Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Funny, and they also slam the Dodge Journey for being around since 2008.
My girlfriend and I test drove the journey last month. It comes with a 4 speed automatic.... 4. Speed.

Yep.

Also, fuel economy equal to my truck, so that's great. Dodge needs to get their **** together.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Last Toyota I had was 31 yrs ago. A new 1986 Toyota 4x4 5 speed. It had manual/locking hubs and it was their 1st yr with IFS. I can say that was one tough 4x4. Beat the heck out of it and handed it down. It was head and shoulders better than my previous truck a 1983 1/2 Datsun/Nissan 720. Yes 1983 1/2 they were transitioning from Datsun to Nissan.

Fast forward to 2015 decided to get back into a smaller truck. With my previous experience I was inclined to get another Toyota. After due diligence I went with a new Frontier. More bang for my buck. It appears that to me Toyota was overpriced and they're riding on their name. It appeared that people that owned them were not as happy as they once were. So far not regretting the decision.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The massive Recall Over Rear Differentials isn't going to help that assessment.

Many of the owners over on TW are taking their trucks in for routine maintenance and being told they have to leave their vehicle due to it being "unsafe" to continue driving.

One owner had their differential seize up on the highway, almost causing an accident, and all of the White Knights on that site basically branded him a liar and a troll.

The redesigned Tacoma appears quite problematic.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
From best-selling small pickup for decades, to 6th worst vehicle of any kind you can buy at any price - That's one hell of a fall from grace!

·
Registered
256 Posts
The lead engineer for the 3rd generation Tacoma came from Chrysler (Mike Sweers)

I won't comment any further.

Though that comment does indeed weigh in my decision between a new Frontier and a new Wrangler :crikey:

If I decide to get the Wrangler, I've already convinced myself to get the lifetime powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I almost had a 2016 tacoma. luckily I was able to return it within 5 days. Shuttered when slowing down, horrible transmission tuning, and a torque curve that would have felt more at home in a corolla. It was actually a vehicle I did little research on before jumping on because of the "reputation". boy was I wrong. Worse yet was local toyota dealer not even acknowledging the TSBs out there for my VIN (which I printed out and verified). If they would have said "sure we'll fix all of those issues per the TSB" I might even still have a Tacoma...

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
The lead engineer for the 3rd generation Tacoma came from Chrysler (Mike Sweers)

I won't comment any further.

Though that comment does indeed weigh in my decision between a new Frontier and a new Wrangler :crikey:

If I decide to get the Wrangler, I've already convinced myself to get the lifetime powertrain warranty.
personally, the only reasons to have a jeep is the wheelbase (which if you get a 4door an xTerra can match it, shame they discontinued them) popularity of aftermarket, popularity in general (over a dozen jeep/jeep only clubs in N.E. and if you show up with a non Wrangler or particularly a non-jeep you get baleful stares to outright run out on a rail)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll be honest. I was working deals on both a 2016 Frontier SV4x4 and a 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport. The Tacoma was a manual (rare, and what I wanted), quicksand color, sexy stance and aesthetics, and sleek interior. I was obviously familiar with their reputation and they had great resale value. I'd never owned a Nissan but was quickly impressed with the Frontier's ruggedness and handling. For the same features in the Tacoma, I found the Frontier to be priced about $5000 less. Extremely happy that I went with the Fronty; especially after I became aware of the Tacoma's rear diff issues.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
To put it in perspective, a few vehicles that weren't crappy enough to make the list:

Kia Rio
VW New Beetle
Mitsubishi Lancer
Nissan Versa
Ford Fiesta
Mazda 2
Dodge Durango
Hyundai Accent
Toyota Yaris
Dodge Grand Caravan
Chevy Sonic

·
Registered
15 Posts
The massive Recall Over Rear Differentials isn't going to help that assessment.

Many of the owners over on TW are taking their trucks in for routine maintenance and being told they have to leave their vehicle due to it being "unsafe" to continue driving.

One owner had their differential seize up on the highway, almost causing an accident, and all of the White Knights on that site basically branded him a liar and a troll.

The redesigned Tacoma appears quite problematic.
I just traded in a 2008 Tundra with 92,500 miles on it mainly b/c both the front and rear differentials were shot. The cost to repair was astronomical. I'm still a little bitter at Toyota for under engineering the Tundra in terms of the guts. It's clearly Toyota Truck issue with differentials - Tundra and Tacoma.

I'm now in a sporty 2017 Frontier CC Pro4x - 6 speed manual and lovin' it. It's a relief to be back in a true mid-sized truck that speeds around. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
501 Posts
To put it in perspective, a few vehicles that weren't crappy enough to make the list:

Kia Rio
VW New Beetle
Mitsubishi Lancer
Nissan Versa
Ford Fiesta
Mazda 2
Dodge Durango
Hyundai Accent

What's up with versa?
We "were" planning on buying our daughter one within the next couple years.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Don't know why anybody wants to rag on the Versa. Those I know that own one have had no problems. It's inexpensive, so it's got a small engine and lacks some amenities and refinements, but the manual version is actually fun to drive.

Not sure why the Kia Rio should be on that list, either. Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Accent . . . cheap cars but that's no reason to say they are bad.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I came here from a versa. Bought it brand new in 2009 for $11k. It was a 1.6 5spd model with AC and ABS. Sold it running with 205k miles on it and didn't do any maintenance other than oil changes, air filters, belt once, and front brakes once. Never got under 34mpgs too. The tranny did explode after I got rid of it I found out. So you might want to change the gear oil at least once before 210k miles LOL.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Kia Rio
VW New Beetle
Mitsubishi Lancer
Nissan Versa
Ford Fiesta
Mazda 2
Dodge Durango
Hyundai Accent
Toyota Yaris
Dodge Grand Caravan
Chevy Sonic
And the Caddy!:surprise:
I'd have one of those bad boys in a heartbeat!
420 hp and 0-60 in under 6 seconds with all that comfort! No wonder it made the list!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts