Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to work on this over time but I have successfully used the Axxess/Metra adapters to put an aftermarket stereo in my 2019 Frontier retaining the backup camera and steering wheel controls. I understand there is another the 20 pin stereo connector that retains the steering wheel controls without having to re-pin the connector or program the buttons but I already owned the ASWC-1 from my old car. Also, since I purchased most of my gear from Crutchfield their tech support knows the Axxess/Metra products.

Parts Used:
Axxess/Metra 70-7552 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXED54/
Metra 70-7552 Receiver Wiring Harness Connect a new car stereo in select 2007-up Infiniti, Nissan, Subaru, and Suzuki vehicles at Crutchfield

Axxess/Metra AX-NIS40SWC-6V Amazon.com: Axxess AX-NIS40SWC-6V Nissan Maxima w/o amp 2016-up Pre-Wired ASWC-1 Harness
Axxess AX-NIS40SWC-6V Steering Wheel Control Harness Install the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control adapter in select 2016-up Nissan Maxima vehicles without splicing at Crutchfield

Axxess/Metra ASWC-1 https://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-Universal-Steering-Interface/dp/B00B4PJC9K
Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter Connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to select aftermarket car stereos at Crutchfield

Metra 97-7619 Metra 95-7619 Dash Kit Fits select 2013-up Nissan models — double-DIN radios at Crutchfield

Electop USB A to B https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PGGUWA/

Fender Washers

Tools Used:
Trim/Panel Remover https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R44VJHN/
Philips Screw Driver
T10 Torx Driver
T20 Torx Driver
Crimping Tool
Wire Stripper 2 Sewing Straight Pins
Almost all of these tools on the list are self explanatory except for the straight pins. Those are use to release the wires from the 40 pin plug. Any thin, flat, narrow object that will fit in the slot will work. The straight pins worked really well and by time I finished I was able to easily pull the pins out of one plug and put them in the new one easily.

I did use butt splices for the connections, while testing everything, but will soldier and heat shrink the connections at a later time.

Documentation Used:
95-7619 Installation Instructions http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INST95-7619_web.pdf

ASWC-1 Vehicle Specific Instructions https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_862.pdf

ASWC-1 Programming Manual https://metra-static.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/ASWC-1_Manual_Programming.pdf

AX-NIS40SWC-6V https://metra-static.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/INSTAX-NIS40SWC-6V_web.pdf

To be continued......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One of the biggest questions I've seen on here is how to re-pin the 40 pin connector. I did a quick drawing of how I released the pins. You may have to push the pins in and out a couple of times to press the tab down enough to release the wire. Pull the straight pins out before attempting the pull the pin out of the connector. When the tab is low enough you won't have to pull hard on the wire to remove it from the connector.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The 40 Pin Connector

This cable is designed for the Maxima and needs to be re-pinned for the 2019 Frontier. I suggest pulling out all of the wires from the harness and starting with an empty harness. The original wiring includes the backup camera, steering wheel controls, dash mount aux input, and the microphone. For this guide we will retain the sterring wheel controls and backup camera. Since my new stereo does not have a AUX input I didn't pin out those connections.

The video input connecter is the yellow RCA plug. It has two wires on the with pins, one yellow and one black.

The reverse wire is the Green/Purple wire.

The red wire is the camera 6V power wire.

The four wires above are the only wires needed to retain the factory backup camera. Keep the extra wires you removed! You will use some of these later to add the steering wheel controls to the 20 pin harness if using the Metra/Axxess 20 pin harness.

When you connect this plug to the factory plug the colors of the factory wires will be different than these wires. Verify your connections by looking at this list.
Harness Plug------------------------Factory Plug
Yellow Wire-----------------------------Black Wire
Black Wire------------------------------Yellow Wire
Red Wire-------------------------------Green/Yellow Wire
Green/Purple Wire-------------------Mint Green Wire

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 20 Pin Connector

If using the Axxess/Metra 20 harness and the ASWC-1 you will need to add three wires for the controls to the connector. Since you need the pins I used some of the spare wires from the 40 pin harness to insert on the 20 pin harness. You will splice the grey/red, grey/blue, and black wires from the ASWC-1 harness to spare wires you have. In the end your 20 pin harness should look like below.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for posting the information, I like some have been searching for this information for several months. I bought a '19 SV 4x4 in GunMetal and I love t thus far. I actually have received a repining tool set and figured out how to repin the connector. I would like to know what head unit you went with?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for posting the information, I like some have been searching for this information for several months. I bought a '19 SV 4x4 in GunMetal and I love t thus far. I actually have received a repining tool set and figured out how to repin the connector. I would like to know what head unit you went with?
I went with the Alpine iXL-W650. I’ve had it for about a year and a half now and am still happy with my selection.

Although I haven’t installed it in the truck yet I also have the add on 4x45watt Alpine KTP-445A amplifier. I will install that when I install the component speakers and 2 under seat powered 8” subwoofers.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 CC, Midnight edition, white
100 Posts
I have a pair of Alpine PWE-S8 powered subwoofers.
I find the Alpine link hilarious. One picture of the product floating in space and a bunch of pictures of beautiful people high five-ing, hugging and jumping around! I wanted to see the product installed somewhere and instead I got to see a bunch of strangers go to the beach. Funny!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find the Alpine link hilarious. One picture of the product floating in space and a bunch of pictures of beautiful people high five-ing, hugging and jumping around! I wanted to see the product installed somewhere and instead I got to see a bunch of strangers go to the beach. Funny!
I’ll take pictures of mine once they are in. I’ve already verified they’ll fit under the front seats. I was going to post a Crutchfield link but didn’t want to start to look like I was just pushing their products.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 CC, Midnight edition, white
100 Posts
I like your post so far and the info you have shared. I just find it funny what Alpine thinks sells products. Or maybe I’m just a dinosaur!

·
Registered
32 Posts
oosillyoo question, I might have missed this but where did you connect the red wire pin #57 on the repinned Metra connector to ? Also , did you use the 6v thing w/ the 3wires that came with the the 40 pin Metra kit ? If so, where does it connect to ?
Thanks, your post has been a lot of help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
oosillyoo question, I might have missed this but where did you connect the red wire pin #57 on the repinned Metra connector to ? Also , did you use the 6v thing w/ the 3wires that came with the the 40 pin Metra kit ? If so, where does it connect to ?
Thanks, your post has been a lot of help
Sorry, I've been meaning to get that diagram done. House projects got in the way.

The red wire from the 40 pin harness to the Blue/Red wire on the 6v power adapter included with the kit.

The Green/Purple from the 40 pin connects to the Blue/White of the 6v power adapter and the reverse wire from your new stereo.

The black wire from the 6v power adapter just needs to be grounded.

I should have a diagram tomorrow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm open to questions, suggestions or whatever. The last diagram was done somewhat from memory and pictures. I'll be verifying it to mine next time I take my dash apart.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great , I think I've got it.I am going to get to it this weekend and I post my results. Did your Metra mounting kit fit a little sloppy around the radio face ?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great , I think I've got it.I am going to get to it this weekend and I post my results. Did your Metra mounting kit fit a little sloppy around the radio face ?

Thanks
Yes, I did find the kit a little sloppy but I had already dealt with the same kind of issue in my old car. I used black foam to seal the small gaps. My bigger issue was the sloppiness of the factory mounting studs. My factory stereo didn't sit right because they are different heights. I used small washers as spacers between the metra kit and factory studs to adjust the depth. I highly suggest using a fender washer on the upper mounting spot of the metra kit that is an open U shape. Without a fender washer that plastic just spreads apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where you able to keep all of the steering wheel controls with this setup? I'm about to do the same exact install and want to make sure I will keep the calling buttons on my wheel. Did you reuse the factory microphone or the alpine one?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where you able to keep all of the steering wheel controls with this setup? I'm about to do the same exact install and want to make sure I will keep the calling buttons on my wheel. Did you reuse the factory microphone or the alpine one?
The buttons on the steering wheel are programmable. The instructions are in the link of my original post.

I originally used the Alpine microphone but couldn’t find a good location to mount it. The factor microphone isn’t an option from everything I’ve tried. I ended up finding one on Amazon that I like. The sound quality is better than the Alpine and my wife says call sound better than the original stereo and factory microphone.

PUMPKIN Hands Free External... Amazon.com: PUMPKIN Hands Free External Microphone, 3.5mm External Mic for Car Stereo Radio DVD Player GPS Navigation with 4.9ft Cable

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab
7 Posts
EDIT- nevermind I found the wiring diagram

This thread has been extremely helpful in helping me prep for the same install. I was working on the pins today and my head unit does indeed have an AUX input. I was wondering if you knew offhand which pins and wires correspond to the AUX input. Worst case I could just use the multimeter to figure it out, but was wondering if you happened to know if it’s already documented somewhere? Thanks! If I figure it out on my own I will let you all know...

1 - 20 of 163 Posts