Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new frontier SV with standard radio non navigation model. Songs I have on a burnt CD play fine but when I put those songs onto a USB drive it will play some songs but not most of them. I have looked online and couldn't find a definitive answer to this problem. I have almost 500 songs and don't want to put them onto CD's just to listen to them.
Also songs did play on an aftermarket alpine cd player I had in my last car. But I don't want to have to add a new receiver to my new truck.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wish I could help ya. 2016 SLVR 4x4 with base radio. I have 1439songs on a USB stick. Plug it into the USB in the console and it works and reads fine. I have the song categorized by artist, then album, and I can navigate up and down the tree without issue.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
You did not say whether the CD's were standard audio CDs or just loaded with digital 'ripped' files. I'm going to guess that the audio files are not in the correct format on your USB drive.

A number of things to look at...

1. Format the USB stick using a FAT32 file system. Some players have trouble with NTFS (the new default for Windows) and other file systems.

1. Group the files into directories. Some audio players freak out with more than 256 files in the root directory.

3. Make sure all the files are in .mp3 format. Most CD rippers will write .mp3 files. The player may support .wma .wav or others, but not always. Pretty much all support .mp3

4. If none of those fix the issue, try encoding the .mp3 at a 192bps fixed bit rate and try it. Some players are also picky about the bit rate (many don't like variable bit rate (VBR) files. This should be a setting in your ripping/encoding software.

Sorry for being somewhat generic. I have the Rockford NAV system in my Frontier, so I am not familiar with the other factory sound systems. The recommendations above will generally get you in the ball park.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, Yes they are songs burnt onto a CD downloaded from frostwire. I'm not sure how to put them in FAT32 or even how to tell if they are now in that format or not. Or how to change them to wma or another file type.
Would it work if I got an Ipod and put the songs on that or would I still have the same issues?
Thanks guys for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Sorry, Yes they are songs burnt onto a CD downloaded from frostwire. I'm not sure how to put them in FAT32 or even how to tell if they are now in that format or not. Or how to change them to wma or another file type.
Would it work if I got an Ipod and put the songs on that or would I still have the same issues?
Thanks guys for your help.
Few things:

FAT/FAT32 is a file system. You select this when formatting your drive. To do this (assuming Windows) R-click on drive letter (under Computer/MyComputer) and select FORMAT. Look for the option FILE SYSTEM. If it says FAT, you're done. If it says NTFS select FAT from dropdown menu. It will take a few minutes and Erase Everything Currently On The Drive. Once done, transfer your files to the USB drive.

All head units have a maximum drive size they can address as well as folder number and file number. Often they also have a limit on filesize (becomes an issue when you encode .mp3 @320kbps). I believe 16GB is the largest the stock HU can read fully. When I plug in my 32GB drive it only reads about 1/3 of the music files and not always the same 1/3rd...

Converting to different music formats (.mp3 .wma .flac ...) requires software capable of re-encoding. Many do this, but if you are not familiar, just re-rip the CDs and choose .mp3 when it asks which file type. .mp3 has become teh de-facto standard despite M$ doing everything it can to keep its file type (.wma) alive. 9/10 times when you buy digital music today it is in .mp3 format. You have to look to find it in other formats. Even Apple moved to .mp3 when they gave up on their content control schema several years ago.

Moving your music to an iPod or other music player may fix your issue as its the iPod playing the music and the HU is just serving as an amplifier/speaker.

If you need more hands-on help on formatting drives, identifying music file formats, you can stop into a BestBuy and ask a Blueshirt to help you...

·
Registered
544 Posts
I was going to comment on the size of the memory stick too. I've not utilized this feature on my truck yet but the same happens on my boat in that if the gig size is too big it has issues with...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts