Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seems like I'm filling up more than with my previous F-150 5.4 4x4, but I suspect thats because of the smaller tank capacity.
I haven't checked the mileage yet. Waiting for it to get broke in good first.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think gas mileage is comparable to most other trucks. The main problems are the rather small fuel tank and the very pessimistic sending unit. It will say you have 0 miles left when in reality you still have like 2-3 gallons left. Guess they do that to preserve fuel pump, but wish that it was closer to reality on what is left in tank. Plus i wish we had at least a 25 gal tank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2019 SV, 2x drive. I have a 48 mile commute, one way. About 35 is interstate. I use cruise control pretty regularly and get 19 mpg. overall.

·
Premium Member
2019 Frontier SV 4X4 CC A/T 3" lift - Radflos, SPC ca, ADO +3leaf +shackles, Shrockworks skids
157 Posts
"I drive two miles a day, city streets, and I get 14-15mpg's. If I mix in slightly longer trips on a tank I'll approach 16-17mpg. On a flat interstate best I've gotten is 21.5mpg. I don't mind the mileage so much (since where else can you get a great looking four door crew cab 4x4 pickup with a torquey V6, heated seats, dual climate control, parking sensors and bed rail system for $28k out the door?), but I do wish the gas tank was at least 30-40% larger."
The gas mileage numbers in this post are spot on for this truck, and exactly what I'm getting with 2.5 lift a bed cover, and 200lbs of cargo, full synthetic fluids, WIX filters. I have noticed that if the pressure is under 35 on 265/70/16 tires you'll suffer about 10 percent mpg (30psi). Trying 40psi, we'll see if that does anything for highway mileage tomorrow. Otherwise, not much can be done about it; just keep up with the maintenance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been breaking-in a new 2019 Frontier KCSV 4x4 4.0L V6 and varying the speed from 35-75 on surface suburban streets, highways and freeways. In three of the four fills that I have done, I have gotten 20.5, 19.00 and the latest 23.00 mpg and now have 550 miles on the truck. I generally have not revved it past 3k but a few times took it up to the 4k break-in limit just to exercise the engine throughout the initial rev range. I bought the truck as a knock around do everything vehicle other than when the weather is good and I can play with my C7 Corvette.

Right now, Florida is experiencing Love-Bugs which will begin to ruin your paint after their guts are on the vehicle for more than 8 hours. So, I gave the truck a complete waxing at 100 miles with Maguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax which is a synthetic polymer and wash the truck with Meguiar's Ultimate car wash soap which enhances the original polymer wax according to the company. I have had an opportunity to do some very short 4 wheeling down some rutted dirt roads during the break-in and that is a lot of fun. Not quite as capable as you all with the Pro 4X's but fun nonetheless.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think gas mileage is comparable to most other trucks. The main problems are the rather small fuel tank and the very pessimistic sending unit. It will say you have 0 miles left when in reality you still have like 2-3 gallons left. Guess they do that to preserve fuel pump, but wish that it was closer to reality on what is left in tank. Plus i wish we had at least a 25 gal tank.
Yup. This is the first vehicle where I regularly wait until the fuel light comes on to fill it. The fuel tank is 21 gallons, and if I fill it right after the light comes on, I pump in about 15 gallons. All my other vehicles I've filled at half empty/half full.

I'm tempted to put "For Reference Only. Check Fuel Level Manually" on the gauge cluster like an airplane's fuel gauge.

Reactions: mxtreme30

·
Registered
865 Posts
As others have said, just fill it up when it's empty. You will go nuts worrying about and tracking mpg.

That said, cruise control and a light right foot help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I drive conservatively I can average 20-23 maybe 25-27 at most but that does not happen often. I did not buy a pickup for fuel economy but I suppose it is not bad considering all of the various factors that effect fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
Vermontiscold, V6 or I4?

I can't see EVER getting 20+ mpg if all stop&go city driving. Some or mostly expressway driving where 45 mph is the AVERAGE, then that will help tremendously toward higher fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
Yep. I knew something was up w/ your numbers. lol

·
Registered
989 Posts
Do you have an S trim as well?

It will be interesting to see what the 2021 model will have, perhaps a cylinder deactivation system?
If it's anything like Honda's VCM, or GM's ACM, it works okay at best. Of the "save every drop" solutions, I'd rank auto start-stop above cylinder deactivation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree but to add both of those technologies will probably increase the cost of the newer models to that of around what the competition is charging for relative mid size pickups, so if Nissan wants to remain the cheapest new midsize pickup in North America they will have to balance that with the competition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree but to add both of those technologies will probably increase the cost of the newer models to that of around what the competition is charging for relative mid size pickups, so if Nissan wants to remain the cheapest new midsize pickup in North America they will have to balance that with the competition.
It is crazy how expensive new pickups are in US/Canada. I don't want to talk from an Ivory tower as I do have a newer model Mercedes sedan so I do forfeit the right to complain about new car cost, however it is not uncommon to hear of a new car costing 30-40k and full size pickups well over 50k. A pickup is suppose to be a work truck for the working class/blue collar people, at 50,000+ that is out of the reach for most individuals.

·
Registered
989 Posts
It is crazy how expensive new pickups are in US/Canada. I don't want to talk from an Ivory tower as I do have a newer model Mercedes sedan so I do forfeit the right to complain about new car cost, however it is not uncommon to hear of a new car costing 30-40k and full size pickups well over 50k. A pickup is suppose to be a work truck for the working class/blue collar people, at 50,000+ that is out of the reach for most individuals.
I hear that quite a bit. But I think it's because that $50k truck has options not even available 20 years ago.

For example, my '02 F-150 XLT had an MSRP of just shy of $26,000 in 2002. Adjusted for inflation, that's just over $38,000 today, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

If I wanted a similar truck today with about the same power and about the same options, I'd actually have to go one trim down to an XL with Chrome Appearance Package. Full MSRP for a truck on the lot near me is $36,975, with an asking price of $28,113.

Pretty good deal if you ask me, especially since the new truck has features unheard of or otherwise unavailable in 2002, like a color backup camera, bluetooth, flat cargo floor, selectable drive modes, etc. And it doesn't crush like a soda can in the IIHS crash tests!

Another way to look at it is an F-150 Platinum has an MSRP of $66,000, which is about $45,000 in 2002. But besides the fact that a 2002 F-150 Lariat (the highest trim available) doesn't even come close to the Platinum, the Platinum has features only found on luxury cars back then, if that at all, such as:
  • Radar-guided cruise control
  • Blind spot monitor
  • panoramic moonroof
  • navigation with 8" color touch screen
  • 10-way power seats with heating and cooling and 3 massage functions
  • heated outboard rear seats
  • Two A/C power outlets
  • power running boards
  • dual zone auto climate
  • 360 birds-eye camera
And that's just what I noticed from clicking through the pictures.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts