Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Frontier SV 4.0L with only 47,000 miles on it and recently noticed a knocking sound that is noticeable when driving around for a little bit (warmed up) under a load of roughly 1,500 RPM's and 35-45 MPH. I paid to have a Nissan Dealer troubleshoot and they said they could not get my truck to make the noise. I brought one of their employees on a ride with me and he heard the knocking like sound. They put my truck up on the lift and used a Stethoscope on the front Differential and said that is what was making the noise and communicated that it needs to be replaced. I then brought my truck to a Mechanic who specializes in Differentials and he said he does not think the problem is my front differential. Now, I research and come across this helpful site where people are expressing the timing chain issues with the 4.0L Nissan Engines and I am wondering if this slight knocking are early stages of the timing chain problems that others are having? I called the Nissan Dealer today and they said nothing was showing in the TSB. I am also wondering if I should trade this truck in now? It is paid off and I own it. Also, what wording would be good to communicate to Nissan Goodwill to show them I know they are aware of this issue with these engines? Is there documentation out there on this for proof? Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
47k miles is just broken in. The timing chain guides do have problems. But I don't think they would knock. And if anything, much later in life. The tech who said something about the front diff was blowing you off.

Replacement trucks are expensive. I would let the problem run and it fit fails, fix it. Cheaper this way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts