Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the PRG 2x1.5 mini lift on my 2012 SL and it looks great. According to PRG, it's the most popular frontier leveling kit and I get why. I was very happy, no ride issues.
On PRG's website, they say the 1.5x1 mini lift works best on the pro-4x. Why is this- why is the shorter lift recommended for the pro-4x models?
Looking for feedback from anyone who has installed either of these kits on their pro-4x!
For what it's worth, I also intend to install motorsport tech 1.25" wheel spacers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey I noticed that too. Not sure why it is, unless the pro4x is taller to begin with? Definitely curious to know more though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Would like to know as well as I have a pro4x and want a lift in the future

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I emailed PRG for input on this after seeing other people with the same questions. Will keep you posted...

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
My guess is that he (Greg) assumes that if someone buys a Pro-4X, they intend to take it off road eventually where as other trims are most likely lifting for looks.
The 1.5/1 will perform better off road as you are far less likely to get CB contact. The 2/1.5 will also do just fine off road but you'll be hearing the contact much more often.

Besides the Bilsteins, a Pro 4X is no different than other trims suspension wise. The added .5" of ride height come from the tires. Pro 4Xs get 265-75-16 (about a 32") where as most other trims get a 31" tire.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My guess is that he (Greg) assumes that if someone buys a Pro-4X, they intend to take it off road eventually where as other trims are most likely lifting for looks.
The 1.5/1 will perform better off road as you are far less likely to get CB contact. The 2/1.5 will also do just fine off road but you'll be hearing the contact much more often.

Besides the Bilsteins, a Pro 4X is no different than other trims suspension wise. The added .5" of ride height come from the tires. Pro 4Xs get 265-75-16 (about a 32") where as most other trims get a 31" tire.

Thanks for the knowledge! the 1.5/1 seems like a good setup, especially with wheel spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg from PRG emailed me back this morning. He provided the following explanation.

"because nissan already max'd the suspension height on the prx. there just isnt room to add much more without changing a lot of other parts (a-arms, cams, sway bar links, etc). going taller will make the alignment harder to do, you will loose wheel travel (ride quality) and get excessive coilbucket contact w the upper a-arms. We make a 2 and 2.5" spacer for these trucks, and they will surely bolt on, but the results are not pleasant. trust me, i really wish we could sell you a 3" lift spacer with no side effects."

With this, I'll be doing with the 1.5x1 lift. That with some 1.25" wheel spacers and I'll be happy happy

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
That and the blisteins in the pro4x are slightly longer. Thus the 2.5s come with a taller bumper stop. This reduces the amount of total travel and contributes to coil bucket contact. Remember that height is not the only thing when it comes to overall off road performance. If you read the travel numbers thread by greg/prg http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/travel-numbers-88209/ the stock suspesnion give you 5.6 inches of travle. The 2" lift gives you 5.5". Yes only .1 inches less but still. If you only lift 1.5 than you are still in the 5.6" operating range. If you don;t install the taller bump stop that greg supplies you will crush your shock at bottom out. Very slightly, but enough to shorten it life span if you really bottom out the suspension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts