Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned and driven a 2015 Nissan Frontier for almost three years. Up til a week ago, the vehicle has performed flawlessly. It still drives great...but, there is now an annoying "chiming" or "twanging" sound when making a right-hand turn. The local Nissan dealer had it for a day in their service department. After lots of looking and diagnostics, the source of the noise was not identified. I made a short video which includes the sound. Listen closely to turns 1, 3, and 4.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
could it be a tire rubbing against the mud flap? i cracked one of mine one day (going hard in the paint of course) and i noticed when i make certain turns in reverse or at a steep angle it will rub every so often...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I hear the noise but hard to tell where it is coming from. With my mysterious noise, it was at 3 different shops before they found where the noise was coming from.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Check for exhaust rubbing against something.
Check body mounts for loose or missing rubber bushings.
Check gas tank and filler pipe for tightness.
Be sure spare tire is very secure.
Check for stuff rolling under your back seat.
Put some weight in the bed to see if it changes for better or worse.

·
Premium Member
10,237 Posts
If it’s the strut mount bearing open the hood and turn the wheel back and forth, you should not need the truck to be rolling to isolate that part.
If you have or someone you know has a go pro camera you can mount it in various places to see for sure which area it Is and then focus more until you find it. Sad that the dealer can’t find it, today too many don’t have detective skills to track things down.

Clint

Reactions: MiniDuti

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went through this not to long ago with my 2015 PRO-4X CC. I had a bumping noise on right turns and when hitting certain bumps. I was convinced it was a strut / shock, sub-frame, something with the suspension that was shifting around under load and/or turns.

Turned out it was the plastic/rubber util-track protector sliding in to the front of the bed up near the cab and making the bumping noise. The protectors normally (at least on my other 2 Gen 2 Fronty's) didn't move around, but for some reason the right one does on this truck and caused the bumping noise.

Gremlins can come in all shapes, sizes and noises. Best of luck to you on find your Gremlin.

·
Registered
565 Posts
So I agree, it does sound like a twang that a coil could make, but our coil assembly doesn’t twist with steering like a Mcpherson strut, and it doesn’t have a ball bearing like a Mcpherson strut does. So it theoretically should not be twanging like that on turns like you see with a bad bearing on other strut styles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have owned and driven a 2015 Nissan Frontier for almost three years. Up til a week ago, the vehicle has performed flawlessly. It still drives great...but, there is now an annoying "chiming" or "twanging" sound when making a right-hand turn. The local Nissan dealer had it for a day in their service department. After lots of looking and diagnostics, the source of the noise was not identified. I made a short video which includes the sound. Listen closely to turns 1, 3, and 4.
i had a low speed noise while turning right. turned out to be the antenna loose wobbling around. sounded just like suspension.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’m suggesting it is the left front strut. When you turn right, it throws the weight of the vehicle on the left front. Hence, all the pressure goes on the left. I’d look at the strut bearing or spring pocket. It it’s determined to be bad the easiest plan is to replace both struts with new springs attached. KYB makes a complete replacement unit.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Before you go replacing parts make sure you figure out where the noise is coming from. Hopefully when you respond to your post you will have found your answer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts