Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, I purchased a used 2017 Pro-4X about a month ago and has been nothing but problems. The Nissan dealer i purchased it from will not stand behind the truck so I am on my own. The latest is the instrument cluster glass cracked when I closed the drivers door. Does any one know or have a video on how to gain access to the glass so I can replace it. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,931 Posts
What are the other issues or problems that you speak of....or mentioned but didn't speak of?

·
Super Moderator
11,520 Posts
The cluster has a plastic cover which should be a part that’s available separately. I cannot see how it can break the way you’re saying it did. A windshield can pop from pressure but the cluster plastic is odd.
What other issues are you experiencing?

Clint

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cluster screen cracked where the reset button is to reset the trip mileage. Where to start with the issues, I drove close to 4 hours to view the Frontier. After purchase and was not told there was on 1 key and fob and no fob for the remote start, a few days later the check engine light came on, vapor cannister was plugged solid. All 4 rear sensors are not working, trailer wiring harness is not working and held up with zip ties. Now you have to understand I did not see the truck with a rear bumper or hood on it. Because id been looking for 6+ months for a used frontier, I took a gamble and lost think this Nissan dealer was reputable.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
The cluster screen cracked where the reset button is to reset the trip mileage. Where to start with the issues, I drove close to 4 hours to view the Frontier. After purchase and was not told there was on 1 key and fob and no fob for the remote start, a few days later the check engine light came on, vapor cannister was plugged solid. All 4 rear sensors are not working, trailer wiring harness is not working and held up with zip ties. Now you have to understand I did not see the truck with a rear bumper or hood on it. Because id been looking for 6+ months for a used frontier, I took a gamble and lost think this Nissan dealer was reputable.
The cluster screen is probably Lexan plastic, a very pliable material. No slamming of doors can crack this plastic. However, it is possible that the through hole had a crack from the manufacturing process. This crack can extend causing what you see.

I suspect the selling dealer cleared the code for the vapor cannister. With the right scan tool, you can find out when this specific code was last cleared. If it happened when the truck was in the possession of the dealer, you were screwed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Check Youtube for the video on how to remove the instrument cluster.... just use the SEARCH function on Youtube at the top of the screen.

As for your part number for your plastic cluster screen...
Nissan 24813-EA405
Cover - Front Meter
2005-2019 Nissan 24813EA405

You can purchase it from here, or from any other website that offers it at a lower price than here...

Reactions: Zero Six LE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check Youtube for the video on how to remove the instrument cluster.... just use the SEARCH function on Youtube at the top of the screen.

As for your part number for your plastic cluster screen...
Nissan 24813-EA405
Cover - Front Meter
2005-2019 Nissan 24813EA405

You can purchase it from here, or from any other website that offers it at a lower price than here...
Thanks very much, appreciate it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Now you have to understand I did not see the truck with a rear bumper or hood on it. Because id been looking for 6+ months for a used frontier, I took a gamble and lost think this Nissan dealer was reputable.
Sounds like the truck had been wrecked? If so, that could open up a huge can of worms if the wiring harnesses were damaged.

If the dealer is not going to stand behind their sale, I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (or whatever is similar in Canada), as well as write a letter to the general manager of the dealership detailing the issues. He may not be aware of the shady stuff his crew is doing and may try to make things right to avoid any bad publicity.

Reactions: Clint

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like the truck had been wrecked? If so, that could open up a huge can of worms if the wiring harnesses were damaged.

If the dealer is not going to stand behind their sale, I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (or whatever is similar in Canada), as well as write a letter to the general manager of the dealership detailing the issues. He may not be aware of the shady stuff his crew is doing and may try to make things right to avoid any bad publicity.

Thanks everyone for your guidance. I have spoken to the GM of the Nissan store and has agreed to pay for the rear sensors replacement and labor but nothing else. I have had to get a replacement key cut and fob, replaced the vapor canister and valve which I should not have had to do as this should have been done by the dealer as it was deliberately had the code taken off prior to delivery.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks everyone for your guidance. I have spoken to the GM of the Nissan store and has agreed to pay for the rear sensors replacement and labor but nothing else. I have had to get a replacement key cut and fob, replaced the vapor canister and valve which I should not have had to do as this should have been done by the dealer as it was deliberately had the code taken off prior to delivery.
Well, I think you should be thankful they are helping out as much as they are. I assume you bought the truck "As-Is", so they could have wiped their hands clean of the issues you are having. Regardless though, it sucks to have these issues on a newly bought vehicle and I hope the problems stop popping up.

I'm sure they just gave you the keys that were given to them when they bought the vehicle. I don't think anything is normal or typical with respect to key quantity when buying used.

I hope that they did not deliberately reset the light to make all seem well, if so I would never return to this dealer. It could have been a coincidence that the issues came up right after buying it. Maybe the codes were reset before the dealer bought the vehicle, and they did not drive it enough to go through the drive cycles required turn the light back on. Idk, I'm just speculating here because it appears the true history of the truck prior to you buying it is unknown.

In the future, I would recommend bringing an OBD scanner with you when buying a vehicle. I have a Wifi dongle that connects to an app on my phone and takes about a minute to connect and check for codes. Also tells how many miles have been driven since the last reset and if the all the various drive cycles have been complete and all the sensors are "Ready".

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The cluster screen is probably Lexan plastic, a very pliable material. No slamming of doors can crack this plastic. However, it is possible that the through hole had a crack from the manufacturing process. This crack can extend causing what you see.

I suspect the selling dealer cleared the code for the vapor cannister. With the right scan tool, you can find out when this specific code was last cleared. If it happened when the truck was in the possession of the dealer, you were screwed.
If he can show the dealer cleared it. He can demand they fix it or file a lawsuit in small claims court. Chances are the selling dealer turned in a repair bill under warranty but obviously didn't fix it. As for him say "I filled it to the hilt" that will kill the canister pretty quick.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is one of the reasons I have a hard time buying used. There are a lot of dealerships that will intentionally hide known issues instead of fixing them. I spent almost ten years working for an auto auction, mostly doing pre-sale and post-sale inspections. The shady stuff we found was amazing, and they would screw over other dealers just as much as they would screw public buyers. New car stores (Nissan, Ford, etc. dealerships) generally had better used cars on their lot, and I didn't see as much of the unethical behavior but it still happened.

If you must buy used, try to stick with Certified Pre-Owned since they usually provide some kind of inspection sheet that shows things were "properly" inspected, and I think some provide a warranty as well. Having a reputable third-party inspect the vehicle is also a good idea if you're not capable of doing so yourself. While Carfax/AutoCheck can be helpful don't give it too much weight, as they rely on shops to report information for it to show up. If the shop doesn't send the info, major collisions and other issues will not show up on those reports. If you know what to look for you can usually tell if a vehicle has previous paint and body work - pay attention to color and texture differences between panels, dirt/debris in the paint, sanding scratches, overspray, etc. Also look for bolts for body panels (hood, fenders, door hinges) that show signs of being turned, and the "R-DOT" stickers on panels that indicate it has been replaced.

Sorry for the long post, I just have a big problem with unethical dealers (one of the big reasons I left the auction - the money and benefits were good, but I couldn't stand being associated with those kinds of people). Anything I can do to help people make a more informed decision and avoid getting screwed makes my day. :)

Reactions: Coupe1937

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I take it you had all these problems listed on the contract, and dealer signed off on contract.If not do you have some kind of a written warranty that would fix these items??. If not I don't see how your holding him responsible to repair. All items seem to come under 3-36 mo warranty which seems to likely be expired, maybe vapor canister can be covered under 8 year emmisions coverage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I take it you had all these problems listed on the contract, and dealer signed off on contract.If not do you have some kind of a written warranty that would fix these items??. If not I don't see how your holding him responsible to repair. All items seem to come under 3-36 mo warranty which seems to likely be expired, maybe vapor canister can be covered under 8 year emmisions coverage.
I did not buy it as is and did see the truck while at the shop for rear bumper and hood repaint. Carfax was clean. They couldn't find the one key they had, imagine that, so I didn't get inside or able to start it or test drive. I'm bad for not doing so but as I have said. Been looking for 6 months for a Frontier and got excited and bought when I should not have.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
I did not buy it as is and did see the truck while at the shop for rear bumper and hood repaint. Carfax was clean. They couldn't find the one key they had, imagine that, so I didn't get inside or able to start it or test drive. I'm bad for not doing so but as I have said. Been looking for 6 months for a Frontier and got excited and bought when I should not have.
I think that sums it up.

Sorry to hear you bought a problematic truck, but it is what it is: you took the gamble of buying a used vehicle without waiting for a test drive or a proper inspection due to impatience.
It doesn't matter if you have been looking for 6 months for a Frontier, that doesn't mean you just take the first one that's available.

Carfax isn't the end-all last word, the only issues you'd be able to see on a Carfax will be the issues reported.

There are ways to buy good, clean, reliable used vehicles. This isn't a "Frontier"-specific thing. As someone else above mentioned, buying "Certified" is a good piece of advice... buying a truck that you didn't test drive, that you only saw while it was having bodywork repaired (huge red flag there), not so good as you just found out.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,931 Posts
Personally, I have always preferred searching and buying from private party sellers, preferably the original owners.

I've never purchased a used vehicle from a car lot or dealership.

·
Super Moderator
11,520 Posts
How many miles on it? Isn’t there a federal emissions warranty? Might have covered the canister.

Clint

·
Registered
259 Posts
Personally, I have always preferred searching and buying from private party sellers, preferably the original owners.

I've never purchased a used vehicle from a car lot or dealership.
Same here. With one exception, I bought all my used vehicles from private party sellers. Most of the used vehicles I purchased were at least ten years old - most more than that - and were much simpler back then with less to worry about.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of dealers that pose as a private party to avoid licensing and taxes, not to mention private party sales have basically zero chance of any consequences for shady stuff - about the only thing you can go after a private party seller for is the title. I lost count of how many dealers I saw listing vehicles they bought at the auction as "private party." Some of them were even dumb enough to leave the auction decals on the windshield in the photos they put on their ads (I even saw one that used the photos the auction took...:rolleyes:).

The last used vehicle I bought was my '96 Cherokee, which I purchased in 2010. Working at the auction pretty much ruined used vehicles for me - private party or dealer - because I see everything wrong with them, and just can't trust the seller to be honest and ethical. Unless I'm buying something as a project it'll likely be new for me going forward.

Reactions: butterman2473
1 - 18 of 18 Posts