Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just bought a used Nissan frontier 2016 crew cab 100,000 miles when I started in the morning it’s sounds like there’s a little bit of timing chain noise but after the idle comes down and the car warms up it’s barely recognizable . And after driving in a while I don’t hear the sound at all. I’ve been following some threads here and some people say it’s not a problem but other people say it is a problem can I get your opinion please

·
Premium Member
12,572 Posts
ooooof.

if its new or new to you, take it back to whoever you bought it from and force them to do the repair.
i bought a frontier with 115k on it making chain noise and didnt repair it until close to 180k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your feedback yeah I’m kind of pissed because I bought it from a used car dealer and they had to know about it when I went to look at the car I’m assuming the engine was already warmed up and I didn’t hear the noise

·
Premium Member
12,572 Posts
i buy close to a half dozen of the vq40 vehicles a year and force people to leave it cold so i can hear it for the first start of the day or i wont even show up.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
I thought that the chain whine issue was resolved after the first few years of the Gen2. The examples of chain whine I have heard is very pronounced.

·
Premium Member
12,572 Posts
I thought that the chain whine issue was resolved after the first few years of the Gen2. The examples of chain whine I have heard is very pronounced.

thats funny you say that.
ive been arguing with people for YEARS its not been fixed.

youd need to redesign the chain and how it rests on the shoe.
but i only have so much fight before i let the posts go.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
thats funny you say that.
ive been arguing with people for YEARS its not been fixed.

youd need to redesign the chain and how it rests on the shoe.
but i only have so much fight before i let the posts go.
Fight Fight. Oh Andy, you got plenty of fight left.

My 06 did not have this issue, my co-worker 06 X, got it bad. I thought it was due to a batch of poorly stamped chain links that left a sharp burr. Not the chain/shoe interface. But I never looked into it in detail since I don't have the issue...yet.

·
Premium Member
12,572 Posts
i keep hearing the roller chains are much better design than the links.

i think that, coupled with a better shoe and youd be set.
i have a 2008 with 200k on it and its as quiet as my 2019, so i dont think you are wrong by any means.
i do also think that the design itself is flawed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
MY '12 with a 140K the timing chain is slightly rattly/louder on the first cold start of the day when
the temperatures are above say 40deg F. I have read it is because the hydraulic tensioner
bleeds down more when the oil is thinner so the chain tension is on the lower side. This lasts for well less than 1 second. Then no extra noise.

At sub freezing temps it does not do this because the tensioner doesn't bleed down.

My oil analysis shows no weird metal or "other" substances.

I am not that concerned about it.

YMMV

Reactions: ubertalldude

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mine does this, too. 2017 w/115k miles. Loud rattle for about 1/2 to 1 second on a cold startup, then a nice quiet engine.

It's not the same noise as the fabled timing chain whine, this is (apparently) due to the hydraulic tensioner not having tension since the oil pressure is down on a first startup of the day.

I was worried about this, but I bought it with 80k miles, currently have 115k, and I choose not to worry about it. I have heard from other members on this forum that it's somewhat normal due to the design of the cam chain tensioning system in these engines. I could just be coping by telling myself that, but alas, I'm not taking apart my engine to "fix" an issue that disappears as soon as the oil pressure builds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I see that people talk about a 1-2 second noise,
ooooof.

if its new or new to you, take it back to whoever you bought it from and force them to do the repair.
i bought a frontier with 115k on it making chain noise and didnt repair it until close to 180k.
Andy Was yours a 2016 , and was your noise the 4-5 minute noise I am hearing, or the 1-2 second others are talking about? it is really a shame, after 5 minutes, the engine purrs like a quiet kitten.

·
Premium Member
12,572 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, I see that people talk about a 1-2 second noise,

Andy Was yours a 2016 , and was your noise the 4-5 minute noise I am hearing, or the 1-2 second others are talking about? it is really a shame, after 5 minutes, the engine purrs like a quiet kitten.
I experienced what you are describing.
Not what a couple of others posts are talking about.

The whining goes away as the engine warms up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
On my '05 the noise never went away. Took it apart and sure enough the shoes were almost gone. Only other thing that I can think of during initial start is the hydraulic tensioner for the main timing chain. Takes a second or two for it to fully pressurize and makes quite a noise from the timing chain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had I timing chain guide wear out in my 07 at 50k warranty replacement so saved me a bunch. Had no issues in my 18 up until it got totaled at 61k. Hopefully that is all that is wrong. My 07 went on to 213k no issues in motor at all. Good luck, but do get it looked at pronto

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The chain tensioner relies on oil pressure. Without it, the chain goes slack, and gets noisier.

Some of the cheaper oil filters have oil anti-drainback valves that don't work very well - which allows the filter to go partially dry after it's been sitting for a while. Result: Less oil pressure during a cold start, until the oil pump fills the filter back up.

So - You might try doing an oil change, installing a top-quality oil filter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The chain tensioner relies on oil pressure. Without it, the chain goes slack, and gets noisier.

Some of the cheaper oil filters have oil anti-drainback valves that don't work very well - which allows the filter to go partially dry after it's been sitting for a while. Result: Less oil pressure during a cold start, until the oil pump fills the filter back up.

:unsure: Interesting point. Good reason to stay away from Fram then?? Or stay with OEM?

·
Registered
76 Posts

Did not know that either, before my frontiers I would have gone out and looked for perceived better or best on a lot of parts. After great experience with how well my frontiers held up on oem parts I have just stuck with them entirely. That is what they designed and warranty. So far so good, just a thought

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I just bought a used Nissan frontier 2016 crew cab 100,000 miles when I started in the morning it’s sounds like there’s a little bit of timing chain noise but after the idle comes down and the car warms up it’s barely recognizable . And after driving in a while I don’t hear the sound at all. I’ve been following some threads here and some people say it’s not a problem but other people say it is a problem can I get your opinion please
Thumper803, what is your latest update on your situation? I have a 2016 Frontier SV 4.0L with only 47,000 miles on it and recently noticed a knocking sound that is noticeable when driving around for a little bit (warmed up) under a load of roughly 1,500 RPM's and 35-45 MPH. I paid to have a Nissan Dealer troubleshoot and they said they could not get my truck to make the noise. I brought one of their employees on a ride with me and he heard the knocking like sound. They put my truck up on the lift and used a Stethoscope on the front Differential and said that is what was making the noise and communicated that it needs to be replaced. I then brought my truck to a Mechanic who specializes in Differentials and he said he does not think the problem is my front differential. Now, I research and come across this helpful site where people are expressing the timing chain issues with the 4.0L Nissan Engines and I am wondering if this slight knocking are early stages of the timing chain problems that others are having? I called the Nissan Dealer today and they said nothing was showing in the TSB. I am also wondering if I should trade this truck in now? It is paid off and I own it. Also, what wording would be good to communicate to Nissan Goodwill to show them I know they are aware of this issue with these engines? Is there documentation out there on this for proof? Thank you everyone!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts