Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 SV CC LWB. I have a few questions for other owners of 2016 SV trucks.

1. Did your truck come with a 3rd Valet key?
2. Rear speakers, if you play just these, are they absolutely terrible, or is it something with my truck?
3. Using Nissan Connect to play Pandora or Bluetooth device, does your head unit freeze if you try to skip songs or thumbs up/down?

Thanks
Happy New Years
Josh

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
with my 2013,
yes,
yes, these absolutely SUCK.
No BT radio, but my BT stopped working about a year in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Don't know, never tried.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a 2016 SV CC LWB. I have a few questions for other owners of 2016 SV trucks.

2. Rear speakers, if you play just these, are they absolutely terrible, or is it something with my truck?
3. Using Nissan Connect to play Pandora or Bluetooth device, does your head unit freeze if you try to skip songs or thumbs up/down?

Thanks
Happy New Years
Josh
I have a '17 SV...

1. Yes
2. I'll try and let you know in a week when I'm back in the states...
3. Playing my old but still working (ATT go phone no contract sim) iPhone5 I brought back from Japan I have more trouble gettting it to read if I'm plugged in - the radio thinks it's an iPod; BT works fine every time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
@Josh41 Only answer I have is the rear speakers. I was actually just sitting down to post this same question. If I put the fade all the way in the back, I can barely hear anything unless I turn it way up. Is this normal? If so, can we just replace the speakers and get something better or does the head unit really need to be replaced first?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a 2013 SV but still

1. Yes.
2. Rear speakers suck on most of the Fronty's. Not sure if it's the head unit, placement of speakers, or quality of speakers. Will found out soon though.
3. My year doesn't have BT audio play option. Only works as phone connection and only works for audio playback through the cable with Apple devices. Using Pandora nothing controls the audio playback, but if I am listening to music on my phone (as in ipod mode) then it tends to work without issue.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts

Thanks
Happy New Years
Josh
1-yes. did the dealer not give you a 3rd key? Only reason I like the valet key is the removeable transponder, if you want to do a Rogue key mod.
2-yes
3-NisConnect has always been dodgy since it was introduced. If you're considering replacing the HU, you can add that as one more reason to sell the wife (or your wallet) on the purchase. The salesman even admitted BEFORE I signed the paperwork that Connect didn't work like it was supposed to...

... Not sure if it's the head unit, placement of speakers, or quality of speakers. Will found out soon though.
It's a bit of both HU quality & speaker quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To add another data point regarding item 2, the rear speakers in my current 2014 SV CC are a bit muted when faded to the rear. Regardless of fade and balance, sound does not come through the speakers crisply above normal volume levels. As such, I prefer to keep the balance and fade settings neutral, and volume at a reasonable level for best overall sound quality.

My previous 2007 SE CC Frontier was similar, front and rear speakers all sounded fairly scratchy at anything above normal volume levels regardless of fade and balance settings. I assumed it was mostly due to speaker quality. When I swapped the factory HU for a Pioneer with BT and USB, I was amazed how nice the speakers sounded at normal and elevated volume levels. Turned out not to be the speakers after all.

I suspect the factory HU's are the weak link in the sound system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pretty much what I've been reading everywhere else on the forum - replace the HU before you do anything else as it's the weak link as @2014SV mentions. Really glad for the forum posters. I was getting ready to drop some $$ on speakers first.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes on the key and all the factory speakers stink.. change them out however keep in mind they are 2 ohm so try to find some 2 or 3 ohm speakers to keep the power high

I ran some JBL GTO609 IN the front they are 3 ohm for a little bit before upgrading to the gti670 @ $1000 I was happy with the way the gto's sounded

With these in the front you wont worry about the rear but the JBL GTO629 would work in the rear but I would probably run the GTO609 all the way around if I was going to keep it

I would recommend them to someone looking for better factory speakers

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts

Thanks
Happy New Years
Josh
2014 SV here... but they're all pretty much the same.

1. Yes
2. All of the factory speakers are terrible.
3. When I still had my factory head unit, BT worked fine regardless of source... but the sound was even worse (due to BT)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts