Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Frontier 4x4 for 3 months, the only off road has been in my yard, I have 5 acres, when pulling my utility trailer in my yard, I put the truck in 4x4 Lo, just to prevent spinning the tires in the grass. The last couple of times that I did this, I had trouble getting it out of 4x4 back in to 2x4. Has anyone had this situation and or, do you have to do anything special to get it out of 4x4?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's normal. I usually give a quick blip of the gas pedal after I move the switch to 2WD. If I do that, it will pop right out of 4. If I don't, it seems like the light would flash forever.
Thanks a bunch, I was hoping for that answer...

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Sea Bees are not located in Hallsville. Were you stationed at Port Hueneme ever?

So it shifts out of 4 low ok? Does it ever shift out of 4 hi back into 2wd. Some times it can take a while.

I find that if the tires are slightly different diameters it can not want to shift out of 4wd. And by different diameters I even something like a heavy load in the rear will cause it not to want to shift out of 4wd.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sea Bees are not located in Hallsville. Were you stationed at Port Hueneme ever?

So it shifts out of 4 low ok? Does it ever shift out of 4 hi back into 2wd. Some times it can take a while.

I find that if the tires are slightly different diameters it can not want to shift out of 4wd. And by different diameters I even something like a heavy load in the rear will cause it not to want to shift out of 4wd.
I was stationed at Port Hueneme from May of 1965 though December 1967, but was in Vietnam for two tours. When I got out of the Navy in July 1968, I lived in Ventura for 21 years, my two sons still live there, with my 6 grandkids

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I was stationed at Port Hueneme from May of 1965 though December 1967, but was in Vietnam for two tours. When I got out of the Navy in July 1968, I lived in Ventura for 21 years, my two sons still live there, with my 6 grandkids
Wonder if I know your Family. I grew up in Ventura. Went to Poinsettia, Balboa, then Buena. Live right in the middle between those 3 schools.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wonder if I know your Family. I grew up in Ventura. Went to Poinsettia, Balboa, then Buena. Live right in the middle between those 3 schools.
My oldest son is Robbie Holland, graduated in 1987 from Buena, My younger son is 40 years old graduated here 1995, but went to Elmhurst and Cabrillo in Ventura. I worked in oil industry, Otis Engineering

·
Registered
7 Posts
I usually back up a few feet and cones right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I usually back up after disengaging mine as well, old habit I guess. On the SV's that I have had, I noticed(at least with mine), that if I were going from 4 Lo back to 2 Wd, that if I shifted my transmission into neutral before switching it, it would help it disengage especially after backing up. Although, where I am located, I usually don't have to go very far to be able to back up though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This thread kinda cracks me up.. I'm old and I remember having to unlock my hubs and backup a bit...

Reactions: jwp1964

·
Registered
288 Posts
Back in the day there was no shift on the fly.. That's why I qualified my post by saying I'm old... Which I am.. Also back in the day if you didn't off road for awhile you'd lock your hubs up even when you weren't 4 wheelin' so you could work the whole front train too... Even used a slide rule... That was BC aka Before Calculators..

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
You had to back up to get out of 4wd with the "newer" auto locking hubs too. Glad that was a short lived phase of 4x4 tech. THose things were a nightmare.

·
Registered
71 Posts
JeniorNV said:
You must never have to take it out of 4WD on the highway. That method would be impractical for me.

You're right. Never in 4wd ON highway.
I have to use 4wd on the hwy otherwise I'd never make it to work in the winter (or the ski slopes). We get pretty big storms about 6-8 times each winter and a lot of times it snows faster than the plows can scrape it off the road. That is one of the reasons I have owned this truck the last few years.

I have a friend who has a Chevy HHR (front wheel drive) and he struggles every time it even snows a quarter of an inch. I feel pretty lucky I can switch 4wd on and off without getting out of the vehicle and continue with my commute without any hassle.

Like JeniorNV said, I got shift-on-the-fly for a reason. When I was little, me and my dad would go check on the cattle out in the pasture in his 1976 F-250. It was always my job to jump out and switch the hubs (as well as open/close gates, move cattle out of the way, etc...) I don't need that in my life anymore.

That being said, switching in/out of 4wd with a knob is much easier but I have had issues getting back into 2wd in the past. Most of the time it resolves after a few minutes of driving but there was once or twice when I could not get it back into 2wd no matter what I tried. I tried going slowly, going in reverse for 100 yds, eventually I just gave up and drove in 4wd for about 30 mins until it finally corrected itself.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I have to use 4wd on the hwy otherwise I'd never make it to work in the winter (or the ski slopes). We get pretty big storms about 6-8 times each winter and a lot of times it snows faster than the plows can scrape it off the road. That is one of the reasons I have owned this truck the last few years.

I have a friend who has a Chevy HHR (front wheel drive) and he struggles every time it even snows a quarter of an inch. I feel pretty lucky I can switch 4wd on and off without getting out of the vehicle and continue with my commute without any hassle.

Like JeniorNV said, I got shift-on-the-fly for a reason. When I was little, me and my dad would go check on the cattle out in the pasture in his 1976 F-250. It was always my job to jump out and switch the hubs (as well as open/close gates, move cattle out of the way, etc...) I don't need that in my life anymore.
You can just leave the hubs locked and shift the tcase in and out of 2/4wd. It would essentially just be like our trucks. My FIL would leave his K5 blazer's front hubs locked all winter, and shift the tcase as needed.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You can just leave the hubs locked and shift the tcase in and out of 2/4wd. It would essentially just be like our trucks. My FIL would leave his K5 blazer's front hubs locked all winter, and shift the tcase as needed.
I did the same with my '74 K5. Then one spring I went to unlock them and the Warns were seized up, both sides. :-(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts