Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve had my frontier in 3 times, soon to be 4 for a belt chirp/squeal that keeps coming back every 3k miles or so. Last time I was there the guy mentioned it would probably happen again. The belt has been swapped every time and the tensioner once.I opened a case with Nissan so I have record of it but wanted to see if anyone knew of the issue?

edit: So the dealership finally acknowledged that this issue isn’t uncommon on the 2.5 and they don’t know the fix. They’re waiting to hear back from Nissan to see what they know, not sure how this is gonna play out but somewhat relieved that it’s not being brushed under the rug.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well I have a '16 Pro4x and about to go in to get my belt changed as well... it only makes noise when its cold outside and first start.... if its warm outside or gets to running temp... it doesn't happen...
BUT i also go up to tahoe a lot during all times of the year which is EXTREMELY dry... so i kinda figured for 4 years changing the belt isn't that big of a deal... but 3xs?!?! that is an eye brow raiser for sure!

Let us know what's the outcome!

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
I am no expert, but will tell you what happened to me. My 15 Titan had a squeaky belt... found out my belt tensioner had a bad bearing causing the belt to not run true. If a pulley is even slightly off it may cause the belt to move just slightly left and right causing the noise, even on a ribbed belt.

One trick I did was I sprayed 303 on the belt. It would last about a month, then would have to re spray it. It helped if you are just tired of hearing the noise.

Have your pulley's inspected. Might help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had my frontier in 3 times, soon to be 4 for a belt chirp/squeal that keeps coming back every 3k miles or so. Last time I was there the guy mentioned it would probably happen again. The belt has been swapped every time and the tensioner once.I opened a case with Nissan so I have record of it but wanted to see if anyone knew of the issue?

Not sure if it's the same issue... or same engine...but here's what I experienced in a similar scenario on my 06 4cyl frontier.

So burned through multiple belts, in and out of the shop every other month. Warrantied a bunch of belts (my autotech is cool). Finally he figured out what was going down...

The AC pulley had gone and got itself out of whack by a ****ing millimeter or so. Therefore the belt would rub on the pulley and the belt would make noise.

He finally found some info on that same issue with his autotech group.

Basically had to do some crazy mathematics and 3D measuring... trigonometry style... to get the AC pulley back where it belongs.

A millimeter from where it was...

Crazy fix. Dealership wanted well over a $1000 and they didn't even know what it was.
My tech kept it under $300 and I haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Goodyear Gatorback belts and hoses are now branded Continental Elite.
I would suggest trying that brand before blowing out your blood pressure.
Clean all pulleys thoroughly with brake cleaner while changing the belt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts