Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to contribute some clarification on OEM stereo connections which should apply to the 2016, 2017, and 2018 model years. It seems in 2016 the Audio connections changed from previous years so Pre-2016 installs may have similarities but will also contain some specific deviations for 2016+ installations. I have read through many of the other threads on audio installs of various depths but was never able to find specific info for my 2018 SV CCLB with VTP and Display Audio stereo with Backup Cam.

I was only able to find up to 2016 FSM here:
Nissan Factory Service Manuals

Through much testing and hair pulling I found the 2016 and 2018 audio configurations are 90% the same. The 2017 is likely similar but I did find specifically my OEM Mic had more wires than the 2016. With no FSM support there I had to test the other connections. The following is what I have found that works.

For my install I wanted to swap everything out and retain all the stock OEM functions.

JVC KW-V830BT
Polk Audio DB6502 ( Front Components)
Polk Audio DB652 (Rear Coax)
Audio Enhancers Single 10” NFC55 ( Single sub enclosure)
JL Audio 10TW3-D4
Kenwood Excelon X801-5

The connectors I used to either plug and play or build my own plugs are below.

Axxess AX-NIS24SWC-6v (6vdc for camera)
Metra 70-7552 (Stereo to Vehicle harness)
Metra 70-7552 ( SWI-RC to vehicle used pins) Wheel controls
TE Connectivity ( 1473799-1) Mouser (571-1473799-1) Connector for backup camera.
Metra 72-7401 ( Speaker connectors)
Electop USB 2.0 A Male to Mini USB Female Adapter Converter(2 Pack) ( OEM USB to aftermarket Headunit USB)
40-NI12 ( OEM Antenna to New head unit) remove blue wire that's only there for powered antenna.
SWI-RC ( Maintain Steering Wheel Controls)
Metra 95-7619 Stereo mount kit. Did not fit stereo. Still looking into this.
Fakra connector: So after more reading I realized my headunit is XM Ready and lacks a satellite tuner. Since I don't use satellite radio ever (even with the free subscription) I'm not buying a $45 XM tuner to hook up.

NOTE: If you’re removing pins to use, the Metra 70-7552 pins are longer than the spare Axxess AX-NIS24SWC-6v pins are. They both fit the bare TE Connectivity plug and make contact with the vehicle harness female receptacles but the length of engagement is different. If possible it may be best to use the Metra pins. And for clarification, the Male connector houses Female "pins" or receptacles. The Female connector houses Male Pins.

To remove the pins, I used the tiniest jewler’s screwdriver I could find. Push it in the slot above the pin you are removing, you’ll need to push the pin out and pull it at the same time. This works for the Metra, Axxess, and OEM Audio plugs and pins.

Below is the Radio Antenna plug with Blue wire being removed. You could just isolate it or cut it off and tape up.

Nissan Wire Colors:
B = Black W = White R = Red G = Green L = Blue Y = Yellow LG = Light Green BG = Beige BR = Brown LA = Lavender OR or O = Orange P = Pink PU or V (Violet) = Purple GY or GR = Gray SB = Sky Blue CH = Dark Brown DG = Dark Green

I’ve been pouring over many threads prior to my stereo upgrade and i had not found much info covering my year Frontier. So I decided once I got things ironed out I’d put together a list of what worked for me.

I couldn’t find a 2018 FSM mainly for wiring diagrams. I could only find a 2016 FSM from Index of /FSM/Frontier/2016 Frontier . Use section AV for audio connections and wiring diagrams. From looking over my wiring harnesses and testing using the 2016 Wiring diagram for my Display Audio I found the 2016 Diagrams are for the most part accurate to my 2018. This is probably the case for 2017 as well.

For starters the biggest difference may be the Bluetooth is no longer handled by a separate unit mounted under the Passenger Front seat. All the signals go to the head unit. So you no longer need the bluetooth bypass module.

The USB connector is now a mini USB plug so you can get a female miniUSB adapter to connect the OEM and new headunit.
USB Adapter

Metra 70-7552 (Stereo to Vehicle harness)
I used this to connect the new headunit’s pigtails to the vehicle harness. Colors match the instructions but as has been noted, this is missing 3 wires needed for the Steering wheel controls. I added the pins in locations 6, 15, and 16. The pins and wire attached were pulled from a spare Metra harness (70-7552)

Metra 72-7401 ( Speaker connectors Crutchfield includes them free)
These fit the OEM plugs. I ran new speaker wire so I ended up not using them.

Metra 40-NI12
The antenna uses a non-standard plug. I ordered the 40-NI12 and removed the blue wire as it’s not used.

Bluetooth/handsfree Mic
This is where the 2016 Wiring diagram failed me. My 2018’s OEM mic uses two pickups and 5 wires, not the 3 wires in the 2016 diagram so I was unable to figure out that signal or voltage it needed. I removed it from the stock location and ran the JVC mic that came in the box up there. My wife says she can’t hear me so I’ve got to move it probably to just behind the rear view mirror. It seems ok if not on the freeway. On the freeway it may be picking up noise from the roof. I think I'll move it to just behind and above the rear view mirror.

EDIT: 6/1/18 Since moving the mic to a spot just above the review mirror the voice quality heard on the other line is great.

PAC SWI-RC
The steering wheel controls are resistive. The Stock Headunit sends 5vdc to both circuits and depending on which button you press, the resistance changes. These circuits are located on the 20 pin audio wiring harness ( the one with the power and speaker connections). This is the one some people source the Subaru harness for. I ordered a second Metra 70-7552 and removed the pins and added them in slots 6, 15, and 16.

PAC doesn’t make an adapter that fits my model year but their instructions say to check their website to find the most updated instructions and they can help if you find a wiring diagram.

I found the Nissan’s controls use Version 3 and Notes 291(Nissan08: Connect**the INTERFACE's White/Red wire to Pin 6 (Violet) of the vehicle connector. It just so happend that I used the spare Violet wire for my pin 6.
Pin 6 connected to White/Red of PAC-SWI-RC:

Connect the INTERFACE's White wire to Pin 16 of the vehicle connector. See above pic. In my case it was the Gray wire I added.

Connect Pin 15 of the vehicle connector to Ground.) THis was my Gray/Black wire from the previous pic. The colors are incorrect in the PAC instructions and didn't match the 2018 harness but the pin locations are correct.

You can confirm this with a multimeter: Pin 15 is ground, 16 is SW-B + and feeds Phone Send (725k Ohm), Seek Down (322.9 Ohm), Seek UP (122.7 Ohm), and Mode (1.8 Ohm). SW-A+ ( pin 6) to pin 15 is Vol Down (1.7 Ohm), Vol Up (122.5 Ohm), and Phone Send (322.5 Ohm). These are my readings. Yours may be slightly different but in the ballpark.

The PAC’s programming is limited so I set my Mode button to be the Voice Dial which brings up in my case SIRI for handsfree control. You can set the buttons to whatever you want, you just have to set them in the correct order based on the instructions. It’s pretty simple if you can follow instructions.

Axxess AX-NIS24SWC-6v Back Up Camera
I used the OEM camera and as others before me found it runs off 6vdc not 12vdc. I found the pins and colors were correct on the 2016 FSM and are located on the 32 pin connector:
-Reverse trigger ( Pin 50 Light Blue) Provides +12vdc When Gear selector is in Reverse for the Stereo to switch to Reverse Camera Display.
-Camera On signal ( Green/Yellow--sends 6vdc to camera on Pin 34)
-Camera Video Signal ( Black Pin 35)
-Video Ground ( White Pin 36)

I used the AX-NIS24SWC-6V to provide 6vdc to the camera. I used the RCA connector and removed the pins so I could insert them into the 32pin housing I got from Mouser ( Mouser PN 571-1473799-1). With male pins inserted into the bare connector, I hooked the Axxess power supply and video wires up following the included instructions. Camera works perfectly and on the JVC comes on even before the unit fully boots up but the gridlines don't show up until it boots up.

Here's the Mouser plug with Axess pins installed and plugged into the vehicle's 32pin harness:

Hopefuly this will help future AV projects.

J

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
Wish I would have saw this thread a week ago. Thanks for the heads up on my thread. I've got the factory no Rockford, no nav but Bluetooth unit.
Tonight I'll try once more to get the steering wheel controls working. Should be easy now with your help here. I thought to get the phone steeringwheel buttons working was an additional effort needing to bypass a factory BT module or something? I'd also love to use the factory Mic instead of running the aftermarket one.

I've got a pioneer and the mount holes line up enough to use the factory side brackets instead of the cheesy plastic ones in the Metra kit (which mine showed up broken anyway so I'm happy about not needing to use it) of course still need the trim ring piece.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish I would have saw this thread a week ago. Thanks for the heads up on my thread. I've got the factory no Rockford, no nav but Bluetooth unit.
Tonight I'll try once more to get the steering wheel controls working. Should be easy now with your help here. I thought to get the phone steeringwheel buttons working was an additional effort needing to bypass a factory BT module or something? I'd also love to use the factory Mic instead of running the aftermarket one.

I've got a pioneer and the mount holes line up enough to use the factory side brackets instead of the cheesy plastic ones in the Metra kit (which mine showed up broken anyway so I'm happy about not needing to use it) of course still need the trim ring piece.
Cool. You're close.

I think you have the Display Audio version like I did.

Factory mic I couldn't figure out because my 2018 had what I think was two mics in an assy so had 5 wires or 6. Can't remember. The 2016's and older had one mic in the same spot. The 2016 FSM showed 3 wires I think for 2016.

On 2015 and Older you had to bypass the BT module to get the signal to pass through to the Steering wheel controls. On 2016 and Newer, the Bluetooth unit is built into the OEM headunit. For this install you don't have to do anything to the BT. One less headache.

I took out my OEM Mic and mounted the Aftermarket one there. Unfortunately I think it picks up road noise from the roof so it's hard for people to hear me when I'm on the freeway. It's ok at 45mph and slower. I may try some sound deadening material like what I used on the doors and rear cab.

J

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Still having trouble. A and B are switched for me, line 6 and 16, no big deal and I can read the resistances fine on each wheel button, but my aswc1 won't power on if hook its ground to pin 15, but even if it's on a good chassis ground then I still get zero function on the buttons. Not sure what is up, this is driving me crazy... I guess maybe I'm not using the right wires on the aswc1 to the pine 6 and 16 wires, I read on some thread to use green/white and red/gray ...
Ok just found in another thread to use red/gray and blue/gray for pin 6 and 16. Grounded 15. Nothing. Same result. I'm stumped.
Trying to program the aswc1 fails, after initializing manual programming mode it says to hold VOL UP until the led goes out. it never does. At one point I saw the green LED on it would light up as I pressed a wheel button, so it totally knew it was receiving input but still nothing happened on the unit. Avh-1300nex

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would follow the instructions for which wires on the controller to use.

I found two sets of instructions for the connections on Metra's site. I would reach out to them for clarification.
sounds like either using the wrong controller wires or the wrong radio setup.

Their tech support should be able to help
J

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I would follow the instructions for which wires on the controller to use.

I found two sets of instructions for the connections on Metra's site. I would reach out to them for clarification.
sounds like either using the wrong controller wires or the wrong radio setup.

Their tech support should be able to help
J
If I can't get it going today I'm going to forget about it, it's been torn apart for 2 and a half days now and have to button it up today.
I'm thinking the aswc1 might be faulty or something. Gonna give it one more try today.

That's the thing, there are no instructions, so i dont know for sure which wires to use.

When I plug in 2016 frontier SV, it says (pasted)

ASWC-1 Instructions for 2016 Nissan Frontier SV
The ASWC-1 has not been tested with this vehicle. Call us at 1-800-253-8324 for further information.

I'm gonna try updating firmware on the stereo and aswc1. The behavior is like the 3.5mm plug is not plugged in at all. Wondering if the stereo is the culprit.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Finally got it working, they had instructions for 2017 but not 2016. Pretty lame. Didn t really even do anything differently, it just decided to work all of a sudden. The aswc1 seems pretty finicky. I did update the firmware on both but it still didn't work at first directly afterwards. Got VOL and seek so I'm happy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks, JRobb.

I just swapped a Pioneer headunit into my 2016 CC SV and your thread helped immensly with the PAC wiring. It was a little more work than the ASWC-1, but works so much better! And the PAC instructions leave something to be desired.

Thanks again for posting!::smile::

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to say thanks, JRobb.

I just swapped a Pioneer headunit into my 2016 CC SV and your thread helped immensly with the PAC wiring. It was a little more work than the ASWC-1, but works so much better! And the PAC instructions leave something to be desired.

Thanks again for posting!::smile::
Excellent. I'm glad it helped.

The wonders of the internet.

Can you post a closeup of your headunit and the trim kit you used? I'm still having trouble finding one that fits around my JVC.

J

·
Registered
23 Posts
Excellent. I'm glad it helped.

The wonders of the internet.

Can you post a closeup of your headunit and the trim kit you used? I'm still having trouble finding one that fits around my JVC.

J
It's kinda dark. But it's the metra kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks.

I have the same one. I had to cut the Sh$t out of mine to get it to fit my JVC. It fit the dash panel fine but the bezel of the headunit was taller than the kit by about 1.5mm. 1.5hrs of Dremmel and test fitting and cussing I had it shoehorned in the dash.

J

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks.

I have the same one. I had to cut the Sh$t out of mine to get it to fit my JVC. It fit the dash panel fine but the bezel of the headunit was taller than the kit by about 1.5mm. 1.5hrs of Dremmel and test fitting and cussing I had it shoehorned in the dash.

J

Yeah. Can't see it in the dark. But i had to pry the mess out of the dash on the right side to pop it in the opening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am about to start this project on my 18. I have to start out and say thank you for lining everything out! It has helped out tremendously.

I started soldering the wiring harness last night, was pretty straight forward. I was hoping you could give me a little more information on the backup camera. I haven't actually pulled the dash yet because I am still waiting on one part. maybe that will make the connections more clear. Do you have a pin layout for the AX-NIS24SWC-6v to mouser 32 pin connector, or another picture of the camera connector connected to your made cable?

Also, have you been happy with the external mic? I was thinking about buying the 18 FSM because I wanted it anyway, but would also outline the wiring for the 2 mics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am about to start this project on my 18. I have to start out and say thank you for lining everything out! It has helped out tremendously.

I started soldering the wiring harness last night, was pretty straight forward. I was hoping you could give me a little more information on the backup camera. I haven't actually pulled the dash yet because I am still waiting on one part. maybe that will make the connections more clear. Do you have a pin layout for the AX-NIS24SWC-6v to mouser 32 pin connector, or another picture of the camera connector connected to your made cable?

Also, have you been happy with the external mic? I was thinking about buying the 18 FSM because I wanted it anyway, but would also outline the wiring for the 2 mics.
My truck didn't have a stock camera. So, my aftermarket camera was just input into pioneer and tapping into the reverse signal relay in the engine bay. Really easy.

My external mic with the Pioneer sounds great, just sitting on my dash.

Maybe JRobb can help out with the stock camera.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok I'm getting ready to order a new headunit and one of things that stands out to me is that Crutchfield is recommending the PAC SWI-CP2. Any have any insight into this versus the SWI-RC?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I personally use the SWI-RC. Works OK. The website says the SWI-CP2 replaces the RC. And is supposed to be hella easier. But can't comment as to real world experience.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts