Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Well, that was cool - it took my half completed abandoned post from yesterday and added to my post today. Thus, covering the same ground twice. Ooops, now if we could do that with our trucks, maybe we could double our mpg? :)

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
"Window sticker showed 19/23 gas mileage." Hmm, that sounds like the window sticker for a Frontier S, 2.5 lire I4, 2WD, base model narrow 235/75-15 tires, perhaps even standard transmission, weighing in at roughly 3750 lbs. Maybe the dealer was a little sticker sly. Highway wise the I4 really is not more fuel efficient than the V6 but the added weight of bigger engine, 4WD, crew cab, regular width tires can make quite an impact. Would be pretty easy to look up the actual EPA rating for the OPs truck.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Checked out EPA for OP's truck: window sticker should be 15/21 for real gasoline and 11/15 for E-85. I think the dealer pulled a little sticker-shock on your truck, as 19/23 is the EPA rating for a 2017 Frontier S 2.5 I4 2WD manual transmission, not an SV 4x4 [which would have to be the 4 lire V6].

There are a lot of great things about the Frontier, but fuel efficiency isn't one of them.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Looks like the OP has had enough of this banter and has checked out. It's just us chickens left to cluck about MPGs.

I never get good MPG in the winter. Been averaging less than 16mpg per tank. No long commute, winter blend, cold start...

MY on-board MPG computer is pretty accurate. Typically within 0.1 of hand calculations. This last tank I bought gas up on the summit, and by the time I got home 2K' lower I was at 22.5MPG. After yesterdays driving around town I am at 19.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Looks like the OP has had enough of this banter and has checked out. It's just us chickens left to cluck about MPGs.

I never get good MPG in the winter. Been averaging less than 16mpg per tank. No long commute, winter blend, cold start...

MY on-board MPG computer is pretty accurate. Typically within 0.1 of hand calculations. This last tank I bought gas up on the summit, and by the time I got home 2K' lower I was at 22.5MPG. After yesterdays driving around town I am at 19.
same! after driving 70-75mph for years and now doing it at 65mph at around 2k rpm's..... i went from 15-16mpg to 20-21.8mpg..... and with a 2.5 hour trip to tahoe.... i only get there 10-15mins faster.... which isn't really worth it..... just my .02

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
299 Posts
same! after driving 70-75mph for years and now doing it at 65mph at around 2k rpm's..... i went from 15-16mpg to 20-21.8mpg..... and with a 2.5 hour trip to tahoe.... i only get there 10-15mins faster.... which isn't really worth it..... just my .02
It really sucked when I was down in WV and the speed limit was 75. Semi trucks were running 80-85… cars and motorcycles 85 and up. We set the cruise at 80 and we were the slowest thing on the road. Literally watching the fuel gauge drop. 🤬

Reactions: MPETE

·
Registered
986 Posts
It really sucked when I was down in WV and the speed limit was 75. Semi trucks were running 80-85… cars and motorcycles 85 and up. We set the cruise at 80 and we were the slowest thing on the road. Literally watching the fuel gauge drop. 🤬
Member @rlholland somewhat regularly drives across west Texas where the speed limit is 80 on parts of I-10 and I-20. I have to make that trip eventually. I hope I don't get nerfed for going 70!

Reactions: Nissan4Life

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
I80 between Reno and Salt Lake is 80 mph for a lot of it. I typically go between 5-10 mph over the speed limit. Couldn't muster the nerve to go a sustained 90mph. That is just too reckless, loud and shaky. I recall getting about 15 mpg going a sustained 85. Speed up grandpa.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
dislike ya doing 80 in our trucks..... you can feel that it doesn't like it

·
Registered
986 Posts
dislike ya doing 80 in our trucks..... you can feel that it doesn't like it
I sometimes get a weird vibration doing 80mph or faster. I thought it was something with the driveline but neither me nor two dealerships found anything wrong. I chalk it up to buffeting of the camper shell/topper at those speeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run general grabbers and get better gas milage than you. I have k&n filter and change oil when milage goes in the crapper. 2017 4 door SV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure any of this helps but...my 2 pennies...I have been pretty religious about trying to get better gas mileage. I have 2018 Pro4x with 22k when I bought it, now around 36k miles, and I notice worse mileage right after an oil change and then progressively better after about 250 miles or so on new oil. I use Amsoil 5/30 synthetic and Walmart K&N filters, change every 7500-8500 miles. My average right after oil change is 16-16.5mpg, and 17.5-18 after the oil wears in for a couple hundred miles. I also notice that the warmup/startup seems be kind long and high rpm/idle, which wastes gas. So, the anecdotal info to me says these trucks have a lot of internal friction, and the shift points on the transmission are sometimes lugging/low RPM, but it makes sense for a truck. (As info, I also change my trans and all diff/transfer case fluids every 35k miles. Just did the first go round a couple weeks ago, along with oil. I'm in CA and always run quality 91 - Chevron/Shell usually, sometimes Valero/76). After fluids change I am now trying to get back to 18mpg again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a 2018 4.0L 2WD a month ago, first few tanks were 15.3, 15.4. I bought a device advertised on FB that plugs into the OBD II port. The last 2 tanks were 16.2 and 16.4 this is all in town driving. The power has increased and so far the mpg has increased, I bought it primarily for the increase in power as we are going to buy a small travel trailer and pull that. I was wondering if it was going to be snake oil but so far it seems to be helping. I knew when I bought the truck it wasn’t going to get good mpg because of the 5 spd automatic. The new 2020 model with the 9 speed gets better because the transmission can keep the engine closer to its power band, the closer you can keep the RPM in the torque curve the better mpg and performance. I guess if a person was to get lucky and had the skill to install a 9 spd out of a wrecked 2020 and change all the computers over to accept all the stuff that runs the transmission, but then again why not just go buy a new truck or learn to accept what you got.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought an off-lease 2017 Frontier SV with about 23K miles on it. Window sticker showed 19/23 gas mileage. I figured that was high but 16/20 would have been acceptable. I travel 45 miles each way, 90% highway, Monday - Friday. I am lucky if I get 13MPG highway. And what's ironic, is the mileage is MUCH better when I am moving around the city. It jumps up to about 16MPG.

Because of this I have to fill up every other morning. I am unfortunately regretting this purchase. I never expected mileage to be this bad. And just for the record I have

1. Good tires, filled to recommended PSI
2. Air tight cover on tailgate to reduce drag
3. I am NOT locked on 4WD
4. I do NOT have a lead foot
5. Air filter is good

One more thing. This thing has a 21 Gallon tank? I notice once the light comes on, even if I drive it until the line is basically lined up with the E and I fill it up I never fill up more than 16 gallons. So even with the line on EMPTY this thing still has 5 gallons of reserve??

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in Advance.
I live in NJ also and notice a drastic decrease in mileage during winter months. From 18 mpg around town to around 15 mpg . I was told by a mechanic friend of mine it's because of the higher ethanol blend used for winter . Once it warms up you should see your mileage go back to normal.

·
Registered
2006 Nissan frontier NISMO King Cab
1 Posts
Bought an off-lease 2017 Frontier SV with about 23K miles on it. Window sticker showed 19/23 gas mileage. I figured that was high but 16/20 would have been acceptable. I travel 45 miles each way, 90% highway, Monday - Friday. I am lucky if I get 13MPG highway. And what's ironic, is the mileage is MUCH better when I am moving around the city. It jumps up to about 16MPG.

Because of this I have to fill up every other morning. I am unfortunately regretting this purchase. I never expected mileage to be this bad. And just for the record I have

5. Air filter is good

One more thing. This thing has a 21 Gallon tank? I notice once the light comes on, even if I drive it until the line is basically lined up with the E and I fill it up I never fill up more than 16 gallons. So even with the line on EMPTY this thing still has 5 gallons of reserve??

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in Advance.
I own a 2006 Frontier NISMO, 4.0 V6, and get about 18 mpg on the highway. Disappointed with the mileage, but I knew that going in. It’s an off road truck (not 4x4), just replaced all the cats, primary and secondary, o2 sensors, air filter etc. that’s about as good as it’s going to get.

·
Registered
2005 Frontier, 4l, 6 speed crew cab, 4WD
40 Posts

5. Air filter is good

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in Advance.
Is it an automatic transmission? I have a 6 speed and find if I keep the engine rpms under 2000, I can get 18 in the city and approach 25 highway. The engine really starts waking up at or above 3000 rpms. Also I use regular (87 octane) gas always. The milage stays above 20 even pulling a camper (and I do have a cap installed). To re-iterate - keep the rpms down... It can be quite a challenge because the engine sounds great...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a 2018 4.0L 2WD a month ago, first few tanks were 15.3, 15.4. I bought a device advertised on FB that plugs into the OBD II port. The last 2 tanks were 16.2 and 16.4 this is all in town driving. The power has increased and so far the mpg has increased, I bought it primarily for the increase in power as we are going to buy a small travel trailer and pull that. I was wondering if it was going to be snake oil but so far it seems to be helping. I knew when I bought the truck it wasn’t going to get good mpg because of the 5 spd automatic. The new 2020 model with the 9 speed gets better because the transmission can keep the engine closer to its power band, the closer you can keep the RPM in the torque curve the better mpg and performance. I guess if a person was to get lucky and had the skill to install a 9 spd out of a wrecked 2020 and change all the computers over to accept all the stuff that runs the transmission, but then again why not just go buy a new truck or learn to accept what you got.
As P.S. a wise man once told me the sole of the shoe on the right foot is the greatest fuel economy device ever invented, if you’re on level road the cruise control is great but if there is any kind of hills or traffic where it’s on and off they’ll kill mpg.

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
265 Posts
As P.S. a wise man once told me the sole of the shoe on the right foot is the greatest fuel economy device ever invented, if you’re on level road the cruise control is great but if there is any kind of hills or traffic where it’s on and off they’ll kill mpg.
To go along with what you said. An interesting read on the most fuel efficient gas engine ever conceived!
The hit and miss engine!
Sadly they were not popular( Gee I wonder why?).Hit-and-miss engine - Wikipedia

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm in Commifornia and most gasoline has 10% Ethanol. On my 2010 I got between 20 and 23 MPG, but it was all freeway, plus I was running on +2 (20" wheels with 275/55r20 tires) with a tire pressure of 40PSI. The truck was a 2010 4x2 King Cab LE. The current truck is hovering around 20MPG. I think just the presence of the extra mechanicals and weight associated with having a 4x4 is going to cut into your mileage, especially if you're cruising along at 80 on the freeway.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts