Back to the drawing board with the sway bar. With the holes drilled I could find the wall thickness of the sway bar. This plus the overall diameter of the bar plus a good guess on the material gave me a good idea of the torsional stiffness of the sway bar. All of my calculations are based on 7.2" of travel because the next phase of mods for the truck will include 5100s and some SPC upper arms.
In order to get full articulation on the front of the truck with a stock sway bar, you need 3700LBS of force differential on the stock sway bar. Well, the whole truck only weighs around 4800LBS, so the bar is way too stiff. I wanted around 1000LBS of force differential to achieve full articulation. Oh ya, I should mention that I work for an aerospace company as an electrical engineer and have access to some really bright mechanical engineers and all of the software you can imagine.
So, we decided to cut the center section out of the sway bar and replace it with some DOM tube. The ID of the stock sway bar came in at .775", so we settled on DOM at .875" OD and with a .188 wall. That way when I turned it down in the lathe, the wall was still plenty thick to weld. We turned the ends of the DOM down to .774" which gave us a .001" slip fit. The DOM ended up being 20.625" long and we had 2" overlap on the joints at each end. Attached are some pictures of the fabrication work.
The ride is now amazing. The front suspension is truly independent now and body roll around corners has not increased to where you can tell unless you really drive hard and even then it is still tolerable. So, going straight down the road, it rides like there is no sway bar installed but cornering is really close to where it was with the stock sway bar.