Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 2WD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can install an OEM head unit with navigation in my SV truck?
My truck has a shark fin antenna on the roof, I am not sure if that contains the GPS antenna as well.
It looks like 2015-2018 models have the same type of head units.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
You should be able to swap in a newer OEM head unit with some rewiring, but from what I’ve seen it will take some work depending on what harnesses are in the dash compared to which year/model OEM head unit you end up buying.

Also, IIRC the shark fin antenna on the roof only houses the XM-radio antenna.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 2WD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found these two head units on eBay. Both units look identical, both the front and the back. Sentra unit is cheaper than the Frontier unit. Does anyone know if there is a difference in these head units in terms of functionality since they have different part numbers (last 5)?

This one is from a 2018 Frontier and has this part no: 25915-9BM0B
This one is from a 2016 Sentra and has this part no: 25915-4AF1A

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV KC 2WD V6 Auto
1,303 Posts
I found these two head units on eBay. Both units look identical, both the front and the back. Sentra unit is cheaper than the Frontier unit. Does anyone know if there is a difference in these head units in terms of functionality since they have different part numbers (last 5)?

This one is from a 2018 Frontier and has this part no: 25915-9BM0B
This one is from a 2016 Sentra and has this part no: 25915-4AF1A
If you’re planning to upgrade the radio in your 2016 SV truck, be aware that the radio wiring in your truck is very different from an OEM navigation radio. Either radio you selected will fit in your 2016 SV Frontier, but not without serious rewiring.
Did you notice that the Sentra radio is missing the blue plastic part on one of the antenna connectors?

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV KC 2WD V6 Auto
1,303 Posts
If you’re planning to upgrade the radio in your 2016 SV truck, be aware that the radio wiring in your truck is very different from an OEM navigation radio. Either radio you selected will fit in your 2016 SV Frontier, but not without serious rewiring.
Did you notice that the Sentra radio is missing the blue plastic part on one of the antenna connectors?
One more thing… if you decide to skip trying an OEM navigation radio and instead upgrade to a newer non-nav OEM radio, you can only upgrade to a 2017 (or downgrade to a 2015 or 2016) non-nav OEM radio. The 2018 model non-nav radio looks the same as older ones, but the 2018 and up non-nav OEM radio uses a dual microphone setup that a 2017 and older Frontier doesn’t have.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 2WD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more thing… if you decide to skip trying an OEM navigation radio and instead upgrade to a newer non-nav OEM radio, you can only upgrade to a 2017 (or downgrade to a 2015 or 2016) non-nav OEM radio. The 2018 model non-nav radio looks the same as older ones, but the 2018 and up non-nav OEM radio uses a dual microphone setup that a 2017 and older Frontier doesn’t have.
Thanks for the info. I may stick to the maps on the phone than trying to upgrade to a unit with navigation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts