not have a AUX input I didn't pin out those connections.

The video input connecter is the yellow RCA plug. It has two wires on the with pins, one yellow and one black.

The reverse wire is the Green/Purple wire.

The red wire is the camera 6V power wire.

The four wires above are the only wires needed to retain the factory backup camera. Keep the extra wires you removed! You will use some of these later to add the steering wheel controls to the 20 pin harness if using the Metra/Axxess 20 pin harness.

When you connect this plug to the factory plug the colors of the factory wires will be different than these wires. Verify your connections by looking at this list.
Harness Plug------------------------Factory Plug
Yellow Wire-----------------------------Black Wire
Black Wire------------------------------Yellow Wire
Red Wire-------------------------------Green/Yellow Wire
Green/Purple Wire-------------------Mint Green Wire

#84 · (Edited)
The 40 Pin Connector

This cable is designed for the Maxima and needs to be re-pinned for the 2019 Frontier. I suggest pulling out all of the wires from the harness and starting with an empty harness. The original wiring includes the backup camera, steering wheel controls, dash mount aux input, and the microphone. For this guide we will retain the sterring wheel controls and backup camera. Since my new stereo does not have a AUX input I didn't pin out those connections.

The video input connecter is the yellow RCA plug. It has two wires on the with pins, one yellow and one black.

The reverse wire is the Green/Purple wire.

The red wire is the camera 6V power wire.

The four wires above are the only wires needed to retain the factory backup camera. Keep the extra wires you removed! You will use some of these later to add the steering wheel controls to the 20 pin harness if using the Metra/Axxess 20 pin harness.

View attachment 318221

View attachment 318210

View attachment 318211

When you connect this plug to the factory plug the colors of the factory wires will be different than these wires. Verify your connections by looking at this list.
Harness Plug------------------------Factory Plug
Yellow Wire-----------------------------Black Wire
Black Wire------------------------------Yellow Wire
Red Wire-------------------------------Green/Yellow Wire
Green/Purple Wire-------------------Mint Green Wire
I have a question before I found this thread I was on phone with a Metra sale rep for a good hour last night. Since the 2020 has no info yet he was going off a 2019 Frontier. Would this work without changing pin location? Metra Online or maybe this? Metra Online AXBUCS-NI246V IDK just wondering

Attachments

#4 ·
The 20 Pin Connector

If using the Axxess/Metra 20 harness and the ASWC-1 you will need to add three wires for the controls to the connector. Since you need the pins I used some of the spare wires from the 40 pin harness to insert on the 20 pin harness. You will splice the grey/red, grey/blue, and black wires from the ASWC-1 harness to spare wires you have. In the end your 20 pin harness should look like below.

#44 · (Edited)
The 20 Pin Connector

If using the Axxess/Metra 20 harness and the ASWC-1 you will need to add three wires for the controls to the connector. Since you need the pins I used some of the spare wires from the 40 pin harness to insert on the 20 pin harness. You will splice the grey/red, grey/blue, and black wires from the ASWC-1 harness to spare wires you have. In the end your 20 pin harness should look like below.

View attachment 318283
I’m at a loss...

I’ve wired up a Sony AX7000 in my 2020 Frontier following this excellent thread.

Problem #1
Head Unit functions all good, but SWC not working. I get the flashing leds on the ASWC-1 but at the end of the self programming sequence I get the alternating red/green flashes indicating it didn’t recognize the vehicle. I have double checked my wiring harness and the only thing I can find that is different, is the black ground wire from the ASWC-1. I wired it into all the other grounds, rather than into the pin on the 20 pin connector. Given the ASWC-1 appears to have power (evidenced by the led flashes) I’m thinking that’s not it.

Before I pull apart my wiring harness, anyone got a different idea? If it’s the ground, how could this matter given all grounds are essentially connected anyway? ( just trying to understand)

Problem #2
Backup camera not working. The 40 pin connector is repinned per this thread. I verified my connections and that the voltage converter is outputting 6 volts and sending it back down the red wire to the camera.

What I am seeing is a “no video input” error on the HU. I have verified the HU reverse signal, the 12v in to the voltage converter(blue/white), and the green/purple wire in the 40 pin connector are all tied together per the wiring diagram.

So I’m sure I am missing something obvious. Care to gently enlighten me? [emoji120]

#5 ·
Thanks for posting the information, I like some have been searching for this information for several months. I bought a '19 SV 4x4 in GunMetal and I love t thus far. I actually have received a repining tool set and figured out how to repin the connector. I would like to know what head unit you went with?

#6 ·
I went with the Alpine iXL-W650. I’ve had it for about a year and a half now and am still happy with my selection.

Although I haven’t installed it in the truck yet I also have the add on 4x45watt Alpine KTP-445A amplifier. I will install that when I install the component speakers and 2 under seat powered 8” subwoofers.

#12 ·
oosillyoo question, I might have missed this but where did you connect the red wire pin #57 on the repinned Metra connector to ? Also , did you use the 6v thing w/ the 3wires that came with the the 40 pin Metra kit ? If so, where does it connect to ?
Thanks, your post has been a lot of help

#13 · (Edited)
oosillyoo question, I might have missed this but where did you connect the red wire pin #57 on the repinned Metra connector to ? Also , did you use the 6v thing w/ the 3wires that came with the the 40 pin Metra kit ? If so, where does it connect to ?
Thanks, your post has been a lot of help
Sorry, I've been meaning to get that diagram done. House projects got in the way.

The red wire from the 40 pin harness to the Blue/Red wire on the 6v power adapter included with the kit.

The Green/Purple from the 40 pin connects to the Blue/White of the 6v power adapter and the reverse wire from your new stereo.

The black wire from the 6v power adapter just needs to be grounded.

I should have a diagram tomorrow.

#17 ·
Yes, I did find the kit a little sloppy but I had already dealt with the same kind of issue in my old car. I used black foam to seal the small gaps. My bigger issue was the sloppiness of the factory mounting studs. My factory stereo didn't sit right because they are different heights. I used small washers as spacers between the metra kit and factory studs to adjust the depth. I highly suggest using a fender washer on the upper mounting spot of the metra kit that is an open U shape. Without a fender washer that plastic just spreads apart.

#19 ·
The buttons on the steering wheel are programmable. The instructions are in the link of my original post.

I originally used the Alpine microphone but couldn’t find a good location to mount it. The factor microphone isn’t an option from everything I’ve tried. I ended up finding one on Amazon that I like. The sound quality is better than the Alpine and my wife says call sound better than the original stereo and factory microphone.

PUMPKIN Hands Free External... Amazon.com: PUMPKIN Hands Free External Microphone, 3.5mm External Mic for Car Stereo Radio DVD Player GPS Navigation with 4.9ft Cable

#20 · (Edited)
EDIT- nevermind I found the wiring diagram

This thread has been extremely helpful in helping me prep for the same install. I was working on the pins today and my head unit does indeed have an AUX input. I was wondering if you knew offhand which pins and wires correspond to the AUX input. Worst case I could just use the multimeter to figure it out, but was wondering if you happened to know if it’s already documented somewhere? Thanks! If I figure it out on my own I will let you all know...

#21 ·
This thread has been extremely helpful in helping me prep for the same install. I was working on the pins today and my head unit does indeed have an AUX input. I was wondering if you knew offhand which pins and wires correspond to the AUX input. Worst case I could just use the multimeter to figure it out, but was wondering if you happened to know if it’s already documented somewhere? Thanks! If I figure it out on my own I will let you all know...
You're very welcome. I have not had time to figure out the pins for the AUX input yet. I was hoping to get some time tomorrow to work on finishing my install, which means I'll have my dash apart. I'll trace it out if I get time before you get to it.

#22 ·
Well I finally got the harness all wired and the HU installed. Of course I have hiccup, I used the iDataMaestro SW instead of the Axxces sw controller and I have no power to it, therefor no sw controls. I"ll have to work on that . Next I need to find the Bluetooth hub/connector and plug in the bypass, I looked under the passenger seat and all I can see are seat warmer power plugs.I checked the lft side kick panel and I see no plug that matches the bypass plugs configuration any one have any suggestions ? I also have a black screen for a backup camera. On the brighter side I do have FM Stereo.
If any one has any ideas or recommendations please post them.

Thanks

#23 ·
Well I finally got the harness all wired and the HU installed. Of course I have hiccup, I used the iDataMaestro SW instead of the Axxces sw controller and I have no power to it, therefor no sw controls. I"ll have to work on that . Next I need to find the Bluetooth hub/connector and plug in the bypass, I looked under the passenger seat and all I can see are seat warmer power plugs.I checked the lft side kick panel and I see no plug that matches the bypass plugs configuration any one have any suggestions ? I also have a black screen for a backup camera. On the brighter side I do have FM Stereo.
If any one has any ideas or recommendations please post them.

Thanks
Can you share pictures of your connections and harness ends? Did you miss a ground for the steering wheel controls box?

I don’t believe anything after 2011 or 2015, depending on if you have the external amplifier, requires the Bluetooth bypass. I know in my 2019 I didn’t need to use one.

#33 ·
You wrote: I understand there is another the 20 pin stereo connector that retains the steering wheel controls without having to re-pin the connector or program the buttons but I already owned the ASWC-1 from my old car.
What do you know about this connector? I'm going to install this same radio - but I'd like to know the difference between using the 20 pin stereo connector you talk about and using the ASWC-1. Maybe I don't understand what you wrote though - let me know please.
I used this harness and it comes with the 20 pin harness that has the extra wires needed for the SWC's. It also comes with the SWC adapter. Been using this harness with my Kenwood HU for almost a year with no issues. BTW you don't have to reprogram the buttons like you do for the ASWC-1

#28 ·
I just finished installing my Alpine ILX-W650 with the help of this guide. Thanks so much for the info. I was able to keep all of my steering wheel functions (the phone button even activates google now). I used the ASWC-1, and it worked without any effort at all. I just soldered the wires it told me in the manufacturers instructions and then held the volume up button so it would automatically program itself. I was also able to keep my factory backup camera by cutting the 4 wires shown on the first page of this thread out of the 40 pin harness (pins 30, 57, 58, & 59). I routed the reverse input (light blue wire, pin 30) to my head unit, the camera signal (shiny black wire, pin 59), and ground (white wire, pin 58) wires to the rca signal and ground respectively on an old rca cord I had, and I used this Voltage Converter I already had laying around to take in 12V from the factory harness and convert it to 6V for the green/yellow wire which provides camera power. I just tied the ground on the output of the converter back to the input on the converter, and attached the radio ground to the input of the converter as well. I also installed this brake bypass and used this micro usb to usb A converter to keep the factory usb outlet as my android auto port. I may try to use the factory microphone later, but for now I am using the alpine microphone.

#43 ·
I just finished installing my Alpine ILX-W650 with the help of this guide. Thanks so much for the info. I was able to keep all of my steering wheel functions (the phone button even activates google now). I used the ASWC-1, and it worked without any effort at all. I just soldered the wires it told me in the manufacturers instructions and then held the volume up button so it would automatically program itself. I was also able to keep my factory backup camera by cutting the 4 wires shown on the first page of this thread out of the 40 pin harness (pins 30, 57, 58, & 59). I routed the reverse input (light blue wire, pin 30) to my head unit, the camera signal (shiny black wire, pin 59), and ground (white wire, pin 58) wires to the rca signal and ground respectively on an old rca cord I had, and I used this Voltage Converter I already had laying around to take in 12V from the factory harness and convert it to 6V for the green/yellow wire which provides camera power. I just tied the ground on the output of the converter back to the input on the converter, and attached the radio ground to the input of the converter as well. I also installed this brake bypass and used this micro usb to usb A converter to keep the factory usb outlet as my android auto port. I may try to use the factory microphone later, but for now I am using the alpine microphone.
How exactly did you do this with that converter?

#30 ·
I saw a youtube video where a guy just finished installing his new Alpine iLX-W650 radio. It took 10 seconds for the radio to start up and be ready to use. Is this only initial installation startup time - or does it take that long every time you use the radio?

#36 ·
So the Spiral audio IX-NI008 is all one needs to connect an aftermarket radio to the factory system to retain the SWC and back up camera? No switching of wires needed. Just it, the new radio and the mounting bracket and you are good to go? Do you need a certain aftermarket head unit for the backup camera to work?

#37 ·
I haven't installed one - but I can tell you it will not work with 2019 and 2020 Frontier that has the OEM 7" display radio. The website link that was provided has an area where you enter your vehicle info - and it tells you what fits.

#41 ·
Osillyoo's original post lists everything you need to install in a 2019. His post 14 has a wiring diagram showing all the parts. I got everything but the NIS40SWC 6v from Crutchfield. Installed a Kenwood following the wiring diagram and everything work including all the steering wheel controls. If the spiral harness is the same as the Axxcess 20 pin, your still going to need the other parts listed in the original post. I did end up making one call to Crutchfield tech support because I wasn't sure about grounding the wire the Axxcess SWC instructions said to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.