Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Rogue Admin
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The thanks idea also allows easier voting from the autoguide app.

Here is another idea.

In December, have a nomination/vote thread for all of the ideas for different categories for 2016. Examples of categories could be member of the month, trip/photo of the month, lifted 4x of the month, non-lifted truck of the month, etc, snow truck pic of the month, and some others mentioned above.

Have everyone vote on the categories for the up coming year 2016, so we know in advance what is coming for the year. The top 12 or top 4 (if quarterly contest is used) categories are the ones that will be used.

The issue with the categories though, is they have to be generic enough to provide the opportunity for easy nominations.
It may be better if we have ideas for themes, but only announce a month out - keeps material fresh. I agree with generic themes - we could easily do things like: beach shot, mall crawler shot, moonlight shot, etc - rather than lift, interior, and truck specifics. We could also mix in MOTM every quarter - no bad ideas.

I've mentioned I prefer to ditch the voting altogether and have the winner be random. The voting takes too long, minimal members participate, and then everyone has a fair chance to win, just like a lotto.

Whatchu think o dat?

·
Rogue Admin
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'm getting my threads mixed up and repeating myself. :laugh:

How important is voting to members? We generally get about 60 people that vote, from thousands of members. Is it imperative to vote, or have free reign to nominate?

Perhaps I should add a poll to vote on this thread to prove the point?

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
I'm getting my threads mixed up and repeating myself. :laugh:

Then move the private discussion I started here, or forget about it altogether and just post all your opinions here...I don't care. The mod squad doesn't do these contests for ourselves anyway, we do them for all these other guys. ;)

·
Rogue Admin
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Then move the private discussion I started here or forget about it altogether...I don't care. The mod squad doesn't do these contests for ourselves anyway, we do them for all these other guys. ;)
When we're blue, we never get to be private. :surprise:

Yes, this is all for the forum. The numbers also show that a very slim portion of the members participate in this 'event' - which says a lot on its own.

Let's surmise:

The prevailing response that many don't participate because they don't think they can compete with the other big-budget 4x4s is something we must listen to.

Having a generic theme would enable most to participate.

Voting is not used by many, perhaps a lotto would be best and get even more members to participate - we need to figure this out.

MOTM sounds good, but I have a feeling it will be the same people always nominated until all those go through - just like the TOTM is now.

To be continued.....

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
The prevailing response that many don't participate because they don't think they can compete with the other big-budget 4x4s is something we must listen to.

Agreed.

perhaps a lotto would be best and get even more members to participate - we need to figure this out.
OK guys, so what does everyone here think about abandoning the ideas of having a poll or giving a Thanks, and using some sort of lottery system instead?

·
Rogue Admin
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Here's why I am in favour of ditching the voting (this was said to Jenn in private, but let's air it all out here):

Very few people actually vote. It is a lot of work to create the threads, monitor, then close, make an announcement thread etc to cater to 50 or so people that do vote - out of 62,000 members. Which leads to....

Most often it is the 4x4 shots that win, and eventually, as discussed, others do not even wish to participate because it can be a little embarrassing to always get nominated and not get any votes. In fact, sometimes I will edit the poll and add at least one vote to a member that has been sitting at zero votes for a while - people that nominate that member don't even vote for them. That's gotta hurt a little.

If the voting was gone, it was strictly a lotto, I think a lot more members would participate in the themed TOTM as everyone would have an equal chance to win. And overall, we want more member forum participation, that's why we come to this site.

And that is why I think voting should be ditched, I really see no down side but hey, you know what they say about opinions....everyone has one. ::grin::

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I've only been a member for a few short months, but I love this site, I love all the information available, and so I decided to become a lifetime member, to support it.

I know I made a comment that may have started a lot of this, so I do have to apologize for that, but I really like all the suggestions that I'm seeing.
The mods know this site far better than I do, see far more than I do, oh and by the way, thanks for adding that extra vote to my last TOTM entry, Zed! Lol :)

62000 members?!? WOW!
And only 1% participate?
That's just sad...

So yeah, something definitely needs to be addressed.
The lottery is cool, I like that idea, and it gives a much better chance to those who normally wouldn't be brave enough to enter, especially if you randomize themes in a way to include a wider variety of bone stock, nothing-stock-about-it, 2WD, 4x4, lifted, non-lifted, modded, & non-modded trucks...

·
Rogue Admin
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
I've only been a member for a few short months, but I love this site, I love all the information available, and so I decided to become a lifetime member, to support it.

I know I made a comment that may have started a lot of this, so I do have to apologize for that, but I really like all the suggestions that I'm seeing.
The mods know this site far better than I do, see far more than I do, oh and by the way, thanks for adding that extra vote to my last TOTM entry, Zed! Lol :)

62000 members?!? WOW!
And only 1% participate?
That's just sad...
::wink::
So yeah, something definitely needs to be addressed.
The lottery is cool, I like that idea, and it gives a much better chance to those who normally wouldn't be brave enough to enter, especially if you randomize themes in a way to include a wider variety of bone stock, nothing-stock-about-it, 2WD, 4x4, lifted, non-lifted, modded, & non-modded trucks...
You're welcome, and thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I'm liking what I'm hearing . Just to add - 60 members of 62,000 = 0.09% members voting.

I vote themed monthly photo contests with lotto as selection and quarterly member recognition:)
Thanks. I'm leaning this way as well.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Jen do you have problems attaching jpg files on photobucket? Every time I try to attach a file using my iPhone 6+ (now with the new ios9) the whole page (in safari) exits. I've tried many times with the same result for months now..

·
Rogue Admin
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Jen do you have problems attaching jpg files on photobucket? Every time I try to attach a file using my iPhone 6+ (now with the new ios9) the whole page (in safari) exits. I've tried many times with the same result for months now..
Let's keep this on topic, please. There is a forum for site issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,047 Posts
Here's why I am in favour of ditching the voting (this was said to Jenn in private, but let's air it all out here):

Very few people actually vote. It is a lot of work to create the threads, monitor, then close, make an announcement thread etc to cater to 50 or so people that do vote - out of 62,000 members. Which leads to....

Most often it is the 4x4 shots that win, and eventually, as discussed, others do not even wish to participate because it can be a little embarrassing to always get nominated and not get any votes. In fact, sometimes I will edit the poll and add at least one vote to a member that has been sitting at zero votes for a while - people that nominate that member don't even vote for them. That's gotta hurt a little.

If the voting was gone, it was strictly a lotto, I think a lot more members would participate in the themed TOTM as everyone would have an equal chance to win. And overall, we want more member forum participation, that's why we come to this site.

And that is why I think voting should be ditched, I really see no down side but hey, you know what they say about opinions....everyone has one. ::grin::
I'm guessing the 62,000 are not active members (members who log in once a week or more), but regardless the voting turnout is pretty sad regardless of what the real % is. I've always been surprised at this, especially since a first nomination is a lot harder, finding a good picture, etc.. Voting is much easier.

You make a great point on the zero vote example, that is important and probably overlooked a lot of the time.

Remind us of the capabilities that you mods have, is it only featuring a thread that shows the first picture? If you have more advanced capabilities like being able to load multiple pictures and cycle through them through the day/month AUTOMATICALLY, without extra work from you guys, then I would show all the nominations.

If your capabilities are limited, than the lotto idea does make good sense.

·
Rogue Admin
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm guessing the 62,000 are not active members (members who log in once a week or more), but regardless the voting turnout is pretty sad regardless of what the real % is. I've always been surprised at this, especially since a first nomination is a lot harder, finding a good picture, etc.. Voting is much easier.

You make a great point on the zero vote example, that is important and probably overlooked a lot of the time.

Remind us of the capabilities that you mods have, is it only featuring a thread that shows the first picture? If you have more advanced capabilities like being able to load multiple pictures and cycle through them through the day/month AUTOMATICALLY, without extra work from you guys, then I would show all the nominations.

If your capabilities are limited, than the lotto idea does make good sense.
The home page only shows one picture, no gifs or slideshows. We can post gifs in a thread just as you can - but who would make gifs of multiple trucks? Let's think simple

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this lottery thing works.

If someone posts a downright terrible pic, doing the lotto completely randomly means we could end up with a sucky front page pic for a month.

Or would it be less random than that? Maybe put the 5 with the most "Thanks" or the 5 we like best or just throw out our 3 least favorites, and then pick one randomly?

Just trying to figure out what you guys are thinking. Mostly because I'm still not sold on the lottery idea.

I also don't believe it's "simpler" than voting (whether by poll or by thanks).

·
Rogue Admin
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
You're worried about a bad picture when only 50 active members are involved? Vote on the themes if you want your voting freedom, we can do that every 4 months. We can stipulate a certain size/quality of pic if need be - but I really don't see that being an issue. If you insist on voting, it will have minimal participation as it does now - last verse, same as the first.

To add to this - the voting thread for TOTM has had not one post in it except from me, not one participant has PM'd their build, and 21 people have voted (and Andy has 0 votes). What will we be missing by having voting?

·
Super Moderator
3,047 Posts
After thinking about it the lotto provides the same 'hurt' that the 0 votes model does.

Someone who worked really hard (on whatever theme it is), and has a really really awesome pic, submits their photo only to lose to a lame entry. That person probably isn't going to try again.

Voting participation may improve with the thanks model, and also allows voting for more than one truck. It does also have the interesting side effect of knowing who everyone voted for.

I would lean toward themed contests with voting by poll or thanks, while every quarter it is the member of the month. Drop to quarterly if participation lacks, then drop the contest if participation continues low.

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
Someone who worked really hard (on whatever theme it is), and has a really really awesome pic, submits their photo only to lose to a lame entry. That person probably isn't going to try again.

^This is exactly what I was trying to get at last night but worded it much more poorly than you did.

Zed, you keep citing "lack of participation" as the reason to switch to a lottery system. And yet I am still failing to see how drawing names out of a hat is "better" than letting the 60 or so forum members who care about the contest the most provide their input in the form of a democratic vote.

·
Rogue Admin
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Well, that's the best part of a democracy - you can have your opinion and I can have mine. If we were voting on it, there are now 3 votes for lottery and two for voting. See how that works?

The idea of the lottery is that more people will participate. Great - spend time on the theme! Let's see those Frontiers! But be prepared for 4x4 second gens to win every month - just like it is now. Others will not bother to enter, as people have stated, and then it is just the same old 40-60 people voting the same old thing. When your one year comes up Jenn, you'll be up there again. Last verse, same as the first. Too much time for too few interested. Lotto - enter to win, equal chances.

TOTM thread - still no one has posted in that thread except me, 220 views, 22 votes, and still 0 votes for Andy. Not one member elected has sent me a PM about the build of their trucks. Sounds like fun for everyone? Not to my ears.

Did the math - 22 members of 62000 = 0.035%. That's what I mean by lack of participation. More work than worth, as you know.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My preference is for the THANKS model, as it's fun to see who voted for whom, and allows for multiple votes per voter (I sometimes can't decide between two rigs). I also support the "themed" model, to be determined by mods on a monthly/quarterly basis (members can also suggest, naturally). In terms of nominations, and to lessen the workload on mods, I suggest opening up the thread to whoever wants to nominate/self-nominate - make his/her best case in one post, and let the members decide through the use of thanks - mods will leave all nominations up unless somebody's just plainly screwing around. Mods will count all the thanks at the end of the month, and that's that.

This seems easy for the mods, interesting for the members, and different enough to try, imo.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts