Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
No worries, they don't attach to the inner fender. Not like rally armor at all, really. Pull it up specifically for the Frontier, I thought it was fairly ingenius. I had rally armors on my bug eye and like them these are different They have brackets that bring the fronts outside of the fender from the factory attach points. But it sounds like you're good anyways.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No worries, they don't attach to the inner fender. Not like rally armor at all, really. Pull it up specifically for the Frontier, I thought it was fairly ingenius. I had rally armors on my bug eye and like them these are different They have brackets that bring the fronts outside of the fender from the factory attach points. But it sounds like you're good anyways.
Good info either way, I'll have to check them out

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Closed on a garage for the Frontier this weekend. Some bedrooms, a kitchen and other nonsense came with it. First time homeowner and first time having my own garage. Very excited to stop bumming garage space for projects and truck work 😁

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
View attachment 328338

Closed on a garage for the Frontier this weekend. Some bedrooms, a kitchen and other nonsense came with it. First time homeowner and first time having my own garage. Very excited to stop bumming garage space for projects and truck work 😁
Congrats on the new place!
How did I miss this build.. last I knew you had a level kit but dang that truck looks good!
I’m thinking about the Alldogs 2” springs also, about how much did they settle? Is the ride noticeably different from the spacers?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Congrats on the new place!
How did I miss this build.. last I knew you had a level kit but dang that truck looks good!
I’m thinking about the Alldogs 2” springs also, about how much did they settle? Is the ride noticeably different from the spacers?
Thank you. It's been a while! Hope you've been well. They did definitely settle, I ended up having to get my alignment done a second time about 3 weeks after I put the lift on (got it aligned day of). The ride is definitely different, you feel the road more for sure (cracks, waves in the pavement at highway speed) but big bumps are worlds better. I'm getting a noise that sounds like CBC right now on harsh little speed bumps (big ones are fine), still trying to figure that out with the ADO guys as it apparently is something they dont commonly see with this kit so we will see what the issue ends up being. Overall fairly happy with it though

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Not that it has anything to do with your noise but I have often wondered about noises with aftermarket struts that don’t come with the lower isolators where the springs seat on lower perch. I’ve got a new set of struts that I’m thinking about throwing the ADO springs on and if I do I’ll probably make or buy some isolators to put on them just in case.. They must do this for a reason right!

Hope you get this figured out..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not that it has anything to do with your noise but I have often wondered about noises with aftermarket struts that don’t come with the lower isolators where the springs seat on lower perch. I’ve got a new set of struts that I’m thinking about throwing the ADO springs on and if I do I’ll probably make or buy some isolators to put on them just in case.. They must do this for a reason right!

Hope you get this figured out..
It feels like my shock is topping out when front end weight is lifted from the bump, could this be what you are referring to? I thought initially that is what my problem was (and my mechanic agreed after a short demonstration) but the ADO guys claim that isnt what I'm feeling... either way I havent had a good chance to mess with it with all of the home stuff going on and whatnot. Hopefully in the next month or so I can get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I had found this excerpt from an xterra forum but ADO claims this isnt accurate after reviewing it "But, to sum it up - As soon as you stick higher rate springs on those 5100's, the rebound damping will be wrong. If you put longer springs with a higher rate (the OME MD and HD), you'll not only have problems with rebound damping, you'll also be introduced to the dreaded 5100 top out clunk.

Here's why - and I'll try to make this short.

Rebound damping for any shock is dictated by how fast the engineers want the suspension to rise back up after the suspension is compressed. As soon as you change to a higher rate spring, you've increased the force extending the shocks. More force = faster rebound. The damping won't be enough to slow the suspension from extending too quickly and the suspension will "bounce" up too fast.

Increasing spring length (keeping the rate the same) will mean the spring will have to be compressed more than a shorter spring, just to get it to fit on to the shock. When the shock is fully extended, that longer spring will be applying more force to the shock than a shorter spring. This force is Preload. More preload on a spring = more lift, BUT, it also means that the spring is applying more force trying to extend the shock. Sound familiar? That's because it's the same problem you have with a higher rate spring. Too much force and the rebound damping is not enough to slow the suspension down when extending.

If you put OME MD coils on a 5100, they are longer AND have a higher spring rate. While the truck will sit higher, you're going to end up with a suspension that is underdamped and will bounce - resulting in a less than ideal ride.".

Would be interested in others' thoughts. Might end up making a separate post about it.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I had found this excerpt from an xterra forum but ADO claims this isnt accurate after reviewing it "But, to sum it up - As soon as you stick higher rate springs on those 5100's, the rebound damping will be wrong. If you put longer springs with a higher rate (the OME MD and HD), you'll not only have problems with rebound damping, you'll also be introduced to the dreaded 5100 top out clunk.

Here's why - and I'll try to make this short.

Rebound damping for any shock is dictated by how fast the engineers want the suspension to rise back up after the suspension is compressed. As soon as you change to a higher rate spring, you've increased the force extending the shocks. More force = faster rebound. The damping won't be enough to slow the suspension from extending too quickly and the suspension will "bounce" up too fast.

Increasing spring length (keeping the rate the same) will mean the spring will have to be compressed more than a shorter spring, just to get it to fit on to the shock. When the shock is fully extended, that longer spring will be applying more force to the shock than a shorter spring. This force is Preload. More preload on a spring = more lift, BUT, it also means that the spring is applying more force trying to extend the shock. Sound familiar? That's because it's the same problem you have with a higher rate spring. Too much force and the rebound damping is not enough to slow the suspension down when extending.

If you put OME MD coils on a 5100, they are longer AND have a higher spring rate. While the truck will sit higher, you're going to end up with a suspension that is underdamped and will bounce - resulting in a less than ideal ride.".

Would be interested in others' thoughts. Might end up making a separate post about it.
That makes sense.. different scenario but similar deal with my old dodge, I cranked the torsion bars for somewhere around 2” lift and the small bumps was where I could really feel the shocks being over extended with a quick abrupt rebound from the extra torsion bar force on the A/arms. Longer shocks fixed that problem!

Might be a silly question but have you rechecked all hardware., mainly lower strut bolts and camber bolts, even the 3 upper strut bolts?

Also the isolators I was talking about would not be that type of noise., probably would be more like a squeak.. maybe! It just separates metal to metal and I thought for that reason.. squeakes!
D3DFA98A-0EC4-4AB9-994D-6EEB37D8CBCC.png

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That makes sense.. different scenario but similar deal with my old dodge, I cranked the torsion bars for somewhere around 2” lift and the small bumps was where I could really feel the shocks being over extended with a quick abrupt rebound from the extra torsion bar force on the A/arms. Longer shocks fixed that problem!

Might be a silly question but have you rechecked all hardware., mainly lower strut bolts and camber bolts, even the 3 upper strut bolts?

Also the isolators I was talking about would not be that type of noise., probably would be more like a squeak.. maybe! It just separates metal to metal and I thought for that reason.. squeakes! View attachment 328410
After alot of research I'm coming to the conclusion that, as explained in that xterra excerpt, that the coils just top the billsteins out. Honestly, if I had known this I might have gone a different route but overall the ride quality is good.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
After alot of research I'm coming to the conclusion that, as explained in that xterra excerpt, that the coils just top the billsteins out. Honestly, if I had known this I might have gone a different route but overall the ride quality is good.
I’m sorry it’s a problem for you but glad you put it out here for us to think about. I was thinking of going this exact route. Please let us know what you get figured out on this. Meanwhile have fun making your place your own!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts