Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2017 Frontier V6, Engine Races at Startup

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Mad_Jasper 
#1 ·
When I start my truck the engine races as soon as I turn the ignition on. That bothers me because I’m afraid the oil hasn’t gotten a chance to circulate and lubricate the cylinders properly. After about 10 seconds the rpms lower and the engine quiets down. I recently purchased
the truck so I’m not familiar with this engine. Any input would be appreciated.

#15 · (Edited)
Nothing I’ve ever owned has started up with this high of RPMs.
Older carbureted engines would use a temperature sensitive spring to move a cam on which the idle screw bottomed. As the ambient temperature dropped, the idle screw would get bumped up a step, significantly increasing cold idle speed. You can imagine bumping open the throttle plate by the size of these steps. Cars would easily hit 2000+ RPM, ice cold on startup. This part fits a Holley 4150, so it was on a large V-8. Just for scale, this part is probably 1-1/2" across

#6 ·
It’s purpose is to get the catalytic converters to operating temperature quickly.

Clint

#13 ·
Like others have said, normal. Sounds worse than it is because of the fan at first. Here in the frozen north, mine will generally shoot up to 1500 as I watch the oil pressure almost top out my 100# gauge.

In contrast, my GF's Honda Civic cold starts around 800R's and will ramp up from there. It may be psychological, but I like that a lot better.

#18 ·
When you could adjust chokes and heaters it was not too bad. The heaters that worked off the engine warmth took the longest to kick down, the electric ones were better until they made then non-adjustable. Most of the time I would just rip the whole set-up off and replace it with a cable. As some may know, there were choke cables readily available so you could have a adjustment knob in or under the dash. Pump it twice, pull the choke and start er' up.

#24 ·
Yup...2,000-2,200 for a second and the slows down. My old 2003 F150 did something similar...I guess I got used to it.

#27 ·
It's common with the 4.0L. But, but it became more extreme shortly before one of the cam positions sensors failed (115-120K miles or so) in my 2011 Xterra. It went from revving to sputtering and shutting off. A restart would usually fix it until it didn't. A scan tool from an auto parts store would throw a code. Very simple fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.