Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2015 SV crew cab in January of this year and let it set a week or so and it started, ran fine and then at my sons baseball practice I was on my phone with the engine off and the dash lights start flashing and several gauges start jumping. I check and no we are not in the on position and I complete removed the key to see the dash lights still going crazy and got video on phone and then is started and ran fine, no issues. I had to drive another vehicle for 3-4 days and didn't start the truck and got the flashing dashboard with the exception it threw an engine code, low transmission fluid. It was under warranty so I took it to the dealership and they put it on the computer, said the transmission was just hair low and took care of it and battery was low on volts but within acceptable norms. I showed them the video of the dash lights going crazy and they had nothing from their mechanics or in their database about such behavior. I drive it from January through spring, summer and into fall and this morning I drove it to work and my son borrowed it to take my daughter to drop off her vehicle in the shop for a nail in her tire. I go to lunch and to take my daughter to pick up her truck and when we approach my truck we hear the radio playing, except the keys are in my pocket. I unlock the door and the dash lights are on and off and the radio is playing. I put the key in and try and start and get nothing. I'm thinking low volts, probably battery at this point, it is 4 yrs. old. I turn key again and it turns over and it's not a slow grinding crank, it's got some oomph in it. Still wouldn't catch. I called maintaince for a jump and we try that, same result. Right now my dash lights are still on and off and ever few minutes you can hear a click-click-click down behind the battery. Any clues?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Corroded battery posts ?
See this thread:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yes, this happened to me last year. The problem was the positive battery cable. It was changed out and all is well.

Difficult problem for the average owner to diagnose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Electrical problems are always the fun ones! Like they said, check your terminals first. If they’re clean and corrosion free, time to start searching for frays or bad grounds...

·
Registered
87 Posts

This is a ground point right at the base of the battery that really needs to be cleaned up. I took this apart scrapped and cleaned and used electrical star washers to remount the terminal. I didn't tear the harness apart but appears to be the main ground for the battery ! A majority of electrical problems are BAD grounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It turned out to be a bad battery. It was low volts. Cable was fine. The battery was going on 5 yrs. old, it came with the vehicle in 2015 turns out. They changed the battery and it threw a ton of low volt codes which were cleared one at a time and they never hit again. Thanks for your input!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Surprising that a bad battery would give you all these weird issues, especially with the key out. Strange. Glad it's resolved and thanks for posting the solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts