Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I have a 2016 frontier SV CC with the 4.0L. When the engine temp is cold, like anything under 50 or 60 degrees at a cold start, the engine sounds like crap.
It doesn't knock, but it doesn't sound very good for such a new engine. Once it warms up a little bit it sounds normal, but if you need to jump in and go it sounds horrible under acceleration for the first mile or so. And I'm not talking about beating it or revving it way up, just normal driving.
I can't wait to see what it will sound like if it makes it to 100,000 miles.
Anyone else notice this happening to their truck?

I have had my oil changed at the dealer early every time, actually one time at a local shop as I couldn't get to dealer, but this hasn't been hurt, and has been cared for. This has sounded like this since it cooled off in the fall, probably the last 5-8000 miles? I think it wasn't noticed before due to the warmer temperature. It gets toasty here in SC. lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
Rocker noise?? It is pretty loud until it warms up. 96k on my 11. No issues. Don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,276 Posts
The last 4 Frontiers and Pathfinder were way quieter than my newest Frontier but sure all is well so I just sit for a minute longer before driving off.
Want to hear a racket you should hear my Rogue when cold but quiet after a few minutes.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
Rocker noise?? It is pretty loud until it warms up. 96k on my 11. No issues. Don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VQ engines don't have rockers. The cam lobes push down directly on bucket tappets on top of the valve springs.

Reactions: madmac and Tom75

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2017 is pretty much the same way. It's not a lot of noise, but it is there when first started. This weekend it was in the 20s so it was a little louder than normal. I joked with my wife it sounds like a diesel if you start it up and take off before it's had time to warm up very long. I usually start it up and give it a few minutes to warm up before I'm ready to leave for work. I did the same with my Silverado that I traded for the Frontier. The Silverado had the common Chevy lifter tick on start up, but I never had a minute of trouble with it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The last 4 Frontiers and Pathfinder were way quieter than my newest Frontier but sure all is well so I just sit for a minute longer before driving off.
Want to hear a racket you should hear my Rogue when cold but quiet after a few minutes.

Clint
I have a 2011 rogue and I can attest to them being quite noisy when cold. Besides the 2.5L ruckus the CVT sounds broken when cold. We did have a 2012 altima coupe before that and it sounded even worse. That too was a 2.5L CVT.

As far as startup noise people have said different oil filters and types of oil help. Might want to experiment with that.

·
Super Moderator
11,276 Posts
I buy Nissan filters 12 at a time since all my nissans use the same one and always same start up noise. I had while driving out of state needed a change and used a purolater filter once and same sound.

Clint

Reactions: Tom75

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the only vehicle I have ever owned that sounded like this, aside from maybe some old worn out stuff I had had in the past. For a new truck it sounds horrible.
It sounds like bottom end noise. I'm not one for warming up anything. I just drive a little easier until it warms up a bit. I lived in the northeast for most of my life, even at zero degrees I let my vehicles warm up on the road unless I needed defrost to work before I got rolling. My last truck was an F150 with a 4.,2l V6, around 80,000 miles and it never made a peep hot or cold. Truck before that was a 97 Ford ranger 4.0l with like 160k on it (paid $650) for it and drove it for a year. It also never made any engine noises and I only changed the oil on that truck 1 time in a year, drove it to work daily and beat the heck out of that one.
I have a 60K miles warranty from Nissan and a lifetime power train warranty from the dealer, so it doesn't worry me, it will get fixed on them if it detonates. Just wondered if it was just my truck or all of them. Sounds like all of them.
Now I know I am not alone, haha. Thanks to everyone for chiming in!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2016 .It started when the temps went below 40 at night.it went down to zero here last night.
I do not hear a noise until accelerating .Sounds like a diesel almost.i thought at first it was piston to wall clearance issue like I have encountered on hm products.then I got to thinking the factory tune was putting too much timing advance when cold.
I checked with my torque app and Bluetooth elm 327 adapter scanner .If you have a Android phone you can see what is going on for about 5 dollars for the adapter and another 5 for the app.anyhow when accelerating when very cold for the first minute or so. The noise will be there until the second the computer adds timing then bingo noise gone.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: madmac

·
Registered
214 Posts
Same here. I just keep RPM speed down until the oil gets warmed up and then it's all good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I notice that it doesn't need to warm up much before the noise goes away. Do you think it is more of a timing issue and less of a mechanical issue? I remember having old carbureted engines and if you got the timing a little too retarded (if memory serves correctly) it would give a diesel sound under acceleration. Makes sense if the computer doesn't adjust for the temperature correctly.

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
The noise comes from the cam followers. It is designed in. It is a solid mechanical connection and not a hydraulically dampened one. The clearance is set to a tolerance warm. This means there will be a little noise when cold until the engine warms and the metals expand. Once again, Nissan designed the engine this way. There is nothing wrong, it's just how it is built. Does it sound bad? kind of. Is it going to cause the engine to self destruct? No.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am guessing you will find the same I do with a scanner that can see live day through the obii port.
When the timing sdvances it goes away .Then it will come back at the next traffic light until you get on it enough to have the computer advance the timing .

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I will just run it and not worry about it. Sounds like a common sound from what everyone is saying. I will just keep it serviced to keep the lifetime power train warranty in good standing in the event that it is more then normal. lol Soon it won't be below 50 here until next Nov-Dec so I won't hear it for a while!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts