Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My 2018 headlights stink. Driving at night is less than ideal, and I"m trying to think of a creative solution. A couple of initial ideas I have:
1. Is there a simple way to improve the performance of my existing stock lights?
2. Is there a high-quality light bulb that I can use to replace my stock light bulbs that will make a big difference?
3. Is there another option (like replacing the entire lights/adding fog lights) that I'm not considering?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hi!

My 2018 headlights stink. Driving at night is less than ideal, and I"m trying to think of a creative solution. A couple of initial ideas I have:
1. Is there a simple way to improve the performance of my existing stock lights?
2. Is there a high-quality light bulb that I can use to replace my stock light bulbs that will make a big difference?
3. Is there another option (like replacing the entire lights/adding fog lights) that I'm not considering?

Thanks!
A lot of us went to Katana LEDs from amazon. For around the same price as Silver Star Ultras you can have the Katanas. Mine are still going strong over a year later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

Thanks!
In my case , my 06 had very hazy headlights so I swapped them for some cheap eBay ones. In the headlight I am using morimoto 2 strike 2.0. For the fog lights I got the rough country led fog lights , doesn’t quite like up with my steel bumper but I made it work. However since it’s an off road light I would barely use it. I swapped the fog lights for rough country sae fog lights using the same bracket. My lights are bright and do not shine in any other drivers face.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I’ve yet to do anything with the lights but can tell you my dims with the use of my fogs are much more useful than the brights.

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
I think standard halogen headlights work great. I'm going to bash all led conversions "only" because the reflection isn't tuned for leds. This improper conversion creates a hazard for other drivers. As in too effin bright!! Now I know it's great for the person who installed the leds, but think about the other guy that's "blinded by the light"! I have always had very good results with halogen bulbs and a proper headlight alignment. Let the nay sayers begin the bashin!! But think about it for a minute!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Not bashing, but, the caveat is the design of said LED bulb. Stuffing one of the cheapo bulbs with LED chips all around it will cause horrid glare. But, the ones (Katanas as mentioned) have the bulb shape and chip location in a way to try to mimic the light output shape of the incandescent bulb. Aiming is still critical and yes, you still have the limitations / glare of a reflector housing, but, currently, you cannot lump all LED bulbs in one category like in the past.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
DDC411, I'm going to have to politely disagree. I already have the Silver Star Ultras installed and they're well nigh near useless. I thought my Cruze had bad headlights, these are worse. I have 2 x 16" LED light bars up front wired to the high beam circuit, and a 42" curved on the roof so off-road or back-road drives are no issues at all but in-town where I have to be polite, its a bad joke. I'm very very near pulling the trigger on the Katanas, my only concern here is random driver failure, which as a cost-conscious product of the freedom-loving Republic of China, apparently here are nearly as hit-n-miss as most of their other budget products. Although I will say my LED light bars are over 18 months old now and have not had a single whiff of failures or erratic behavious. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think standard halogen headlights work great. I'm going to bash all led conversions "only" because the reflection isn't tuned for leds. This improper conversion creates a hazard for other drivers. As in too effin bright!! Now I know it's great for the person who installed the leds, but think about the other guy that's "blinded by the light"! I have always had very good results with halogen bulbs and a proper headlight alignment. Let the nay sayers begin the bashin!! But think about it for a minute!

i feel you're casting a wide net conclusion based on your generalization of the issue.
since this really comes down to optics and physics what metrics are you actually
using or applying which supports this conclusion?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Raymond, wow! The initial comment was headlights. Not light bars. But what ever. I had feeling this would open a can of [email protected] Just remember the other guy who has to look at your custom light job on the road. If he high beams you in retaliation for your super bright light job. Happy wheelin friends!!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro4x AT
225 Posts
I used to commute early in the morning in a small car where every person with LED or HID bulbs FROM FACTORY blinded you. Even my halogens on that car people would flash me if I simply CLEANED them. The only reason I'd want LEDs is to take more load off of the electrical system. I figure if I'm blinding people, can't be much different than what automakers are putting on the streets already.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Raymond, wow! The initial comment was headlights. Not light bars. But what ever. I had feeling this would open a can of [email protected] Just remember the other guy who has to look at your custom light job on the road. If he high beams you in retaliation for your super bright light job. Happy wheelin friends!!

"wow ?" I'm not sure why the indignation. I simply inquired how you concluded what you posted
in (your) post #6. It is clear that you've concluded that all LED bulbs inserted into a reflector
based headlight designed for halogen will always result in dangerous glare, thus your admitted
justification to 'bash' them.

A quality, artificial light source is based on optics and calibration performed through R&D. Since
LED bulbs currently fall under no standard other than their base design, how do you make the
leap that they are all dangerous and will never function with focus? I may even agree with you
to a small degree but since your assertion is quite broad in scope, I was looking for a more
technical clarification from you....vs emotional or dogma.

·
Registered
359 Posts

This was always my concern, and the biggest reason that I waited until the current design of LED bulbs before making the upgrade. I did not want to be "that guy" driving around blinding oncoming traffic. With the current design of good LED bulbs that almost exactly mimic the halogen bulbs the glare issue has all but gone away with proper installation, and aiming. The first thing I did after installing mine was to turn them on and walk away from the truck and check for glare at pretty much any angle that oncoming traffic would be coming from. To my surprise there was zero glare. I am getting basically the same beam pattern as the stock halogen bulbs, just at a much more usable brightness level. I see a lot of factory LED and HID setups that have glare that far exceeds anything that comes from my truck so at this point I have absolutely no issue with running them. Hell even my wife's vehicle with stock halogen projectors throws more glare than my truck with the Katana bulbs in it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi!

Thanks!
I put Alla leds from Amazon in. There are 10,000 lumes. With the projector lamp stock from Nissan there is no glare in other drivers eyes. You can see a cutoff line where beams stop. Make sure you get the correct leds. You need an Led that has high and low beam. My 2018 used if I recall Hb5 or 9007 which is high/low beam. I also put 10k lume fog lights in. I can see 30m off the road into open fields next to the road. The fog lights you have to make sure there aimed correct. The stock lamps are just a mirror. So it shines everywhere. If there not aimed correct you will blind other drivers. Between the headlights and fog lights I'm at 20,000 lumes. Here's a pic of the dual high/low beam lights. Sorry I could not send link. I know people that use Hikari and Katana as well. I've had these in for 3 months with no issues and there cheaper. Good luck hope you remedy your situation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put Alla leds from Amazon in. There are 10,000 lumes. With the projector lamp stock from Nissan there is no glare in other drivers eyes. You can see a cutoff line where beams stop. Make sure you get the correct leds. You need an Led that has high and low beam. My 2018 used if I recall Hb5 or 9007 which is high/low beam. I also put 10k lume fog lights in. I can see 30m off the road into open fields next to the road. The fog lights you have to make sure there aimed correct. The stock lamps are just a mirror. So it shines everywhere. If there not aimed correct you will blind other drivers. Between the headlights and fog lights I'm at 20,000 lumes. Here's a pic of the dual high/low beam lights. Sorry I could not send link. I know people that use Hikari and Katana as well. I've had these in for 3 months with no issues and there cheaper. Good luck hope you remedy your situation. View attachment 311054

Led Fog lights with stock halogen headlights. I didn't take a pic of the LEDs I put in to replace headlights. Believe me. You will see a difference even if you just put the headlights in and no fogs. I installed leds in my wife's vehicle as well. 100% difference. The projector lamps are factory aimed. All you need is to plug these in. If you get fog lights. Like I said...its basically a mirror behind the led. So it puts light everywhere. They need to be adjusted for height or you will blind other drivers. As for the headlights. You should be able to throw em right in and be fine. I've never had anyone flash their lights at me because their height is correct. As for offroad. I removed my light bar I had. If you use the high beams it's better then the avg light bar. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also...the Alla lights are guaranteed for 1 yr or 35k hrs. They are waterproof, have cooling fans , and made in USA. I love them! I will never use halogen bulbs again. Sorry I didn't take a pic with the headlights with LEDs installed. The fogs I put in like 5 months ago. I only installed the headlight for use of high beams. Headlights alone with LEDs will definitely give your clear view at night. You just need to choose a led. Like I said..mine were like 50 bucks for dual high/low beam. Go ahead and pay $150 plus if you want. Every one on these forums have an option and there all experts. Do some research, look at reviews and make your own decisions. I'm just telling you what worked for me. My only issue with these LEDs is they put static in my CB. I can send and receive fine but alot of ambient static. So if you don't have a Cb or ham radio I can't find a think wrong with the ALLA lights I installed.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
Hi!

Thanks!
1. Change the bulb to Katana LEDs (or similar)
2. See #1
3. Rigid Industries SAE fog lamps, replace your stock fog lamps with these and aim the properly. Aside from that, a true full projector retrofit is the $$$$$ option (not eBay projector replacement headlamps, those all suck).

No bashing required, the fact is that you are 100% wrong in your generalization of "all led conversions".
Read here, learn something: https://www.clubfrontier.org/threads/gotta-admit-i-was-wrong-about-led-headlamp-bubs.351579/
Then read here, and learn more: https://keira.projectraine.com/home/katana-led-headlamp-bulb-upgrade/

Nice try deleting your original post :cool:

Rigid Industries fog lamps, you will not be disappointed.
(y)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I went with an aftermarket HID conversion/replacements from Hidprojectors.com, they work great. Excellent clear bright light with a very good cutoff. Plus they look great on the Truck. There aren't any cheap options for a complete retrofit for 09 and up. Your looking at about $800
for new hid headlights. Then you need to install them. Not tough, but takes about 2-1/2 hrs. Mine are also painted black inside.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I went with Lasfit LEDs (on ebay) and replaced every light with them. Great Company and they have a "make offer" section on their products. The headlights and Fogs both have ball bearing fans that keep them cool. The headlight were $54 and the Fogs were $44 with free shipping. Even with my blackout headlights they're supper bright.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts