Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm a little confused. Hoping you can help me out.

A couple of weeks ago, my dad calls me up and tells me that he went out and bought a 2016 KC Desert Runner, the same exact Forged Copper color as my 2016 KC/SV. Very, very cool I'm thinking, but..

We get into a discussion where he points out that he doesn't have a backup camera. My truck has the Value Truck Package, his doesn't, but I thought the Desert Runner included everything that the SV had, "plus" XYZ.

I know that the dual climate control is part of the VTP, but shouldn't he have gotten a backup camera as part of the base Desert Runner package?

Color me befuddled.

Wayne

·
Registered
554 Posts
I looked on the Nissan site and it seems the rear view monitor is not available on the Desert Runner.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Not sure if he's in the market for one, but he can get a back up cam set up fairly cheap on Amazon - went with CCD cam that has good night vision, grid lines and upgraded my head unit for viewing.

Another cheap solution is updating the mirror and adding a cam.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers guys.

Follow on question please?

On the Honda Goldwing (motorcycle), even if you don't buy the model with fog lights, the wiring is already there to simply buy a kit and plug/play it. That way, Honda Techs don't have to spend hours running cabling if the owner wants to buy it after the initial purchase...

Relating to the Nissan Frontier, does anyone know if the wiring is already there in the tailgate on the Desert Runner for my dad to simply replace his OEM handle with an OEM handle w/camera, then it'll work, or is he going to have to do a full runner install all the way forward from the tailgate to the head unit?

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2016 DR and the Nissan dealer said the head unit does not support adding a back up camera and I would need to do a full aftermarket install including a screen to view the images.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts