Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I have a 2018 Frontier and I'm thinking about putting on a roof rack. I've got a couple questions:
  1. Does anyone recommend a good roof rack brand? I'm open to a different looking roof rack, but I generally like the OEM versions
  2. Is it easy to install a roof rack?
  3. Does anyone have a roof rack, but regrets it? Possible wind noise, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too am looking to add a rack to my 2019 crew cab.

I am currently looking at a Front Runner rack. I have a good dealer near home (PA), and just stopped by their US show room in California. They were very helpful in all respects. Turns out their specific Frontier rack mount is for a Canadian Frontier C23? It is a bit different from my 2019 US version.

They did have a customer install on a US Frontier crew cab version and it worked with some modifications.

Alyssa at Font Runner in Agoura Hills, CA recommended I use a generic mount for the rack instead. I am now looking into that with my local dealer, Mainline Overland.

We are all in agreement the headliner needs to come down, at least enough to see and work around the air bags.

One dissusion not resolved yet is the connection through roof. Some recommend Rivnuts , but Front Runner recommends bolting through a plate/ reinforcement on the inside. I am in agreement.

Any other rack systems folks have used?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'd be curious what the difference is between the Canadian and US frontiers... pretty sure there the same. Canadian Frontier is still the D40. Do you have a Part number for the Front Runner Rack? i'd be interested in looking at that. I don't see anything for the frontier on their website and i'm not sure what a C23 is.

Thule makes a roof rack for the Frontier. As well Rhino Rack has a few different options for the frontier as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Front Runner Nissan Frontier rack is listed as new, and I have yet to find a search term to get to it. There 185 configurations, so I just scroll through.

NISSAN NAVARA/FRONTIER D23 SLIMLINE II ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT

KRNN002T

When I looked at the Thule rack, I was told it mounted to their load bars, that clamped on the door frames. I'd like to see that before moving in that direction.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The Front Runner Nissan Frontier rack is listed as new, and I have yet to find a search term to get to it. There 185 configurations, so I just scroll through.

NISSAN NAVARA/FRONTIER D23 SLIMLINE II ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT

KRNN002T

When I looked at the Thule rack, I was told it mounted to their load bars, that clamped on the door frames. I'd like to see that before moving in that direction.
Thanks for that. I think that ones for the new NP300 overseas model frontier/navara. I emailed front runner and they don't have anything specific for the D40 Frontier, unfortunately. They did mention the D23 one though and it would fit with some modifications but didn't say what those mods were.

I've used Thule racks in racks in the past they were solid, not as solid as a bolt on rack would be mind you. They have a foot that sits on the roof and a clip that attaches it to the door frame. Plus there easy to take off if you want to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. I saw a picture of the Frontier with the Front Runner rake. It looked good, but the customer did his own mods, and they have not heard any specifics. I'm thinking of trying the generic mount. Alyssa at Front Runner in Agoura suggested that. I'm working with Peter at Mainline Overland to work that out. Hoping to get it started over the winter.

Will post as that gets rolling.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Do you want stock, do you want something that mounts in the channels, are you willing to drill the roof?

·
Registered
9 Posts
All questions I have been asking, but no answers yet. Just installed an ARB bumper with a winch (I awaysc get into trouble with anything I do, so at 72, I need a winch to get me out).

A roof tent is next, but next years budget. I do like the Front Runner.

·
Registered
207 Posts
A roof tent is next, but next years budget. I do like the Front Runner.
I'd get a bed rack to put the tent on, even the crew cab doesn't quite have enough real estate for a tent, unless it has a platform that deploys increasing the sq. footage.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think I'd side here with Skinny, the factory roof racks with doublers are pretty stout ( mine came with one ) but IMHO I'd be a bit concerned about potentially two people's weight being squashed into the roof sheetmetal.

As far as choices, have you considered grabbing one from a wreck? Another OP on here detailed his adventure on that installation and it appeared that the most difficult part of all overall was being sure not to damage the headliner and / or side curtain airbags during the R&R procedure. Just measure three times and drill once. That'd be a legit potential option as well. If you go that way and the yard hasn't pulled it already, be sure to get the threaded Nissan OE load doublers to reinforce the roof and be able to use the stock bolts as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
RyanD1966
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing