Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Club Cab SV with towing package - though i have not been towing. mileage 40k
I have been looking at the service recommendations through the search. Interesting. I am used to doing tranny, radiator etc. on all my vehicles.
Looked through the manuals etc and could find nothing other than brakes.
I do regular oil changes and use mobil one. Do it on all my vehicles.
Did brake fluid at 30k.
The manual lists nothing else :surprise:, nothing other than air filters etc. No radiator flush! No Tranny flush!
Is this correct? I am happy not spending money if that is the case.
Let me know what the truth is gang.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I found the radiator at 105k or 7 years and it is not listed in the maintenance book. Brakes are clear at 20k. But I could find nothing on the tranny! It is an automatic and the manual tranny is done at 40k

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
youre right. odd. i see though it shows a 'premium' maintenance is 30k for trans and diffs... I will probably do diffs at 30k but trans not sure...

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
The transmission fluid is synthetic and Nissan recommends inspections at every 15,000 miles, but no service intervals for replacement. Unless you do a lot of heavy towing, you really don't need to replace the transmission fluid frequently. I do a drain and fill every 50,000 miles using Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic ATF, which comes in a 1-gallon jug and I can pick it up at my local Walmart for $18. A drain and fill takes about a gallon of ATF and the Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic ATF is perfectly compatible with the NissanMatic Type "J" and "S" ATF (as well as Type "D" in older Frontiers). The drain plug gasket is the same as the oil pan plug's: Nissan # 11026-01M02.
As far as the coolant, Nissan started the switch to Nissan Blue long-life coolant in 2010, which is actually Pentosin Pentafrost A3 and is good for 10-years/130,000 miles, though Nissan recommends a shorter service interval. Diffs I service every 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
605 Posts
One of the things to consider is Nissan maintenance guide is miles OR time, which ever comes first.

at 40K the main items are: (from 2016 frontier guide).
Change Oil and Filter
Rotate Tires
Transmission Fluid 3,4
Front Differential Fluid 4,5
Rear Differential Fluid 4,5
Transfer Case Oil
Replace Brake Fluid for severe operations
Multi point Inspection

3.Automatic transmission fluid except for 370Z and NV 1500/2500/3500.
4 Replace (not just inspect) oil/fluid if towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads.
5 Differential oil on 370Z, Armada, Frontier, Rogue AWD, Pathfinder AWD, Titan, Xterra, Murano AWD, NV 1500/2500/3500.

If you have a good shop they will be able to tell if the fluids need to be changed or not.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I would do tran, both diffs, and tran case - why not? - easy to do and doesn't cost much, I use Valvoline full synthetics. I did all at about 30k (tran case oil appeared the dirtiest) - tran again at 35k - will probably let them all go until about 75k or 100k now. For few dollars I also changed the rear dif breather valve - it was corroded a little but don't think it was sticking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts