Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2017 Nissan Frontier SV a few months ago and am trying to put a thin led light strip at the tailgate to get some added light when backing up. It has turn signals, running light, brake light and reverse light.

I am trying to connect to the wires behind the 7 wire trailer connection but am having difficulty determining which wire is tied to which terminal as the plugs do a dog leg prior to connecting to the plug.

My goal is to connect the wires to the back side of the plug directly to the wires without having to take apart the plug that is welded to the truck and potentially screwing everything up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The light strip is extremely inexpensive so if doesn’t work the way that I want it to I will at know what wires go to each function and can swap out the the strip with another fixture if needed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am trying to connect to the wires behind the 7 wire trailer connection but am having difficulty determining which wire is tied to which terminal as the plugs do a dog leg prior to connecting to the plug.

My goal is to connect the wires to the back side of the plug directly to the wires without having to take apart the plug that is welded to the truck and potentially screwing everything up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You should be able to figure this out with a digital multimeter, (use the Continuity Tester function on the multimeter), & IF your 7 wire trailer connector has the waterproof lift up flap showing what each connector function does. My 2019 trailer connection has the information printed out on the waterproof lift up flap.
Rectangle Grey Font Pattern Handwriting

Disconnect the trailer wiring subharness at the connector plug behind the bumper / subframe area & use your Continuity Tester to figure out what colored wire goes with what connection pin. Should be easy to do if your familiar with a continuity tester.

Anyhow, hope this helps....

Reactions: RichMac

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You should be able to figure this out with a digital multimeter, (use the Continuity Tester function on the multimeter), & IF your 7 wire trailer connector has the waterproof lift up flap showing what each connector function does. My 2019 trailer connection has the information printed out on the waterproof lift up flap.
View attachment 337889

Disconnect the trailer wiring subharness at the connector plug behind the bumper / subframe area & use your Continuity Tester to figure out what colored wire goes with what connection pin. Should be easy to do if your familiar with a continuity tester.

Anyhow, hope this helps....
That is the way to do it. Just in case you got the one built on a Monday and they put the wrong color wires in, but got them in the correct spots. Verify the trace, you know it is right. Not that someone on the internet says it is the green wire when they happen to be color blind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts