Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is it possible to bring it to a place that can ‘flash’ the ecu and have them just cut air or fuel or both so it idles better? Just a software patch?

·
Registered
2011 4x4 KC SV
123 Posts
What you are talking about is a custom flash tune, but your truck is reporting it cannot enter closed loop fueling. I don't think any respectable tuner will tune an ECU that is reporting trouble codes.

How much have you driven it? I know it must be annoying to drive due to the high idle, but I think it needs some miles if the only codes you see are for Bank 1 and 2 closed loop control.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What you are talking about is a custom flash tune, but your truck is reporting it cannot enter closed loop fueling. I don't think any respectable tuner will tune an ECU that is reporting trouble codes.

How much have you driven it? I know it must be annoying to drive due to the high idle, but I think it needs some miles if the only codes you see are for Bank 1 and 2 closed loop control.
Thanks. It’s my daily, i put 20-40 miles/day on it easily. A/F codes came back, I’ll replace those sensors first, then do another throttle position relearn.

·
Registered
2011 4x4 KC SV
123 Posts
Thanks. It’s my daily, i put 20-40 miles/day on it easily. A/F codes came back, I’ll replace those sensors first, then do another throttle position relearn.
Did all of the codes come back? (P0031, P0051, P0037, P0057) If so check that fuse again. Maybe you have a short. You should be able to use a multimeter and check the resistance between the two wires of the same color on the sensors. Those should be the heater wires. Normal range is between 1.8 to 2.4 ohms for the front sensors and 9.9 to 13.3 ohms for the rear sensors. Check all four.

You can also check from each of those wires to all of the other wires. You should get a reading of infinite resistance, same as when the meter leads aren't touching anything.

If you do need new sensors, Denso is the OEM, but NTK are good as well.

The sensors are ceramic inside and are sensitive to shock. Dropping them, or even rough handling of a pipe or manifold they are installed in can damage the sensors internally.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a very similar issue when I tried the idle relearn procedure on my moms Maxima with the VQ35. Her high idle RPM's were actually outside the range of "possibility" for the computer to enter the relearn procedure. Basically....the Maxima was idling at 1.5k when warmed up, but the relearn procedure could only be entered if the RPM's were within say 500-1.3k. If that makes sense?

After you get your O2 sensors sorted and fully functional, try the relearn procedure again. If it doesn't work, then I'll provide you with what I did to force the Maxima to enter relearn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I’m finally making progress! I fixed the wiring to my aft oxygen sensors, then replaced the fuse again. Check engine light came on again after 20 min of driving, but different codes. I’m getting catalytic converter codes (which I was expecting due to cat delete) and now I’m finally getting an idle code. I completed idle re-learn procedure again, truck still idles too high. I’ll give it a week or two, perhaps run the procedure again. View attachment 323097

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Question, on the final procedure for relearning the idle speed for the frontier, one of the requirements is that I have a 12.9 V charge. Should I put the thing on a charger to read that? Seems to me a fully charged battery is about 12.7. Of course I could measure my voltage and see what it is at after driving and warming everything else up, but I have not heard anyone mention the charger so I’m just curious what the normal procedure is for this

·
Registered
2007 Nissan Frontier NISMO CC
211 Posts
fyi, it took me many attempts relearning the idle speed for it to take.

·
Registered
2011 4x4 KC SV
123 Posts
Question, on the final procedure for relearning the idle speed for the frontier, one of the requirements is that I have a 12.9 V charge. Should I put the thing on a charger to read that? Seems to me a fully charged battery is about 12.7. Of course I could measure my voltage and see what it is at after driving and warming everything else up, but I have not heard anyone mention the charger so I’m just curious what the normal procedure is for this
When the truck is running the battery voltage should be 13.5 or so up to 14.5-ish as long as the alternator is working. You shouldn't need to worry about this, but maybe check the voltage manually just to rule it out.

Something else I thought about: you should make sure the engine computer does not think the electrical load switch is activated. There are a number of things that can trigger this, like the AC system, power steering, defogger, etc. You should be able to find a monitor for it with your reader. It will be something like "electrical load" ,"load switch" or maybe "load signal". Just make sure when you have the truck sitting at idle with the A/C off, steering wheel at neutral position, etc. that the monitor reads "off", or whatever indicates that your truck is not targeting a higher idle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just for grins, this is a video of my truck on a cold start. I guess just wondering if someone would verify they think I’m on the right track, once I get the lower idle to hold.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Everyone, thanks so much for your inputs. TRUCK IS FIXED. I did the idle relearn for the 10th (or 15th? 🤔) time today. And it finally dropped idles! Truck drives like a dream again!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Everyone, thanks so much for your inputs. TRUCK IS FIXED. I did the idle relearn for the 10th (or 15th? 🤔) time today. And it finally dropped idles! Truck drives like a dream again!
What was wrong with it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, once I got the wiring replaced for the oxygen sensors that fuse stopped blowing. Then, with my air fuel sensor is working, I just needed to do the idle relearn a bunch of times before it took. I don’t know if I did it wrong or what but eventually procedure worked.

·
Registered
2011 4x4 KC SV
123 Posts
Awesome. Great to hear.

·
Registered
2007 Nissan Frontier NISMO CC
211 Posts
glad its fixed!! - I think it took mine 7 or 8 times (sorry I didn't reply sooner, yes that is the source I used as well)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts