Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2018 Pro4X Rear Bumper Mock-up

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JBW 
#1 ·
I tapped my rear bumper turning in a tight spot and my missus is not happy. I need to do something about it, I don’t like the factory bumper plus the back side is rock chipped so a custom fabrication seems the way to go. Lucky for me my neighbor works in a fab shop.
I'm not the best at Google Sketch up so I can't draw a curved pipe. I want to curve the lower tube to match the angle of the 4" square tube and curve the lower step bars to match. I'm hoping the 4" x 3/16 HSS tubing will allow me to put my back up sensors and plate lamps back in as well as add some 3" LED backups inside the square tube.
I'm undecided whether I should drill holes for shackles in the 4 pie shaped verticals or weld a hanging D ring to the underside of the square tube. Also should I drill drain holes in the square tube or use glands for the wires to keep it sealed.
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated

See less See more
#4 ·
Found it (I think). Looks like you can find an old version when Google still had it and still run it.

Didn’t mean to derail your thread. I like the look. Don’t forget to pop a hole in it for the trailer plug.

#6 ·
Many bumper manufacturers will sell you parts to assist in creating your own bumper. A friend bought mounting brackets from Shrockworks and created his design off those. For the shackle mounts, I'd suggest contacting them to see if they will sell you the 1" thick mounts they use on the Xterra front bumper. Make sure to place them in line with the bumper mounting brackets or even attach them to those brackets. This will ensure any load applied will be transferred to the frame and keep your bumper from bending.

#7 ·
Hi Brian, I'm thinking of using channel for the frame mounts laminated with some thicker plate to make the Pie shapes for shackle holes. There is a Marine rigging company I deal with at work who carries a wide assortment of lifting points and rings that should work well for this application. Their catalogue has lots of choices starting on page 101.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.