Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I hope this is in the right place. My dial up internet here in Alaska is $h!t! Desperate and turning to you guys for help.

2 days ago I hit 40k miles in my 2015 frontier pro 4x. My clutch was slipping and wouldn't engage in first till hitting 3k RPMs. First time i has noticed this and just 30 miles later down the highway my clutch failed completely. The nearest dealer is in Canada over 100 miles away and they said they will not cover any clutch work under warranty and quoted me $3800 to replace the clutch! None of the small shops around here will give me any solid quote and don't know what would cause the clutch failure so early on.

I drive mostly highway, have only driven manuals and never had a clutch go out even after 100k+ miles. I towed a 1500 lb boat trailer for 3k miles but drove very conservatively.

Any ideas what would have caused the clutch to fail so soon? Should that be covered under Nissan warranty?

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Can't say that I'm in the total-know on your issue. But, can say your clutch going out at ~40k (miles, or kilometers, eh?) sounds premature. I believe you when you claim to have driven conservatively...and at the same time I can see how any vehicle manufacturer might drag their feet on such a 'wear item' as a clutch when it comes to a claim (whether under warranty or not).

Our V6 Frontier clutches are Dual Mass in nature which is designed to help contain NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). In my readings around here, and IFF I was in your shoes...I would install another OEM clutch and hope for the best. YMMV

Keep us posted as to how this progresses. My money is on an independent shop performing this procedure for semi-significantly less than $3800.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,358 Posts
Sorry to hear about your clutch issue. I have an auto so I have never looked into clutch warranty - but I have had other wear items that needed replaced and Nissan's warranty isn't that stellar on some items, so I am not surprised to hear that they are saying 'no'

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
The way the warranty booklet reads for my 2009, the basic and drivetrain warranties apply to defects in materials and workmanship only, so you'd have to somehow convince either Nissan or the individual dealership that this was a defect and not simply wear and tear (which is explicitly excluded). The only clutch components listed under the drivetrain warranty are the clutch cover and housing. I did have a clutch replaced under warranty but I had to fight for it.

You should be looking at somewhere around $2K for a clutch replacement at a US dealership or independent shop (I know this because I had to recently have mine replaced again and received several quotes ahead of time). It's 8-10 hours in labor alone and the flywheel cannot be resurfaced so needs to be replaced. Even in Canadian dollars, $3800 sounds absurd.

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
you can do it yourself for just a few hundred dollars. nissan did something right when making these trucks, they are incredibly easy to work on.
if you started early am you would be done by that evening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's not good news, but thank you for confirming the price. I did have an independent shop quote me $1900 CA until I told them the flywheel can't be machined. And that put the quote at $3,000 CA.

Whats frustrating is that the dealership I bought it from said that they would most likely cover under warranty due to the early failure. When you fought it with Nissan did you go through the dealership? My problem is finding any contact info to make some noise to Nissan haha. I submitted a contract form and am waiting to hear back.

What really confuses me is how the clutch went out. I was in 5th gear going down the highway at 60mph when it suddenly went out. Not while shifting or anything. Also it didn't show signs of failure till maybe 100 miles before it happened.

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
When you fought it with Nissan did you go through the dealership? My problem is finding any contact info to make some noise to Nissan haha.
I had burned some bridges at my dealership and the last thing they wanted to do was help me out. I ending up contacting Nissan's Consumer Affairs department to get the matter resolved. The phone number should be somewhere in the warranty booklet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can't help with the warranty side of things, but I think it needs to be taken apart to figure out what failed. It will be hard to get them to cover it without knowing what the issue is.

IF the disk just delaminated and disintegrated itself, then you could probably only replace the clutch disk. The disk only is $113 for the 6MT on the VQ40.

At that low of mileage unless you slipped it until it died, I would not expect the flywheel to need to be resurfaced. Same with the pressure plate, it may be ok as well.

Prices for OEM parts:
Clutch disk: $113
Pressure plate: $153
Dual mass flywheel: $405

Kits on Rockauto:
Sachs clutch kit (flywheel, disk, throwout bearing) $304
LUK dual mass flywheel: $246

It will take a few hours to get the transmission out and back in, though.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I am about to replace the clutch in my '08 Frontier.
I looked at a bunch of options for parts and ended up getting an Exedy clutch kit and the OEM Nissan flywheel.
Total parts of $648.00 (includes shipping) The rest will be my labor. Of course that is here in the states and in US dollars. It has been 20+ years since I replaced my last clutch but it really is not a difficult project, once you get it out of the truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts