Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Excited to be part of this forum... I just recently got myself into a lease for a 2018 SV frontier. I traded in my 2014 SV which had the sprayed bedliner, tow package, utili-track system.

The new lease I went with does not have the utili-track system or spray bedliner :frown:

Just realizing now how much I used the utili-track system for my tonneau cover, bed extender, cleats and bike rack mount and am pretty disappointed I did not go for this package again..

I did some research and found that I CAN NOT get the same utili-track system into my truck bed. Are their aftermarket track systems out there that are the same size? Hoping to find something that will work with the bed extender I have along with the other accessories that would hook up to that track. Would the bed extender fit on my bed without the track system? I haven't tried it yet

I was able to find a roll up tonneau cover that clamps onto the side which will be fine for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,974 Posts
On my 2015 the five bolts at the back of the cab on the bed will accommodate that particular piece of utilitrack. I added that to mine with OEM hardware.

The floor lacks the bosses in the sheet metal though. I drilled through the tracks themselves for two on each side to line up with the floor knock-outs, and then drilled one hole out through the bed for another fastener in the middle.

I have yet to tackle my side tracks, I think the spacing under the lip is not a consistent width front to back on the truck so I have to figure out how I want to bolt them in there. Factory the tracks are flush but that's because of a series of standoffs that push the tracks out that far. On a truck that was never equipped to start with those standoffs don't exist.

Or alternately if you can find a truck bed with the system you could swap it. *grin*

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my 2015 the five bolts at the back of the cab on the bed will accommodate that particular piece of utilitrack. I added that to mine with OEM hardware.

The floor lacks the bosses in the sheet metal though. I drilled through the tracks themselves for two on each side to line up with the floor knock-outs, and then drilled one hole out through the bed for another fastener in the middle.

I have yet to tackle my side tracks, I think the spacing under the lip is not a consistent width front to back on the truck so I have to figure out how I want to bolt them in there. Factory the tracks are flush but that's because of a series of standoffs that push the tracks out that far. On a truck that was never equipped to start with those standoffs don't exist.

Or alternately if you can find a truck bed with the system you could swap it. *grin*
Good to know for the back of the cab. That will accommodate my bike mount system.. Where were you able to find 1 piece of utili-track?

The floor tracks I never really used, but the sides would be great too if I could get some kind of track on them. I do notice 3 or 4 holes on each side now.. not sure if these can be used.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,974 Posts
Good to know for the back of the cab. That will accommodate my bike mount system.. Where were you able to find 1 piece of utili-track?

The floor tracks I never really used, but the sides would be great too if I could get some kind of track on them. I do notice 3 or 4 holes on each side now.. not sure if these can be used.
I bought all of my utilitrack parts at an auto wrecking yard. Spent $175 if memory serves, they pulled everything and saved the fasteners for me.

The stuff is the same dimensions as conventional strut-channel, also called Unistrut, but strut-channel lacks the drilled notches. I had previously looked into if aluminum strut-channel would be cheaper (OEM prices for the Nissan parts new are close to $800) but since these trucks have been made with these systems since 2005 I was able to do close enough to buying raw material that sourcing from the junkyard was the easier choice.

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
Wait, I've never leased a car... Are you really allowed to go drilling holes in a leased vehicle? I would have assumed the lease terms would specify that it has to stay pretty much stock.
No, you’re not supposed to do things to a leased vehicle, however since these trucks do come with utilitrac I highly doubt anyone would pick up on this at lease return time.
I’ve had the tracks on three Frontiers and my Titan but rarely use it and have four boxes (16) of cleats but only two cleats are in the truck, I have a never used bed divider and a never used bed extender. Along with those items I have three draw bars and balls for the receiver hitch as I keep using the same one a one adjustable one I bought. All these things are must have at purchase but for me don’t get use after.
I do have the bolt in rope hooks in each corner of the bed and those do get used often.
I imagine they (tapped holes) are still in the 17 & 18 models.

Clint

1 - 8 of 8 Posts