Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Frontier crew cab 2wd. Bought new with 6 miles on it, now has 10,000 miles. Serviced at 4000 and 8800 miles. I don't care for how brakes work. Dealer checked at both services and say brakes are working 100% as they should. The pedal is fine, not low or anything. Just seems like I have to step on them a little hard to stop how I want to.
So I am thinking of swapping out my pads to something more aggressive. I'm not normally too hard on brakes ao I don't care if I get shorter pad life, as long as it works how I want it to. Anyone have experience upgrading brakes on their Frontier? Or know of a good pad upgrade to check into?
Mike Rowe was selling brake pads on TV a while ago, supposedly stop much shorter than average pads? Might see if I can google to see what he was selling?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have fun looking.

I just looked into pads and rotors recently and you'll find all kinds of brakes and opinions. Kind of too many choices for me, where I'd be okay with OEM but not the dealer prices. ($96/rotor $74/brake pad on each side) And probably made it more complicated for me than it had to be.

I think Hawk pads were mentioned several times on this board and well regarded.

In general though I think the Frontier's brakes are a bit softer than regular cars. There have been at least one other thread talking about this. I'm used to it and find other cars to be too senstive with the brakes. But it sounds like you already know that this is normal for the Frontier.

But people have mentioned changing pads making a difference. In that previous thread mentioned, I think someone mentioned changing out the brake lines too to make a difference.

If you take a look at Rock Auto they'll categorize the pads by performance. ie economy, daily driver, etc. And you can look into it from there. I think they don't have EBC and Hawk which you might want to look into as well. They're carried on autoanything. Amazon carries a lot of them too and you might want to compare prices.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, this does seem to be normal operation for this truck. It isn't like it is bad, but not what I prefer.
I was looking into those new Wagner OEx pads (mike rowe had commercial on them advertising 50ft shorter stopping distance). The OEx pads don't seem to be available for the 2016 yet. They have Wagner quick stop and quiet stop pads. Not sure if either would be better than Nissan OEM?
I did see Hawk mentioned somewhere. Never heard of them. But I will look into them.
Pads certainly make a difference. My wife had a 2010 Honda Element, we replaced pads and rotors via an ebay purchase. Probably made somewhere where they don't even have cars yet. lol But anyhow, they seemed ok but pads wore down fast. I replaced pads with silver grade pads from advance auto and it was like getting a new car again. The quality of the ebay cheapo pads i got were just poor.
With the frontier though, I really don't know the quality of pads Nissan uses. Hate to buy regular pads and find out that they are same as what I have. Was hoping to find something that claims to be an improvement at least. Wanted to look at cost of Wagners OEx but seems like I can't find them online for the 2016. I might call OReileys, they sell Wagner. Maybe I can order them. Looks like the OEX pads sell around $50 a set, so $100 ish for the front and rear isn't bad. If I can find them. I will keep searching other options as well!

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Some ramblings:
I had a Ram 2500 loaner for 10 days back in June. What a difference in brake feel. I barely had to tap on the Ram's pedal...compared to the long pedal feel of my '15 SV's. My gal's '13 Honda Fit is similar to the Ram and it always takes me a few stops to reacquaint myself...
With all this being said, I can't say that my Frontier's brakes are weak...just different. I feel I can better modulate with more/longer pedal travel. AND, then there's the frictional component of the tires on the pavement. When it is time to stop, well, the tires need to make it happen just the same. Have heard too many times how LRR (low rolling resistance) tires generally require longer stopping distances. Not saying our trucks come with OEM LRR's, but the contact patch with/on the pavement does indeed play the final role in braking, whether aggressively or casually.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wanted to look at cost of Wagners OEx but seems like I can't find them online for the 2016.
Try the 2015, they are the same (OEX1094).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a little quick research and you are right. It does appear that the 2016 is uses same pads as the 2015. Good news! Thanks for the heads up on it!

·
Registered
216 Posts
You're welcome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just swapped EBC pads and EBC ultimax2 rotors on the front of my 2012 and it definitely made a difference. Much quieter brakes and definite improvement in performance. Downside is they produce a bit more dust. I got the whole kit for 110$ shipped. 2 pads 2 rotors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts