Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Consider using always using a top tier gas station. I only use Shell or Phillips 66, at 136k, my life of vehicle MPG is about 15.6, which is decent considering it spent most of its life doing Uber/Lyft. I'm also lifted and lightly tuned. Since you're at low altitude, consider bumping to mid-range gas, you'll pay more, but you might get a mpg boost, this in addition to the other suggestions.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
155 Posts
You have no idea how poorly people will treat their vehicles. If the previous owner used sh it oil and sh it gas and more than likely ran it hard as well, you'll find evidence of it.

Don't expect a miracle though, these trucks have a drinking problem. Best we can do is get them to guzzle less. Good luck!
This a thousand times yes. If someone leased the "cheapest truck on the market" nothing against doing that or the trucks, but that tells me they aren't interested in owing the truck, they are just borrowing it for their immediate needs.

I used to have to loan out equipment and crap at college, the Vacuums that everyone had to use never, and I mean NEVER were maintained, or even emptied. Why? because they just needed it to work for their moment of using it.

If you said it was a fleet vehicle I would of known it was at least maintained to an average degree, leased is at best below average in the maintenance department. People fall through on their lease all the time because of not keeping up with the maintenance, or going over their annual mile limits.

Check what Iffin'aintbroke mentioned yourself of have a buddy or mechanic you trust give the truck a good look over. Even better if you know a mechanic that owns a Frontier with a similar engine and can look at the live data to compare to their truck. That would help identify areas of further inspection without wasting too much additional time.

An easy way to tell if your engine needs maintenance, besides checking the dip stick, unscrew the oil fill plug for the engine and see if there is an unusual amount of oil residue buildup. That could be a sign that maintenance was not done properly. Also if it has a strong gasoline smell there should be a slight smell of it but it shouldn't be overwhelming.

I had a family member who ended up getting scammed buying a used toyota as is, it had less than 40,000 miles and was a prior lease. Engine was totaled(bad harmonic balancer/ never changed oil), the stealership had just done what little they needed to to hide the damage long enough for the next sucker in line to purchase it.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV 4x4 CrewCab
6 Posts
I bought a new 2019 last may. 4x4 4.0 sv crewcab S/B auto trans. Its jan 2021 now. Its appalling how bad the mileage is. Avg 12.5 city but between 16,17,18 hwy lightly loaded. Oh well!

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
you are calculating your gas mileage by hand correct?
This is question #1 for sure.

Bought an off-lease 2017 Frontier SV with about 23K miles on it. Window sticker showed 19/23 gas mileage. I figured that was high but 16/20 would have been acceptable. I travel 45 miles each way, 90% highway, Monday - Friday. I am lucky if I get 13MPG highway. And what's ironic, is the mileage is MUCH better when I am moving around the city. It jumps up to about 16MPG.

Because of this I have to fill up every other morning. I am unfortunately regretting this purchase. I never expected mileage to be this bad. And just for the record I have

1. Good tires, filled to recommended PSI
2. Air tight cover on tailgate to reduce drag
3. I am NOT locked on 4WD
4. I do NOT have a lead foot
5. Air filter is good

One more thing. This thing has a 21 Gallon tank? I notice once the light comes on, even if I drive it until the line is basically lined up with the E and I fill it up I never fill up more than 16 gallons. So even with the line on EMPTY this thing still has 5 gallons of reserve??

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in Advance.
You don't have to have a lead foot to kill MPG, what's your average/high speed during your commute? Speed matters.

Also when you say "fill up every other morning" by your numbers you're saying you're going to the gas station every 180 miles or so? Is your fuel warning light even on at this point?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Hand calculation of mpg is essential for sure. Other thing as previously noted is highway speed. Each 10 km/h of extra speed on a truck impacts highway mileage rather dramatically - whereas barely noticeable on an aerodynamic true car [eg not an SUV or CUV].

My 4 cylinder 2013 Frontier gets 15 to 17 mpg on an Imperial gallon [4.55 litres], 22 mpg at 110 km/h highway, 26 mpg at 90 km/h, 28 mpg at 80 km/h. It loves driving on country highways. It really loves cruise and cruise works really well on the Frontier S I4. If I were to drive it at 120 or 130 km/h I'm sure it would get worse mileage on the highway than around town, even though my City driving involves loads of traffic lights, four way stops and round-a-bouts.

Fuel economy differences between the I4 and the V6 are very little, especially with a light foot. The I4 has to rev quite a bit higher on the highway - lots more auto gear changes for hills plus the rear axles ratio.

The one area where the I4 does save money is in bumper to bumper traffic when you move one or two car lengths for each cycle of the traffic light. The 2.5 litre I4 does use a bit less gas idling and creeping than the 4.0 litre V6.

And yes, winter gas will make mileage suffer. And synthetic oil helps mileage especially in winter.

OP, in all likelihood your truck is just fine. But if you have access to a truly trustworthy honest mechanic, a check over might be a good idea.

Reactions: woodtemple

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
And, re-reading the posts check your oil level regularly [weekly] for level, colour, smell. I always rub between my fingers [then wipe and wash my hand asap after]. Dark oil, gasy smelling oil etc. all can point to neglect, or in your case the possibility of past neglect. Worst is the smell of antifreeze - that sickly sweet smell. If your oil smells good, starts off looking clear to honey, and only is a little brown when you change the oil, that is all good news.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro4x AT
160 Posts
In addition to what others have mentioned, I would also change the diff fluid. My mileage has increased about 1 mpg after changing mine at 25k miles. My rear had gotten THICC from dirt getting in through the stock breather valve. Is this an auto or manual? If a manual, well... If an auto, is O/D on and working? Also, check the tranny dipstick to see if it's still pink. If not, I'd change it and the t-case to have as little parasitic loss as possible. Unless this is an I4, the dealership lied about mpg if they stated 19/23. After having owned a number of used turds, I will never buy used again unless it's a CPO or a dedicated project vehicle.

Reactions: PhilFrontier

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is question #1 for sure.

You don't have to have a lead foot to kill MPG, what's your average/high speed during your commute? Speed matters.

Also when you say "fill up every other morning" by your numbers you're saying you're going to the gas station every 180 miles or so? Is your fuel warning light even on at this point?
Check your math Raine. The way he states it, he is filling up everyday having only traveled 90 miles (45 miles each way daily = 90 miles) so Something is off here in his explanation.

Further investigation is warranted!!!

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Check your math Raine. The way he states it, he is filling up everyday having only traveled 90 miles (45 miles each way daily = 90 miles) so Something is off here in his explanation.

Further investigation is warranted!!!
Brigg, read carefully.
He is filling up every OTHER day. 90 x 2 = 180 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,037 Posts
Bought an off-lease 2017 Frontier SV with about 23K miles on it. Window sticker showed 19/23 gas mileage. I figured that was high but 16/20 would have been acceptable. I travel 45 miles each way, 90% highway, Monday - Friday. I am lucky if I get 13MPG highway. And what's ironic, is the mileage is MUCH better when I am moving around the city. It jumps up to about 16MPG.

Because of this I have to fill up every other morning. I am unfortunately regretting this purchase. I never expected mileage to be this bad. And just for the record I have

1. Good tires, filled to recommended PSI
2. Air tight cover on tailgate to reduce drag
3. I am NOT locked on 4WD
4. I do NOT have a lead foot
5. Air filter is good

One more thing. This thing has a 21 Gallon tank? I notice once the light comes on, even if I drive it until the line is basically lined up with the E and I fill it up I never fill up more than 16 gallons. So even with the line on EMPTY this thing still has 5 gallons of reserve??

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in Advance.
What is this? (above in red)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
JDR30, what are your rpm's at 65 mph?
My 2017 SV Crew runs about 2000 rpm.
If yours is faster, it's not upshifting properly.
My mileage drops sharply above 2250 rpm, at any speed.

I still think you have a battery power problem. Especially the positive battery terminal.
Cars/Trucks these days have sensors that run on micro-volts. You must have good clean power or expect the strangest of problems to develop.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Brigg, read carefully.
I'd say the OPs typical highway speed will identify whether he is getting normal mileage or something is very wrong. Being a commute, its certainly possible that he isn't going 65 mph. Mileage will be crazy in most pickup trucks over that speed as aerodynamics or lack thereof really takes a bite.

Reactions: bagwell

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I'd say the OPs typical highway speed will identify whether he is getting normal mileage or something is very wrong. Being a commute, its certainly possible that he isn't going 65 mph. Mileage will be crazy in most pickup trucks over that speed as aerodynamics or lack thereof really takes a bite.
Yes.
But he said 45 miles of which 90% is highway. I would not take that to mean stop and go highway, and if he drove 80-90mph he would still get 17-18 mpg.

Also, I'm not implying he is driving 65mph. Just trying to determine if the vehicle is in overdrive at 65 mph. Because if it's 3000 rpm at 65mph, he has isolated the problem

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
Check your math Raine.
:unsure:

Brigg, read carefully.
(y)

Because of this I have to fill up every other morning.
:cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Come on Raine....................FORGIVE ME....I SCREWED UP! Thanks for being a good sport about it. I do need to read slower and more precise!

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
Come on Raine....................FORGIVE ME....I SCREWED UP! Thanks for being a good sport about it. I do need to read slower and more precise!
Haha... Thanks for being a good sport too, and not getting all defensive like some others do when they realize they're wrong LOLOL :D

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Yes.
But he said 45 miles of which 90% is highway. I would not take that to mean stop and go highway, and if he drove 80-90mph he would still get 17-18 mpg.

Also, I'm not implying he is driving 65mph. Just trying to determine if the vehicle is in overdrive at 65 mph. Because if it's 3000 rpm at 65mph, he has isolated the problem
Yes, I'm not sure there is such a thing as stop and go highway driving. I'd call that City driving, even if it is on say an arterial bypass highway. My commute technically is on a 4 lane highway, but it has intersections, traffic lights, a couple ramps. I consider that city.

If you can get 17-18 mpg at 80 to 90 mph I'm impressed. Maybe if really flat, no curves, cruise, throw in a tailwind. Or maybe really fuel efficient tires, truck lowered, who knows.

But for most of us,
Yes.

I'm going to ramble here.

True. There are so many variables. I always associate highway driving with hills, sometimes steep ones, based on the part of the world in which I live. Where you are going along up a fairly steep hill on a 4 lane divided highway, speed limit 110 km/h, most traffic doing 120 km/h. Then, as you go down the hill, there is a curve. Takes some pretty high revs to go up a steep hill at 120. And, a decent chance there is an RCMP cruiser on the downside of the hill lingering in one of the emergency vehicle crossovers. So forget making up your fuel economy by coasting down the hill at 135 or 140.

RE stop and go highways - I don't consider "highways" with traffic lights, round-a-bouts etc. [e.g. commuter highways, arterial bypass highways etc.] to be highways for fuel measurement purposes. They are just wide, boulevard style multilane city streets either within a city or connecting a city with its bedroom towns. Most of my Stratford to Charlottetown commute is on that type of highway, with the speed limited now to limited to 50 km/h on the Hillsborough Bridge, [which has been down to 3 lanes, and narrowed too, with jersey barriers and cones everywhere now for over a year with never ending construction, first to put in a sewer pipe system beside and slung under the bridge, and now putting in an active transportation corridor [aka a walled, giant sidewalk for pedestrians, bicycles, scooters etc.]] and the speed limit 70 km/h elsewhere on that "highway" although most people follow the rule of 10 in good weather/daytime, e.g. 10 km/h over a speed limit of 70 or more.

If someone is at 3000 rpm at 65 mph on the flat, overdrive button NOT disabled, there is a definite problem. With those conditions, the V6 should be roughly 2000 rpm, the I4 roughly 2500.

Speaking of those cones, last year I had the pleasure of running over one of those cones that blew in the wind a few inches to the side and then over on its side. Such a satisfying -crack- as Goodyear Duratrac crushed orange plastic :)

21 - 40 of 68 Posts