Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I've put about 1k miles on my new to me 2018 pro4x 6 speed and it just hit 34k miles. Lacking any service history besides basic stuff like oil changes Ive decided it'd be a good idea to change out the fluid in the diffs transfer case and tranny.

Many different preferences on here so I've compiled a shopping list and wouldn't mind some opinions.

Front diff: valvoline 75w90 conventional.

Rear diff: valvoline 75w140 synthetic

Transfer case: Nissan OEM matic D

Transmission: Redline mt-85.

I know many choose Redline/amsoil for the diffs but that makes this job a little too pricy for my liking. Any problems using the valvoline?

Ive always been a honda guy. My honda 6 speeds always liked the oem MTF. People here seem to like redline. Does it really perform better over oem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
seems kinda too soon to change the fluids... i think dealer states at 60k for those... just throwing it out there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be too soon and I appreciate the input. The truck is in great shape but I can't say for sure what kind life it had before I bought it. I guess I'm wanting to do it just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2016 Pro4x 6mt
154 Posts
I believe they say start inspection of fluids in trans @30k. Either way, I have the 6mt as well, and all I have read, basically points back to the Nissan oil, in lieu of aftermarket. Especially if you deal with a colder climate.
That was my plan, based on reading here. Will probably get around to gearbox as soon as I get some oil(40k)
I change my oil every 5k w/ M1(doesn't get driven much, and short trips are the norm).
Synth in the rear diff.
Will do the same in the front.
Already have some Nissan MaticD on the shelf from my last truck.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
For the diffs I've liked Amsoil, it's really not that much more expensive (in fact I think I got it for the same price if not less from their website vs the valvoline at the auto parts store) and it gives you the option of switching the front diff over to synthetic.

That being said, if you stay on top of the maintenance schedule any reputable brand should work just fine.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just bought some amsoil atf and gear oil for mine, not sure if you’re aware but if you pay $10 to join a preferred customer club you get 25% off most things.

That being said I use Valvoline in everything else I own, they just don’t have a 100% synth ATF (full and 100% are not the same)

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Hello, I've put about 1k miles on my new to me 2018 pro4x 6 speed and it just hit 34k miles. Lacking any service history besides basic stuff like oil changes Ive decided it'd be a good idea to change out the fluid in the diffs transfer case and tranny.

Many different preferences on here so I've compiled a shopping list and wouldn't mind some opinions.

Front diff: valvoline 75w90 conventional.
Rear diff: valvoline 75w140 synthetic
Transfer case: Nissan OEM matic D
Transmission: Redline mt-85.

Thanks!
Redline is excellent for 5 and 6 speeds, have used it since the early 90s. I would put 75w90 synthetic up front too, as the front diff is always spinning, 4wd engaged or not. MaticS is the latest automatic fluid so I'd use that for the Transfer Case. I installed Motul MaticS, probably above your desired price point but regardless, I'd use S. I drop into 4wd in less than a second now, used to take 1 to 2, coming out again is always a bit of a dice-toss as the gears and pawls have to get to a place they like before they disconnect. Backing up about 4 or 5 feet usually does the trick.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4
795 Posts
There is a heavy use maintenance schedule that talks about changing driveline fluids every 30K miles, it never hurts to change them more often than 60K, especially if you wheel a lot or tow a lot. I did about every 30K-40K when I had my Frontier and still follow the same schedule on my Xterra. As for brand, AMSOIL goes into pretty much everything, except for my engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody! One of the first things I noticed here is how to the point and "real world" the responses seem to be. I've driven Honda's all my life. Sometimes the Honda forums turn into a pissing match and you leave more confused than when you started, I appreciate the more relaxed nature here.

So, to the point, here's what its come down to:

Front diff: Valvoline 75w90 synthetic

Rear diff: Valvoline 75w140 synthetic

Transfer case: Nissan Matic "D". I would use "S" but it specifically says to only use "D" in manual. Whether that means my choice is nothing more than a "feel good" one, i don't know.

Transmission: Nissan Multi HQ 75w85. I live in New England, cold mornings are more than half the year. If the consensus is that OEM outperforms redline in the cold, I'll take it.

Thank you all again for the help!

·
Premium Member
7,013 Posts
I'm 4x2, so am out-of-touch w/ needs for transfer case & front diff.

Very important: 6-sp needs GL4 and rear diff needs GL5.
I prefer Redline in my 6-sp. Amsoil goes everywhere else.

For as long as these fluids are in there doing what they do, I see NO reason to skimp. $0.02

Reactions: GmanPro4x

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Thanks everybody! One of the first things I noticed here is how to the point and "real world" the responses seem to be. I've driven Honda's all my life. Sometimes the Honda forums turn into a pissing match and you leave more confused than when you started, I appreciate the more relaxed nature here.

So, to the point, here's what its come down to:

Front diff: Valvoline 75w90 synthetic

Rear diff: Valvoline 75w140 synthetic

Transfer case: Nissan Matic "D". I would use "S" but it specifically says to only use "D" in manual. Whether that means my choice is nothing more than a "feel good" one, i don't know.

Transmission: Nissan Multi HQ 75w85. I live in New England, cold mornings are more than half the year. If the consensus is that OEM outperforms redline in the cold, I'll take it.

Thank you all again for the help!
I changed all of my fluids at 30 to synthetic. THough I did use some amsoil and redline products I think that any modern full syn is fine. Here are my thoughts on the the topic by gear box:

Front diff: Valvoline is fine, but if I recall it was 80-90 weight. Not sure what the difference 5w will make on the low end, but if you wanted to stay in spec. Also at 30k I was surprise about the "dirtyness" of this oil

Rear diff: Good

T-case: You do not need to use nissan MAtic D. I use Valvoline max life multi vehicle ATF (full syn). The t-case is a chain/gear driven device. It does not use the ATF in the traditional sense as a working hydrohalic fluid. Nissan just choose a thin oil to use as a "splish splashing" type of lube. I am sure you can even use a very light weight engine oil in a pinch though it will have more drag. Max life is matic D compatible, and the new thin type ATF.

Transmission-Go 75-85. I went 75-90 and have some cold weather (below freezing) shifting issues. Again I do not think you need to go nissan, but... One thing to note about cold weather shifting. The synchro's are designed to aide shifting and mesh with the next gear at about 3000 rpm. THus if you are bogging around and shifting a 2K then you'll have trouble. Most noticeable from 1 to 2. Get the revs up to 3.5K (slowly when cold) then shift.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I changed all of my fluids at 30 to synthetic. THough I did use some amsoil and redline products I think that any modern full syn is fine. Here are my thoughts on the the topic by gear box:

Front diff: Valvoline is fine, but if I recall it was 80-90 weight. Not sure what the difference 5w will make on the low end, but if you wanted to stay in spec. Also at 30k I was surprise about the "dirtyness" of this oil

Rear diff: Good

T-case: You do not need to use nissan MAtic D. I use Valvoline max life multi vehicle ATF (full syn). The t-case is a chain/gear driven device. It does not use the ATF in the traditional sense as a working hydrohalic fluid. Nissan just choose a thin oil to use as a "splish splashing" type of lube. I am sure you can even use a very light weight engine oil in a pinch though it will have more drag. Max life is matic D compatible, and the new thin type ATF.

Transmission-Go 75-85. I went 75-90 and have some cold weather (below freezing) shifting issues. Again I do not think you need to go nissan, but... One thing to note about cold weather shifting. The synchro's are designed to aide shifting and mesh with the next gear at about 3000 rpm. THus if you are bogging around and shifting a 2K then you'll have trouble. Most noticeable from 1 to 2. Get the revs up to 3.5K (slowly when cold) then shift.
Thanks for all that. For the front diff I wanted to stay with valvoline as I'm using it in the rear. I can't find synthetic 80w90 valvoline just 75w90.

I already bought matic d for the transcase. I'll use a cheaper option next time around.

I did buy Nissan 75w85 for the transmission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts