Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2016 SV Crew cab. Of course once I get it home I realize it has the vibrations. The vibrations would come on at various points from 60-75 and felt like an out of balance tire. I had them balanced, rebalanced, road force balanced, balanced again, an out of round rim replaced and still they vibrated. I swapped the spare for one of the rears and also replaced one of the rears.... still a vibration. I rotated them and adjusted the pressure. I took it back to the dealer for the third time with some video of the seats moving and they finally got serious. They finally determined that the tires had flat spots and replaced all 4. Turns out the truck had been on the lot in Florida for a few months. The Hankook tires developed hard to detect flat spots which vibrated the truck at highway speeds. The hot pavement just warped the tires permanently. Not until each and every tire was replaced was the problem remedied. After replacement, no more seat shake, perfect smooth ride. I thought others may be interested in my trials as well as the final solution. From this experience I have developed two new rules for myself. Always test drive a vehicle at 75mph (the truck was great until 60mph) and never buy the vehicle that has been sitting for 4 months.

·
Registered
544 Posts
To be truthful I never noticed or realized on my own the passenger seat dance till I read about it here after I got rid of the stock AS Hankook SV tires on my 16 at 2K miles and installed the ATM Hankook 265/75 tires... To which after reading on the forums do I bother to look and yep my passenger seatback does indeed to the dance; these tires were fresh mounted so they were not flat spotted from the truck sitting stationary on the dealer lot..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be truthful I never noticed or realized on my own the passenger seat dance till I read about it here after I got rid of the stock AS Hankook SV tires on my 16 at 2K miles and installed the ATM Hankook 265/75 tires... To which after reading on the forums do I bother to look and yep my passenger seatback does indeed to the dance; these tires were fresh mounted so they were not flat spotted from the truck sitting stationary on the dealer lot..
For sure that seat is sensitive. It seems to just really resonate at frequencies related to the tire rotation. what was surprising for me was there was a bent rim from the factory. Also the factory balance was waaay off. In my experience with this issue even a freshly mounted new tire can be balanced wrong. It was ridiculous how bad some of the rebalances were on new relacement tires. The dealer would say a tire was balanced and a local tire shop would say it was way off. At various points during this saga I had the seat vibes to a mangeable level. of course being a new vehicle I felt it shouldnt happen at all. It took at least 4 trips to the dealer until a full tire replacement fixed the problem. In all we went through 10 tires to get 4 that were smooth. On the other hand, almost every truck I have ever had has had some seat movement so maybe some is to be expected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Greeeeaaaaat. I have the exact same problem. I just purchased a brand-new off the lot 2016 SV. During the test drive it was fine. Of course I buy it drive it home to find right around 63 it starts to vibrate, which I didn't feel on the test drive, as I didn't get that fast. I took it back and had two service techs drive it. Neither felt the vibration and claimed "its an older new truck, so it was probably sitting a lot, so it had flat spots in the tires." They told me to drive it around until at least 1200 miles to see if the tires will self-correct.

Other sources have told me this is BS. So with your info and the sources, I think I'll go back and really let them know I want this rectified ASAP.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have resorted to folding the seat flat when nobody is using it. Eliminates the shake and 95% of the noises. As an added bonus it makes the cabin feel much roomier and airy.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have resorted to folding the seat flat when nobody is using it. Eliminates the shake and 95% of the noises. As an added bonus it makes the cabin feel much roomier and airy.
Don't know why I hadn't started doing this as I've done it in rental cars for years...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Question: when you have a passenger in the truck, can they feel the vibrations?

I feel like there are two separate problems compounding this. One is the known issue of the passenger seat bouncing, even with perfectly balanced wheels and perfect suspension. I've read that's an issue. But the second issue is it feels like a whole-truck shudder to me, almost exactly like a wheel balance or a wheel bearing issue. I have an iPhone phone mount on the dash, and that thing shakes like a banshee at certain speeds. You can really see the reverberations when the phone is in as it adds mass.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Question: when you have a passenger in the truck, can they feel the vibrations?

I feel like there are two separate problems compounding this. One is the known issue of the passenger seat bouncing, even with perfectly balanced wheels and perfect suspension. I've read that's an issue. But the second issue is it feels like a whole-truck shudder to me, almost exactly like a wheel balance or a wheel bearing issue. I have an iPhone phone mount on the dash, and that thing shakes like a banshee at certain speeds. You can really see the reverberations when the phone is in as it adds mass.
My issue is the passenger seat only at this time. The truck is smooth as butter from 0-79mph. Why 79mph? That is because I have never driven her faster than that :D. The passengers do not notice any vibration and there is almost zero noise once there is a person in the seat. I do know there was a TSB for this issue but it didn't apply to 2014.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greeeeaaaaat. I have the exact same problem. I just purchased a brand-new off the lot 2016 SV. During the test drive it was fine. Of course I buy it drive it home to find right around 63 it starts to vibrate, which I didn't feel on the test drive, as I didn't get that fast. I took it back and had two service techs drive it. Neither felt the vibration and claimed "its an older new truck, so it was probably sitting a lot, so it had flat spots in the tires." They told me to drive it around until at least 1200 miles to see if the tires will self-correct.

Other sources have told me this is BS. So with your info and the sources, I think I'll go back and really let them know I want this rectified ASAP.
Yeah they already *know* it has flat spots. For whatever reason the Hankook tires have kind of soft sidewalls. Sitting on the lot at 35 psi (and probably less from sitting) just messes them up IMO. The issue feels just like wheel balance but comes on only at highway speeds. Also the stiff suspension and stiff frame really seems to amplify any tire issues. I went with 40psi in the tires and it did alter the vibration and lessened it but did not remove it. I drove over 2000 miles and they never got better. Don't assume it is only one tire like I did.. all 4 will probably be out of round. I took a video and it helped get action. Good luck. I know how dissappointing it is to have a brand new truck vibrate!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've got about 85,000 on my 2013 SV and its been doing it since I brought it home. I never really found it that much of an issue to be honest. I notice the squeek a little once in a while but only when I have the stereo at really low volume (say maybe less than 15). I do a lot of high speed highway driving, 80 to 90 MPH a lot between Houston, Dallas, and Austin so I guess I qualify as someone who would be annoyed but for some reason it just doesn't bother me enough to where I've felt action needed to be taken. Not sure what kind of vehicles you guys have owned in the past but I've had so many cars where stuff is rattling in the door, the dash... Heck, I don't even want to get into my 77 Jimmy, lol.. Between the rattle of the caps on the front bumper bolts, the rattle of the tailgate, the glass inside the tailgate, the windows rattling in the channel because GM used felt that fell off and rubber around the windows that turned so hard you could cut yourself on it.... It's interesting what some people find to be a problem, lol.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Did you ever drive one with 4 flat spotted tires though?
You want to test drive something with 4 flat-spotted tires? Come to the house in the colder months and I'll let you test drive my HoodCart (AKA Golfcart) that sees very little to no use the 28 days I'm away... Till the tires warm back up that bugger can be downright bothersome! LOL

Guess I got off lucky in that in the 2K miles on the stock AS Hankooks and the following 4K miles on the ATM Hankooks I have to actually look at the empty passenger seat to see it dance as the truck does mostly LD interstate drives and while it is a truck it is a delight to drive...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You want to test drive something with 4 flat-spotted tires? Come to the house in the colder months and I'll let you test drive my HoodCart (AKA Golfcart) that sees very little to no use the 28 days I'm away... Till the tires warm back up that bugger can be downright bothersome! LOL

Guess I got off lucky in that in the 2K miles on the stock AS Hankooks and the following 4K miles on the ATM Hankooks I have to actually look at the empty passenger seat to see it dance as the truck does mostly LD interstate drives and while it is a truck it is a delight to drive...
Agreed. I enjoy driving mine now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts